Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

2010 AL East discussion

Not about the Braves but interesting none the less.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 04-05-2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Fixed content when title of thread changed

health is obviously everything but I'm very happy that the Sox have 3 very good starters locked up for the next 4 years..

Yankees and BoSox, with the Ray's close.

And come November, Yankees over the Philly's in 6. Nuff said
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Yanks/Sox

So the Yankees and Red Sox split the first two meetings. What does that tell us? Not a lot. Both teams got lousy starts from their aces ... both had some shaky middle reliever. Both got some good plays from their newcomers.

Today, they go at it again. First moment in the year-long smackdown between me and the Landlord (we have a verbal bet -- nothing but pride and public humilation on the line -- as to the relative effectivess of off-season pickups John Lackey by the Sox and Vasquez by the Yankees). Lackey is going for the Red Sox today.

Now, one start -- good or bad -- is not going to determine out bet, but it's a start.

BTW, the only potential outsider in the AL East race is in Tampa Bay and the Rays pulled out a come-from-behind victory yesterday -- with a lot of help from ex-Atlanta reliever Mike Gonzales, who melted down in the ninth.

How long before panic sets in over the Red Sox? 5 games back of the Yanks and Rays after only 12 games. Their offense just doesn't seem to be there and their idea of winning games with pitching and defense honestly never really sounded that good to me. Are they headed for a UNC style meltdown? Can't say I'd be too sad about that one either .

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    This Red Sox fan has already kinda given up on this season. To be honest, I hated the off season moves and I'm not very surprised. Sigh. Silver lining? You'll be able to get bleacher seats in August at a reasonable price, especially for a weeknight game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    This Red Sox fan has already kinda given up on this season. To be honest, I hated the off season moves and I'm not very surprised. Sigh. Silver lining? You'll be able to get bleacher seats in August at a reasonable price, especially for a weeknight game.
    You've gotta be kidding me. It's fricken April, and not even the end of April.

These teams are just sorting things out. The '04 and '07 teams each and longer periods of suck than the start to this season, they just happened during a period of games different than 1 to 10.

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    How long before panic sets in over the Red Sox? 5 games back of the Yanks and Rays after only 12 games. Their offense just doesn't seem to be there and their idea of winning games with pitching and defense honestly never really sounded that good to me. Are they headed for a UNC style meltdown? Can't say I'd be too sad about that one either .
    I'll worry in a month if things continue but it's way too early in the season...the biggest issues for the sox are not the new additions..it's drew, Ortiz, and Lester who are off to terrible starts.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    I'll worry in a month if things continue but it's way too early in the season...the biggest issues for the sox are not the new additions..it's drew, Ortiz, and Lester who are off to terrible starts.
    Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm certainly not counting the Sox out for the season. But I sure am happy with the results so far! And as far as slow starts go, Tex was batting .087 two days ago - 3 for 40. Of course, he did hit his first homer of the year today as the Yanks won again, sweeping the Rangers (and ARod hit his first yesterday!)

9F 9F 9F

rays sweep bosox

Tough call for a Yankee fan today -- Tampa Bay, tied with the Yanks for first in the East, going for the four-game sweep in Boston. Do you pull for the Red Sox to knock the Rays out of first or is it impossible to pull for the Red Sox?

To my mind, it's kind of like UNC playing another ACC team with first place in the conference standings on the line. I'd rather deal with being tied for first with Virginia, FSU or even Maryland before I'd pull for the Heels. The only exception would be very late in the season when the title is actually on the line.

This early, I'd rather bury the Red Sox than worry about the Rays. Maybe in late September, I'll feel differently.

But I'm not really ready to bury Boston. I still remember last year when the Yankees got off to a slow start (remember that they lost eight straight to Boston). It's nice (as a Yankee fan) to see them struggle, but anybody with any historical perspective knows its way too early to panic or to gloat.

All that said, it was fun to see the Rays complete the sweep on Patriot Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Tough call for a Yankee fan today -- Tampa Bay, tied with the Yanks for first in the East, going for the four-game sweep in Boston. Do you pull for the Red Sox to knock the Rays out of first or is it impossible to pull for the Red Sox?

To my mind, it's kind of like UNC playing another ACC team with first place in the conference standings on the line. I'd rather deal with being tied for first with Virginia, FSU or even Maryland before I'd pull for the Heels. The only exception would be very late in the season when the title is actually on the line.

This early, I'd rather bury the Red Sox than worry about the Rays. Maybe in late September, I'll feel differently.

But I'm not really ready to bury Boston. I still remember last year when the Yankees got off to a slow start (remember that they lost eight straight to Boston). It's nice (as a Yankee fan) to see them struggle, but anybody with any historical perspective knows its way too early to panic or to gloat.

All that said, it was fun to see the Rays complete the sweep on Patriot Day.
    We are in complete agreement. Rooting for the Rays vs. Boston. It's too early to fear the Ray

9F 9F 9F

schadenfreude

As a Yankee fan living in Boston, the next few days are going to be fun. This season is far from over and the Red Sox have way too much talent not to make a run, but this city is in full panic... E.g., Bill Simmons (Espn Sportsguy) just tweeted the following: "Just went into my attic, pushed around 12 boxes of Xmas lights, found the Red Sox panic button, dusted it off & pressed it." I can already hear the calls to sports radio tomorrow. Also, you can expect an exceedingly negative article from Dan Shaughnessy.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    We are in complete agreement. Rooting for the Rays vs. Boston. It's too early to fear the Ray
    It's important to remember that the Yankees, Rays and to a lesser extent () the Red Sox are essentially competing for 2 playoff spots. It is in the best interest of the Yankees to have the Rays bury the Red Sox and then the Yankees will end up in the playoffs regardless.

If I was a Red Sox fan I think I would think about panicing after this start. Not just because of the record but because of how the offense looks. The offense looked like it might struggle coming into the year and that is exactly what's happening. It's probably a little more pronounced than expected but... like BostonDevil I wasn't a big fan of the moves the Red Sox made. How long before Mike Lowell is DH?

I think the idea of "panic" over an 8% sample size of something is...ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke4Ever32 View Post
    I think the idea of "panic" over an 8% sample size of something is...ridiculous.
    What do you think of election polls?

terrible analogy. in fact, i wouldn't even call it an analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by YourLandlord View Post
    terrible analogy. in fact, i wouldn't even call it an analogy.
    Who said it was an analogy? People often panic based on a much more limited sample size than 8%. It was a simple counterexample.

Like I said before... if I was a Red Sox fan I would be much more concerned with how the team looks than their record (the record doesn't help though).

Not much, if they're based on only 8% of the eventual 100% knowledge that a particular voter will use to determine what candidate they vote for when they arrive at the polls.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke4Ever32 View Post
    Not much, if they're based on only 8% of the eventual 100% knowledge that a particular voter will use to determine what candidate they vote for when they arrive at the polls.
    Now that was a bad analogy... Are the Red Sox only using 8% of what they know about how to play baseball? That may explain a lot...

Now that was a bad analogy... Are the Red Sox only using 8% of what they know about how to play baseball? That may explain a lot...
    I think so, based on current results. You just wait until they start using the other 92%, then you are freakin' going to be AMAZED!!

What I meant is that only 8% of what will happen this season is known. Knowing 8% of something isn't enough to make me comfortable speculating as to the other 92%. It's not enough to extrapolate. It's like saying, well, the Yankees won their first game, so they're going to go 162-0 this year, based on the early results.

And, honestly, there are 4 teams I cheer for. Here are their results over the past 10 years:

1) Duke - 2 National Championships, Coach K wins Olympic Gold
    2) Boston Red Sox - 2 World Series Championships, Reversed the Curse
    3) Pittsburgh Steelers - 2 Super Bowl Wins, Won one for the thumb and the other thumb
    4) Boston Celtics - Won a championship the next season after putting the Big 3 together (Pierce, Garnett, Allen)

With that record over the past 10 years, the Red Sox could lose every game of the season from here on out and things would still be golden for me.