Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WLAX to Final Four

Duke will play Virginia in the national semifinals on Friday night at Franklin Field in Philly.

The other semi pits two-time defending champion Northwestern against the host school, Penn.

The championship game is Sunday afternoon, May 27.

TV Coverage of Women's Lacrosse Semis

Anyone know if there will be ANY TV coverage of the semifinal games friday night?
    Last edited by chrishoke; 05-24-2007 at 08:36 AM.

I could not find any in South Florida Comcast listings.

How about streaming video coverage?

Final Four Under Way

Northwestern blasted Penn, 12-2 in the first semifinal game.

Duke and UVa should be starting right about now (8:15 p.m. Eastern time).

Brings back memories

of when President Keohane was borrowing private jets to attend Men's and Women's Final Fours.

Best of luck to the Women's Lax team, hopefully they can build on what the Women golfers did today!

Solid start... Duke up 8-3 at the end of the first (though UVA outshot Duke 16-14).

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    Solid start... Duke up 8-3 at the end of the first (though UVA outshot Duke 16-14).
    It's the Kim Imbesi show so far. The Duke goalie has 10 saves.

UVa scored the first goal of the second half to pull within 4 (Duke had been up by as many as 6) and I was hoping that the ladies hadn't lost all momentum. I left the computer to do some dishes and throw out the junk mail. When I came back the Devils had reeled for 5 consecutive goals. It's now 13-4 with 19 minutes remaining.

Oh. My. Gawd.

Duke had a 13-4 lead with 20 minutes to go.

Virginia scored ten unanswered goals, the last coming with nine seconds to go, to win 14-13.

It's good that this game wasn't on TV. If it had been, I'd be heading out to buy a new TV.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Duke had a 13-4 lead with 20 minutes to go.

Virginia scored ten unanswered goals, the last coming with nine seconds to go, to win 14-13.

It's good that this game wasn't on TV. If it had been, I'd be heading out to buy a new TV.

I followed the game on Scoretracker, and if that account was accurate, Duke held a 13-4 lead with about 17 minutes left in the game, then proceeded to yield 7 goals in about 5 minutes--an utterly monumental collapse. Reading the play-by-play, it appeared that the Duke women simply quit playing, because all the shots were being taken by Virginia. Congrats to Virginia on an amazing comeback, but what on earth went wrong with the Duke team during the last 17 minutes when they gave up 10 unanswered goals?

Congrats to Virginia on an amazing comeback, but what on earth went wrong with the Duke team during the last 17 minutes when they gave up 10 unanswered goals?
    Coach K put the team in a stall.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    You just knew that was coming, didn't you?

I'm still waiting for K to say (a la Dean's famous comment re the Carolina women's soccer program) that Duke is a women's golf school, and everyone else is just trying to keep up.

Is it just me...

Hi,

Granted, I don't follow other schools (except Stanford) as closely as I do Duke. It seems like Duke has a lot more of these monumental breakdowns than other schools. However, maybe other schools do too and I just don't realize it because I am not keeping tabs.

GO WOMEN'S LAX, Go get 'em next year!

GO DUKE!

Maybe it's time for KK to join GG....you know, get a "fresh start" at another school. She simply chokes in big games, much like GG. Third straight FF, and come home with NOTHING. I know it took PHS 7 FF before she won her first NC, but somebody please clue KK in!

Remember my post about the school's "sports psychologist"???

Very unhappy, semi-confused, but not shocked, and still wondering how the h*ll you can blow a 13-4 second half lead in the FINAL FOUR....

Thumbs down Prevent Defense/Stall Ball: 1E

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    You just knew that was coming, didn't you?
    And by gawd it is probably right and well deserved.

I don't care the sport and I'll say it again: I hate hate hate HATE the prevent defense/stall ball. All it does is cause the team that runs it to lose. It changes your rythm, the other team catches its breath, momentum changes and then all the "bounces" go their way. I say bury them while you have them down. Don't give them a chance. But noooooo...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    And by gawd it is probably right and well deserved.

I don't care the sport and I'll say it again: I hate hate hate HATE the prevent defense/stall ball. All it does is cause the team that runs it to lose. It changes your rythm, the other team catches its breath, momentum changes and then all the "bounces" go their way. I say bury them while you have them down. Don't give them a chance. But noooooo...
    I hope you're kidding, or at least that you have some information that leads you to believe that the women did actually use a "prevent" defense in the game. If so could you please present it. If you're relying on Throaty's post as a basis, I think he was kidding.

Don't forget, lacrosse can be essentially playing "make it - take it" by winning the face offs after each score.

If they used a prevent/stall tactic yesterday it was the least effective in the history of sport.

Ypu've got to give Virginia credit for not folding up their tents and going home. But still, that's a collapse of epic proportions.

what a choke job...seriously, the previous largest comeback ever was 5 goals...