Page 13 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Congrats to the 2010 National Champions!

I was one of the guys who criticized Lance Thomas and Brian Zoubek earlier in the year. This title wouldn't have been possible without them, especially Zoubek's transformation starting with the first MD game.

Congrats to all the other DBR posters and fans who I have followed this team with over the past few years.

Hopefully we get #5 next season with Kyrie, Seth, Kyle, and Nolan.

I definitely agree that if Kyle and Nolan return, we will have a shot to repeat next year. With the incoming talent, and one more year on our young guys, the possiblity is there for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post
    Woooooooooooo-hooooooooooooo!

I'm so happy for this team! Congratulations, Duke!
    Somewhere in the midst of all the Butler fanboy stuff, the espn bloggers made a good point, Duke's timeout on the inbounds pass in the corner with 13.6 seconds left was huge. The guys forced a timeout, which was Butler's last. How much would Stevens have loved to have that back 10 seconds later?

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    So... this team's freshman year, we went to Virginia, and lost a game in overtime. In that game, Sean Singletary hit a game winning shot that was essentially identical to the shot that Hayward took tonight. He drove to the right side of the lane, and took a fadeaway 12-footer over the extended arm of Josh McRoberts. Tonight, Hayward drove to the right side of the lane and took a fadeaway 12-footer over the extended arm of Brian Zoubek. Singletary made his shot; Hayward missed his. Zoubs went down to the other end and took care of business, and this team came full circle, ending up with national title #4 in an excellently played basketball game over a high quality opponent. All I have to say is, GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!
    That's uncanny...I remember that Singletary shot and how heartbreaking it was for me.

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    How many half-court heaves have you ever seen go in?
    Enough to not want to see one go in against us for the NC. Especially with the WIDE OPEN look he got. Ugh.

Great effort from this team tonight. They've been winning games like this all year - the gutty, gritty wins from teams that think they're going to out-tough Duke.

The way the game was being officiated really played into Butler's hands - they were able to push, grab, hand check and be that "feisty" mid-major team they've been all year. That really interrupted the flow of the Duke offense. But Duke squandered some chances to open the lead up several times and instead let Butler hang around.

What's great about this year's team is, in previous years, Duke would have probably lost this game. Instead, this team has all sorts of heart and that's what won it for them.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Enough to not want to see one go in against us for the NC. Especially with the WIDE OPEN look he got. Ugh.

Great effort from this team tonight. They've been winning games like this all year - the gutty, gritty wins from teams that think they're going to out-tough Duke.

The way the game was being officiated really played into Butler's hands - they were able to push, grab, hand check and be that "feisty" mid-major team they've been all year. That really interrupted the flow of the Duke offense. But Duke squandered some chances to open the lead up several times and instead let Butler hang around.

What's great about this year's team is, in previous years, Duke would have probably lost this game. Instead, this team has all sorts of heart and that's what won it for them.
    heart and defense. We tightened up a few times at the offensive end down the stretch but never let up defensively and it carried us.

The Duke team gets to say hey to Reggie Love in a little bit when they get invited to the White House!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GoingFor#4 View Post
    That's uncanny...I remember that Singletary shot and how heartbreaking it was for me.
    When he got to that spot on the floor tonight, I was having serious flashbacks. And they were not friendly.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Duke store's website crashed when I clicked on the champs gear!

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post

You have to give up something. K was bold and took the chance to win it. One thing I will say, I think not contesting that heave was the right move because ANY chance to call a foul on us there, I think the refs would've taken it.

I'm sweatier now than when I mowed the grass in this 80+ degree weather. Let people say what they want, this is our team's championship, they fought hard to win it. I have a lot more to say about DBR and how this board has been a great safe haven the past few years,its been pretty important to me. I'll try to post it tomorrow.

Do you think we'll have another homecoming video like the one we saw for the regional finals?

I would LOVE to get a glimpse of them returning to campus...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

My heart is still beating. Unbelievable game, I knew it was going to be tough even with every one saying it was going to be a blow out. Congrats to Butler. They are young and will be tough next year. This Duke team performed above expectations all year long and I am so proud of this team and so proud to be a fan of Duke. I have followed Duke for 31 years and I am so happy especially living in Terp Nation. Man I feel great!! GO DUKE!!
    The Terrapin Assassin

Woohoo!!!

Twice.

WOOHOO!!!

Exciting

Wow! What a great game! What a great season! What a great senior class, who we will be talking about fondly for years. Congratulations to a fantastic team that was physically and mentally so tough for the last month.
    Quote Originally Posted by dyedwab View Post
    ...Zoubs played 31 minutes...I think that's the most he's ever played in a game...in a National Championship game...in his senior year...

...an awesome little fact from an awesome win...
    Soneone in the pre-game thread noted that with 3 offensive rebounds, Zoubs would have the most of any player in any season at Duke. I believe he had 6. Great ending to an amazing story.

Woooooooooooohooooooooooooo!!!!

Duke Blue Devils 2010 National Champs! Love how that sounds. Loved the big plays by Kyle, Jon, Lance and Z.

I know this isn't the hater thread but I thought this post by Ken Pom on his blog about one of many e-mails he got in Feb and March on how Duke failed the eye test.

Ken,
    I spent many years as a sportswriter for [a newspaper] and always found your ratings useful. This season, however, is proof that your instrument needs some tweaking. Any ratings that have a middling Duke team ranked 12 slots higher than Villanova and 15 slots higher than a Georgetown team which disemboweled Duke head to head needs some adjusting. I know your matrix is supposed to make conference affiliation superfluous, but the ACC REALLY stinks this season, and your system doesn’t reflect what any set of eyes immediately tells us.
    —Somebody
    This is exactly why I think this team was so special this year. It wasn't a prototypical Duke offensive team but it embraced its strengths in offensive rebounding and made teams play their game. The defense didn't get in the passing lanes and force lots of TO's but was very effective. Kyle, Jon and Nolan were awesome all year. Lance was the glue guy all year. But Zoubek emerging as an interior PRESENCE starting with the first MD game was the key. Way to go big guy.

As Lance said in the post game presser, "To leave champions. To have our last game - leaving as national champions. We maxed out our season."

Yes you did guys. Congratulations all around

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    On a personal note, I'm really glad I got to watch this game with cousin Joe who provided me with about double my normal ration of beers to mellow me out as we watched the game. Otherwise I wouldn't have lasted to the end.
    Hmm. It just occurred to me that my nerves would have been so much calmer with some liquor in my system. Wish I had thought of that, but I was glued to my TV, and wouldn't have left to go to the kitchen.

I'll rectify that tomorrow, for sure.

I'm STILL wired up (and I've been up almost a full 24 hours now). This feels so good to do it again. Thanks to our guys SO MUCH. It was a great year win or lose but winning just makes it so much sweeter. Capt. had to break out some fine champagne for this event......

I think my heart rate is finally slowing

so I am going to try to get some shut eye. Work tomorrow. Hope the mods can post some video tomorrow of the Cameron celebration for the team. Congrats to the Duke Blue Devils and their fans.