Page 14 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    I am just so happy right now.

Just got back from Rocket Bar in DC with what seemed to be every other Dukie living in DC right now! WHAT A GAME! I'm so happy for our seniors, I'm happy for Nolan and Kyle, I'm happy for our sophs and the rest of our squad. I'm SO happy for C-Well, who finally got his ring that he deserved. I'm happy for Coach K and the rest of the coaching staff. I'm happy for Art, for D.C., for Bob Harris and the rest of the Duke radio team, for the Cameron Crazies, for EVERY alum...HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!

TITLE #4! HOW SWEET IT IS!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    The Duke team gets to say hey to Reggie Love in a little bit when they get invited to the White House!!!!!!
    Bill Burton, the White House press secretary, tweeted a hashtag #reggielovewilbeannoyingtommorrow

http://twitter.com/billburton44

Awesome...besides, Reggie already has one of those National Championships...

Ok so here it goes.

They pretty much had the optimum situation after the rebound. It was a sharp linear rebound. It could've easily skated off and wasted more than 2 seconds.
    But the clock doesn't start until the ball is touched.

Im thinking K was hedging. In 100 situations, perhaps they get a good shot off 5 times. If we hit the freethrow, perhaps they get a good shot off 20 out of 100.
    Possibly, but in the first situation, the 5 good shots they get will win the game. In the second situation, the 20 good shots just send it to overtime, where they have to hit more good shots to win the game. We need to know their odds in OT to correctly handicap this strategy. As they hadn't led by more than 2, I'm inclined to hit the free throw as opposed to giving them 20 good shots multiplied by whatever percentage they would have at winning in OT.

That said, I'm glad we're arguing a moot point here. I'm inclined to go with whatever K decides, win or lose. This year's been perhaps his greatest coaching job I've had the good fortune to witness.

party like it's 1999...

This one makes up for the loss in 1999 to UConn. That year we were the most talented team, but came up short. This year, we're not the most talented team, but won it all. It's been a very, very satisfying season.

Quote Originally Posted by jimrolf View Post
    This one makes up for the loss in 1999 to UConn. That year we were the most talented team, but came up short. This year, we're not the most talented team, but won it all. It's been a very, very satisfying season.
    I feel EXACTLY the same way. For whatever reason, this really makes up for '99.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaDuke View Post
    But the clock doesn't start until the ball is touched.

Possibly, but in the first situation, the 5 good shots they get will win the game. In the second situation, the 20 good shots just send it to overtime, where they have to hit more good shots to win the game. We need to know their odds in OT to correctly handicap this strategy. As they hadn't led by more than 2, I'm inclined to hit the free throw as opposed to giving them 20 good shots multiplied by whatever percentage they would have at winning in OT.

That said, I'm glad we're arguing a moot point here. I'm inclined to go with whatever K decides, win or lose. This year's been perhaps his greatest coaching job I've had the good fortune to witness.
    Still the rebound was a favorable one. It could have went off to one of the sidelines and been in an awkward position for a player to grasp it and pass to a racing shooter. I definitely hear the argument of worst case scenarios. Thats what makes this so difficult for me to comprehend. But after watching the press conference, Butler's coach was not expecting this strategy and neither were the players. Element of surprise may have some play in this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaDukie View Post
    Hmm. It just occurred to me that my nerves would have been so much calmer with some liquor in my system. Wish I had thought of that, but I was glued to my TV, and wouldn't have left to go to the kitchen.

I'll rectify that tomorrow, for sure.
    That's why I didn't start drinking till after the win. Couldn't leave the madness!

What just happened? I've had my eyes shut tight the past 4 hours.

Still the rebound was a favorable one. It could have went off to one of the sidelines and been in an awkward position for a player to grasp it and pass to a racing shooter. I definitely hear the argument of worst case scenarios. Thats what makes this so difficult for me to comprehend. But after watching the press conference, Butler's coach was not expecting this strategy and neither were the players. Element of surprise may have some play in this as well.
    To quote K: "What the hell. It worked!" and a classic K grin.

Good enough for me.

I apologize to those who question the strategy of Zoubs intentionally missing the last freethrow, but it was my call and it was necessary. As I texted K just before Brian stepped to the line, "Have him miss. We're out of beer and there's no way we can handle an overtime.

Happily it worked.

And without getting into much detail right now, K made an excellent decision in having Zoubek miss the 2nd FT. It took guts to make that call, but I was glad to see him make it, however unconventional it may have been.

Quote Originally Posted by dyedwab View Post
    Bill Burton, the White House press secretary, tweeted a hashtag #reggielovewilbeannoyingtommorrow

http://twitter.com/billburton44

Awesome...besides, Reggie already has one of those National Championships...
    My reply:

There, I fixed that for you. RT @billburton44: Congratulations, Duke. #ReggieLovewillbeAWESOMEtomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by mike88 View Post
    given how we have won this year, it is fitting we win with a defensive stop- Kyle was huge tonight- clear MOP
    I agree with the defensive stop comment. It was fitting for this team. And Brian with the rebound was deserved as well!

It's great but...

My one regret is that we aren't more athletic.

Talking

holy cow. they did it.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedsP287 View Post
    Agreed. We were "alarmingly unathletic" after all.

Yeeeeeeeeeesssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are the champions!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BleedsP287 View Post
    Think how many regrets Gottleib has!!!!!

And finally, before I go to bed, The list is from a tutorial on how to win at poker, but I like it for basketball too with slight adjustments.

Overall Philosophy
    1. Why the stage of the tournament matters
    2. Why the blind levels matter
    3. Why the time left matters
    4. Why playing tight early in a tournament is wrong
    5. Why you may have to make the wrong play at the right time to win a tournament
    6. Why being aggressive is the mindset of winning a tournament
    7. Why you have to get lucky to win a tournament

And good-night to the champions and fans.