Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    These two replies start to get at the point I wanted to make. At the beginning of the season it made sense for coach K to pair a Plumlee with a senior forward to help them get the hang of the Duke system, particularly on defense.

But once the Plumlees got it well enough to leverage their sibling athleticism on court together, it really helped Lance and Zoubs to be paired together, kind of like two veterans in tennis who are not dominant in singles but a heck of a doubles partnership.

Sure the offensive boards are huge, but Zoubs has improved substantially on the defensive end to rarely be in the constant foul trouble as used to be the case when paired with an inexperienced forward. He probably draws more fouls now on moving screens than he does on defense but has controlled that aspect to point he can play more minutes. His per minute stats have always been outstanding.

The fact that he can't jump well may actually be a plus in that he just keeps his hands straight up and still alters shots.

So much for the Duke/Wojo can't develop big men hypothesis, as no one will claim that he is the same player in year four that he was the first three years.

He has developed to point that was reasonable to play like a Luke Schensher. Conventional wisdom was that it takes a couple years with big men and in Zoubs' case, the nagging injuries porolonged that.

With Butler playeing 6'9", 6'8", 6'3", 6'3" and 6'0", Duke has a height/weight advantage all over the floor.
    Additionally, they do not bring in much height off the bench.

2. TBZE

I've been waiting and hoping for Zoubek to activate beast mode since I made him my DBR name in Dec 2007. He is finally fulfilling the prophecy.

I am confident Zoubek is going to dominate the boards Monday night helping Duke to a National Championship.

Potential...Perseverance...Power... this is how I will remember The Brian Zoubek Experience.

-TBZE

nice espn article on Z

A nice sum-up of Z's Duke career.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tourna...ana&id=5055071

This is more about the team in general, but I thought it fit the tone of this thread

One of the biggest reasons I'm so happy with this run is for the lasting legacies of these juniors/seniors on the program. Jon, Brian, Lance, Nolan and Kyle... they're all such great guys and great people, and have worked so hard and done everything the right way their whole careers. However, fair or not, players are remembered in light of the March success. It's why Jason Williams is a legend and a guy like Casey Sanders can come back and be adored even years later... in our memories, they'll forever represent that great championship team and "the glory days".

Regardless of what happens tomorrow, these five guys have cemented their status in Duke lore, and will always be looked back fondly upon. Especially given how much criticism and doubt they endured, I couldn't be happier for them. I think history will be kind to them.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    unfortunately no. In retrospect, it probably would have been wise to red-shirt him for a year. He could even have begun graduate school next year, the guy is very smart.
    As one who was skeptical of Z's footwork, I posted a couple of times that he should redshirt. Others more familiar with K's ways said K doesn't encourage redshirting.

In one sense it looks like a mistake not to have asked him to take a medical redshirt. Yet looked at another way, maybe Z wouldn't "fit" next year's team the way he's fit, and perfected, this year's team. Next year's team will surely be an entirely different animal, much faster paced. Although I have been surprised at Z's stamina and energy, I do look forward to the Plumlees getting up and down the court. Despite his amazing emergence, that's not Z's game.

So rather than bemoaning Z's "lost year," I'm more than satisfied at how beautifully things have worked out. No need to "what if" here. It's the 'what" that counts, and what Z has brought is an incredible surprise [except to those of you who knew what he had all along].
    Last edited by gumbomoop; 04-04-2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: typo

I like the tennis analogy, but when the Plumlees come in for Lance and Zoubek, and vice versa, it reminds me more of a line change in hockey. (Note: I'm not a hockey fan, but still) And it always makes me feel good -- here come these twin bruisers with total chemistry with each other. No other team in the country could match that kind of depth. The defensive acumen of Zoubek-Thomas; then the brute strength and athleticism of the Plumlees takes over. Must leave opponents' heads ringing.

These guys will always be remembered whether their jerseys hang from the rafters or not. MSNBC's blogger did a cool story a couple of weeks ago that ended, "here's to you glue guys," and I think that sums up how I feel about Z and LT. They are the glue guys. Going to bed now humming One Shining Moment.

Fear the Beard

So proud of our boys. Brian has worked so hard throughout his 4 years, and battling injuries. What a great year and time to breakout and be a leader and live up to his potential. Fear the Beard. Go ZOUBS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    As one who was skeptical of Z's footwork, I posted a couple of times that he should redshirt. Others more familiar with K's ways said K doesn't encourage redshirting.

In one sense it looks like a mistake not to have asked him to take a medical redshirt. Yet looked at another way, maybe Z wouldn't "fit" next year's team the way he's fit, and perfected, this year's team. Next year's team will surely be an entirely different animal, much faster paced. Although I have been surprised at Z's stamina and energy, I do look forward to the Plumlees getting up and down the court. Despite his amazing emergence, that's not Z's game.

So rather than bemoaning Z's "lost year," I'm more than satisfied at how beautifully things have worked out. No need to "what if" here. It's the 'what" that counts, and what Z has brought is an incredible surprise [except to those of you who knew what he had all along].
    It's true. Next year's team (especially if Smith stays, which I assume will happen) appears to be much more suited to play up-tempo. That's not really conducive to Zoubek's game.

This year's team morphed into the perfect fit for Zoubek - we slowed tempo, executed a methodical half-court offense, emphasized pounding the boards, and didn't overextend on perimeter defense. And he stepped up tremendously into the system.

I'm just so happy that Zoubek was finally healthy and strong enough to be an impact player this year. And I'm happy that the team's approach matched up well so that we could really take advantage of him now that he's healthy and strong. What a terrific way for him to go out on a very high note.

Here's hoping we get one more win tonight and he and Scheyer, Thomas, and maybe even Singler (though I hope not!) can go out as NCAA champions.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It's true. Next year's team (especially if Smith stays, which I assume will happen) appears to be much more suited to play up-tempo. That's not really conducive to Zoubek's game.

This year's team morphed into the perfect fit for Zoubek - we slowed tempo, executed a methodical half-court offense, emphasized pounding the boards, and didn't overextend on perimeter defense. And he stepped up tremendously into the system.

I'm just so happy that Zoubek was finally healthy and strong enough to be an impact player this year. And I'm happy that the team's approach matched up well so that we could really take advantage of him now that he's healthy and strong. What a terrific way for him to go out on a very high note.

Here's hoping we get one more win tonight and he and Scheyer, Thomas, and maybe even Singler (though I hope not!) can go out as NCAA champions.
    I agree with both you and Gumbomoop that maybe Z wouldn't fit in as well on next year's team. I will mention though, that Brian has been moving very well and a team can always use someone defensively who clogs the middle and communicates well. I wonder if he would have been even more valuable next year, if the team pressures more on the perimeter. Someone who can offensive rebound is always valuable as well, and it is not like Brian has been demanding a certain number of shots. If the team ran more, I still think Brian would have been a very valuable contributor, just not as a finisher on the break.

If Duke had Zoubek next year. the team's style might well have been molded towards him. He is just beginning to show in the last few games what kind of down low force he can be. He is also just beginning to show that he can catch and distribute, aka as against Baylor, as a true pivot player.

He might well have been a STAR player, in every respect on offense.

The strongest, by far, 7 footer in the college game, with inside moves, especially a nice hook delivered with balance and timing that would be alone unstoppable. You make your style fit his. Would the other four run? to their hearts' delight, but only try to finish if it was there. Otherwise, they would wait for Mr. Zoubek to come down and do his thing. That to me would have been the most likely scenario if Zoubek had another year.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    unfortunately no. In retrospect, it probably would have been wise to red-shirt him for a year. He could even have begun graduate school next year, the guy is very smart.
    This is from the ESPN article that Ambitiouspear posted above..
    "We spent a lot of time recuperating after surgery with Brian," Paul Zoubek said. "There were a lot of low moments, a lot of low moments, but he didn't want to redshirt. He wanted to play."
    It was Z's decision to continue, not the staff's. Read the article, he continuously talks about his drive to compete and prove himself. I've loved Zoubs for the 4 years he has been here, always waiting for that year when he would play significant minutes. It has been awesome to finally see that happen, we aren't playing in tonight's game without Z's contributions. We aren't even playing in the Elite 8 without Brian. Thanks Z for the 4 years, best of luck in your future. (NBA bound, and he's earned it)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

If my grandson ever wants to quit a sport (or anything else for that matter) for any reason, I'm going to read him the Brian Zoubec story...including all the mean things that were said about him on this board, including the times I screamed at the telecast "get the ball above your shoulders" (insert bad word here). Brian is the best example I've seen recently for not quitting on yourself, even when others quit on you. Thank you Brian, we were wrong, you were GREAT. I'll miss you so much.

Here's another article on the Bearded Beast of the East.

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/wri...;pageContainer

Loved it accept for that line about taking out one Butler.

Brian,

I do credit Duke's late-season resurgence to you! I think when you were able to step it up a notch on the rebounding and scoring end, that helped Duke step up a notch and that's where we are right now! Thank you so much for all your efforts, for your hard work in the practices, and for sticking with the program at Duke. Your hard work has paid off and hopefully, tonight you will stand on the podium with the whole team/staff and see that Shining Moments video as Duke's latest NATIONAL CHAMPION.

Go Duke!

dukestheheat.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Here's another article on the Bearded Beast of the East.

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/wri...;pageContainer

Loved it accept for that line about taking out one Butler.
    Butler dislocated his knee by planting his left foot and pushing dead right to jump past Zoubek. The knee went out (it feels like the lower leg moves past the femur and gets yanked back in alignment) way before contact.

Zoubek - doubters please line up to the left

I find it highly amuzing and gratifying to see some of the Zoubek haters from seasons past (and early in this season) stepping up and eating bits of crow. He proved you all wrong. That foul machine that shouldn't see the floor has become a "dominating" big man who is the difference in out final four run.

Although the most tasty bits of crow are being snapped up, there is still plenty to be had. So anyone who posted that Zoubek shouldn't start or that Miles or Mason should be getting more minutes than Z, let's hear you now.

Yeah, I know, most won't admit it. Which makes those that have even more impressive, props to you guys - credibility intact.

This might also be a good thread for those to fess up who doubted Wojo's ability to coach big men or questioned Coach K's line up or substitution pattern. Aw hell, those who thought K was overplaying Scheyer to the point of exhaustion can get in line too.

We probably have a better chance of seeing Santa Claus in line with the Easter Bunny and a classy fan from the WVU student section!

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Butler dislocated his knee by planting his left foot and pushing dead right to jump past Zoubek. The knee went out (it feels like the lower leg moves past the femur and gets yanked back in alignment) way before contact.
    I do believe we all know the circumstances of the injury, unfortunately this writer chose to throw in a dumb remark, which will be seized upon by Duke haters everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    If Duke had Zoubek next year. the team's style might well have been molded towards him. He is just beginning to show in the last few games what kind of down low force he can be. He is also just beginning to show that he can catch and distribute, aka as against Baylor, as a true pivot player.

He might well have been a STAR player, in every respect on offense.

The strongest, by far, 7 footer in the college game, with inside moves, especially a nice hook delivered with balance and timing that would be alone unstoppable. You make your style fit his. Would the other four run? to their hearts' delight, but only try to finish if it was there. Otherwise, they would wait for Mr. Zoubek to come down and do his thing. That to me would have been the most likely scenario if Zoubek had another year.
    I agree. Isn't it nice to have a 7 footer who makes such good decisions with the ball? Defending a passer in the post is difficult for any team.

One last thing, well, my MaMa always says don't make promises . . ., so forget the intro, I think that Z's post-Maryland emergence has done volumes for Miles and Mason.

I believe that Duke's current style was not particularly to their liking; heck, no one seemed to see the value of it as it was emerging, even those of us who were Z fans early and often and throughout. Z not only proved that there was enormous dignity to be had in playing what otherwise might have been considered a subordinate role, but also literally reached back to pull the Plumlees along, making them, in particular Miles se, that he, Brian, the ZOUBERMAN, NEEDED his teammates to follow suit and have his back. They have and their individual talents in other areas are emerging as well.

Some things are priceless. What a legacy.