Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Duke Asst Coaches... Who is the next disciple?

Who would you like to see as the next disciple of Coach K? What specialty would he contribute to Duke or college basketball as a coach?

My choices:
    Lance Thomas: After a little Coach K tutelage, he could be a great defensive & big man coach (in the short term).
    Greg Paulus: After a little Coach K tutelage, he could be a fiery young mid-major head coach (in the short term).

Note: This thread is not about trashing folks. This thread does not mean the chosen disciple will be a washout in professional basketball (domestic or foreign). Additionally, this thread does not mean our current coaches should be removed.

Background: I was a student & Cameron Crazy when Chris Carrawell & Nate “B.A.” James were Duke players, but it never crossed my mind they would be on the sidelines as coaches. Now, I know they contribute something to Duke that may have been missing for a long time.

Who do you think is the next disciple?

zooooooooooooobek!

Jon Scheyer: Head Coach, Duke University

Honest-to-god, I read down through each of your's and thought, "Yeah, I agree. It should be him.", only to get to the next one and agree just as much!

I will say, unless it's Brian's undying passion, he can probably make just as much with his degree in finance; or at least close enough to make up for the difference in the stress load.

We are very fortuate to have these guys here...

s.i.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleIrish View Post
    Honest-to-god, I read down through each of your's and thought, "Yeah, I agree. It should be him.", only to get to the next one and agree just as much!

I will say, unless it's Brian's undying passion, he can probably make just as much with his degree in finance; or at least close enough to make up for the difference in the stress load.

We are very fortuate to have these guys here...

s.i.
    Brian is going to spend some time in the NBA first... He WILL make an NBA roster, count on it.

Jon would be my guess, although I think Lance would be a great guy to have as well... can we get them both? Or perhaps Johnny needs an assistant out at Stanford or Tommy up at Harvard...

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Jon Scheyer: Head Coach, Duke University
    As much as I love the guy, no.

I can't stand listening to him speak. Bleh...

BUT, if there is anyone on this roster that could be a standout coach it'd be Lance. I don't see Greg coming back and coaching, but he definitely would fit in. Watching the Carrawell and James teams back way back when I never would have thought they'd be court-side in suits contributing to the Coach K success tree, but they are...and in retrospect I can clearly see why. The passion and fire that those guys had on the court is the true essence of leadership, something we'd be hard-pressed to find any stronger than in LT.

I'd love to see Zooubs as an assistant coach, if only to shut up those who like to harp on the fact that our big-man coach is 5'11"

Grant Hill!!!

I'd be happy to volunteer!
    No charge, just for the seat at the end of the bench and the awesome swag

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Brian is going to spend some time in the NBA first... He WILL make an NBA roster, count on it.

Jon would be my guess, although I think Lance would be a great guy to have as well... can we get them both? Or perhaps Johnny needs an assistant out at Stanford or Tommy up at Harvard...
    I agree that Z will make NBA roster(s), but what makes you think that Jon won't? Jon has a lot of skills that could very well find themselves desired by teams in the NBA. He needs to become a more consistent shooter, but he often does drain 5-10 3pt FGs in a game. Plus he has a good handle and gets the ball to the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by peblnh8 View Post
    zooooooooooooobek!
    zoubs, point guard coach.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    haha, thanks for that start to the day

Jon Scheyer

Jon, first as the Graduate Assistant. I have rarely -- if ever -- seen an individual with the basketball savvy, work ethic, team focus, brains, articulateness, and discipline that Jon has already demonstrated. As for his eventually becoming our head coach, it is obviously far too early to speculate.

Quote Originally Posted by grc5 View Post
    I'd love to see Zooubs as an assistant coach, if only to shut up those who like to harp on the fact that our big-man coach is 5'11"
    Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Great job phaedrus. Duke should hire Zoubs to coach point guards. But also keep Wojo coaching the big men. Then we could watch the exploding heads on DBR.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It will be a few years before we'd see any of the current team on the bench again. Here's my list from past players for the next guy in a suit.

1. DeMarcus Nelson (Not sure what he's up to, but I always loved his attitude)
    2. David McClure (currently playing for Quinn Snyder in the D-league, hard to beat that for guys to continue learning the game from)
    3. Sean Dockery (Like DeMarcus, not sure what he's up to)
    4. Lee Melchionni (currently an NBA agent, going to law school at night, so he'd be a long shot, but I think he'd be good on the bench)
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 04-05-2010 at 11:41 AM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

IF such a chance were to arise... It wouldn't break my heart to see someone new on the bench that hasn't been drinking the dark blue kool-aid, so to speak.

I dont have any particular candidates to name

Jay Williams?

Who's yer daddy?

I like Zoobs or Grant Hill of the former players mentioned but I can't believe no one said Shane! Oviousy he's going to be busy for he next few years but afterwards come on home Shane!

Johnny D. should be the next Head Coach, not to push K out the door...

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I agree that Z will make NBA roster(s), but what makes you think that Jon won't? Jon has a lot of skills that could very well find themselves desired by teams in the NBA. He needs to become a more consistent shooter, but he often does drain 5-10 3pt FGs in a game. Plus he has a good handle and gets the ball to the right people.
    I thought about that on my way to work after I posted it. To be totally honest I know very little about the NBA, don't watch it, don't read about it, and I don't follow the Blue Devils who are in the league, so I can not even guess if Jon will make a roster or not. I really hope he does, but I do know that 7"1" guys that have ANY type of skill make the NBA if for nothing else than practive fodder. Not saying tha Zoubs will be practice fodder, he probably will be a contributer at some point. But there are a lot less 7 footers to go around than there are 6'5" two guards.

I wish them all the VERY best, but I just cannot get into the NBA...
    Last edited by oldnavy; 04-05-2010 at 01:45 PM.

Duhon...

Dunleavy - which makes a huge amount of sense...