Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

MBB: NCAA Championship Game - Duke Vs. Butler Pre-game and In-game thread

Discuss here

2. Is anyone worried as I am that Duke will actually be favored in this title game?

I kinda liked that most of the "experts" were picking Baylor and WVU to beat us.

Butler is going to be a tough, tough game. They're like Purdue but with a better offense.

Honestly idc how we win, but I can tell you I've never wanted a game so badly.

I'm worried, but mostly just because losses are always possible if the other team just goes nuts (see NC State game), and it would be such a letdown after achieving so much. But I'm not concerned that duke won't show up.

Every game since Cal we've been hearing "well, sure we manhandled (last game), but we haven't seen a Defense like (next game)", yet we keep looking better and better.

For the first time since the Purdue game I have that "man, a loss would be embarrassing" feel that comes with being the consensus favorite.

Lets bring it home guys!

What was all that talk a few months ago about how we needn't worry about our regular season road record, because the NCAA Tournament takes place on neutral sites? While I thought that discussion was more or less irrelevant, I doubt any of us saw this possibility coming.

Playing Baylor in Houston, and now Butler in Indianapolis, should make up for any remaining arguments that Duke's path has been underwhelming.

It's the first championship matchup between private schools in 25 years, but let's hope the Villanova-Georgetown comparison ends there. If such things interest you, the road team is a 6.5 point favorite.

This is going to be good.

The way I look at it is no matter what our offense does or doesn't do our defense keeps us in games. People and "experts" focus so much on what teams other than Duke have they forget to realize that Duke's defense is amazing and if we don't have our best offensive game it is ok because our D will keep us in it.

I can't describe how amazed I am knowing that there is a good chance that Kyrie, Curry, etc.. could be coming in trying to repeat rather than win a NC for the first time since 2001.

I hope that the starters and Plumlees can create some separation in the championship game so that coach K can clear the bench in the waning minutes. I'd like to see everyone get in the game for a moment if nothing else.

We were favored in every game we played this tournament. No, not by the "analysts", but by people who put their money where their mouths are.

Vegas had us favored in every game, we were a 3 pt favorite over WV and for this game Duke has opened as a 6.5 pt favorite.

Hey guys I can't help but think that the Ncaa gave us this, we got the easiest bracket ever!!!!, we didn't even have to work hard for this, Wait Right?

Think WV, Baylor, Purdue, and Cal agree they are part of the easiest path to the NC in the last 25 years?

Better yet ... How would St. Johns of the near future fair against such a line-up of tourney opponents? Sadly, I feel we'll NEVER know!!!

The main worry I have about the Butler game is the West Virginia game that we just played. I don't see any way we can play as well, shoot as well as we did in that game. I expect some let down. That being said, I think that the Purdue, Baylor and West Virginia games are good preparation for us to play Butler. If we play with the same intensity we played those three we have a great chance.

I expect a tough gritty, grabby game.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    The main worry I have about the Butler game is the West Virginia game that we just played. I don't see any way we can play as well, shoot as well as we did in that game. I expect some let down. That being said, I think that the Purdue, Baylor and West Virginia games are good preparation for us to play Butler. If we play with the same intensity we played those three we have a great chance.

I expect a tough gritty, grabby game.
    A little like '91 following the UNLV win, and we had to face Kansas. But, this team ... They'll be okay. I have 100% confidence they'll show up Monday. They may not stroke 13 3s, but they won't have to. Butler's a terrific, talented, disciplined, formidable team, but OUR team ... They're special.

Duke's a match-up nightmare, first of all. Who's gonna guard Z? Hayward (6'9" 207)? Howard (6'8" 230)? Don't they have to put Hayward on Kyle? If so, who covers LT and the Plums? Butler basically only goes 7 deep, and all but Hayward and Howard are 6'3" or under.

And, Mack's a terrific PG, but has he faced on-ball D like Nolan will apply? Jon's 6'5" and crafty as hell. Who's gonna stop him?

Obviously, Butler's faced and successfully dealt with mismatches from Syracuse and MSU, but I honestly feel like they haven't faced anything like the Duke D.

I think we'll come out calm, prepared, and confident on Monday - not cocky and overconfident - a healthy focus. This team will find a way to win.

Quote Originally Posted by LSanders View Post
    A little like '91 following the UNLV win, and we had to face Kansas. But, this team ... They'll be okay. I have 100% confidence they'll show up Monday. They may not stroke 13 3s, but they won't have to. Butler's a terrific, talented, disciplined, formidable team, but OUR team ... They're special.

Duke's a match-up nightmare, first of all. Who's gonna guard Z? Hayward (6'9" 207)? Howard (6'8" 230)? Don't they have to put Hayward on Kyle? If so, who covers LT and the Plums? Butler basically only goes 7 deep, and all but Hayward and Howard are 6'3" or under.

And, Mack's a terrific PG, but has he faced on-ball D like Nolan will apply? Jon's 6'5" and crafty as hell. Who's gonna stop him?

Obviously, Butler's faced and successfully dealt with mismatches from Syracuse and MSU, but I honestly feel like they haven't faced anything like the Duke D.

I think we'll come out calm, prepared, and confident on Monday - not cocky and overconfident - a healthy focus. This team will find a way to win.
    This post gives me so much confidence for our team on monday.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluelemur View Post
    I'm worried, but mostly just because losses are always possible if the other team just goes nuts (see NC State game), and it would be such a letdown after achieving so much. But I'm not concerned that duke won't show up.

Every game since Cal we've been hearing "well, sure we manhandled (last game), but we haven't seen a Defense like (next game)", yet we keep looking better and better.
    I am sensing some solid confidence on our side. I am telling you that we had better take Butler seriously!! They EARNED their way here, they play terrific defense, can assert a physical game, will have 50,000+ rooting for them rabidly (particularly given our so-so track record in hostile facillities...), and will have the whole underdog theme motivating the (and refs?). What if all our shots aren't falling like Satrurday in that dome, what if we're getting into foul trouble... Yes, we'll likely be favorites in Vegas - but that can be as much name recognition as anything. This game is no gimme!

I do NOT want to be known as PHI-SLAMMA-JAMMA-II (with Butler reprising the NCSU role)...

Stay focused Duke...just one more to go!!!

Remember that Singler is iron (or maybe even steel) and some of that has rubbed off on the other players. We are battle-hardened! Butler may not have lost a game this calendar year, but they haven't played us!!!!

confidence is good.

over-confidence is not so much.

butler is legit. they didn't get here by a fluke.

yes, the cuse was injured. but they legitimately beat KSU

yes MSU was injured too, but they just grind and play tough defense and win.

we are the favorite to win this game, but it is definitely not going to be easy and a cake walk.

we better beware the bulldog

17. Don't forget that Butler has dealt with two very, very good perimeter teams: Kansas State and Syracuse.

It WILL be a defensive dogfight. We cannot afford to underestimate them.

How are the injuries on Howard and Mack looking?

I don't know why, I am getting the jitters again thinking about the Butler game.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    How are the injuries on Howard and Mack looking?

I don't know why, I am getting the jitters again thinking about the Butler game.
    Seems like they will be ok, I haven't heard anything different.

I agree that we overlook Butler at our peril. But, I don't believe that making such an error is in the genes of this team. They take it too seriously ... They fight too hard ... They love to be in the gym ... And, they love to play TOGETHER.

Like my post above, we'll be a match-up nightmare for them. More importantly, they have NOT played a team with as much heart and grit as Duke. In that regard, they'll be playing a mirror image of themselves ... But, with more size, depth, and at least as much skill.

And, though I genuinely admire Stephens, he ain't no K - at least, not yet.

Personally, I am not overlooking Butler at all. However, I am calmly confident about our chances. This Duke team inspires confidence.

To paraphrase a line from the movie, "Armageddon," ... After the journey this team has undertaken, it no longer knows how to lose.