Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Kelly

Ryan reminds me somewhat of John Henson

I think that Ryan and Hairston will earn all playing time that they get. (I can't wait to see how much Ryan and Mason bulk up this summer.) Either way I don't see either of them starting ahead of either Plumlee.

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome2DaSlopes View Post
    Ryan reminds me somewhat of John Henson
    I was thinking the same thing. Henson has a better handle and Kelly is a better shooter, but in a lot of ways they're similar. And remember Henson looked totally lost on the court until he started getting serious minutes after Davis got hurt. Who knows what Kelly could deliver next year? He might take a major step forward and surprise us all.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Personally, I just don't see Kelly being the odd man out. I don't see Hairston coming in and playing ahead of Kelly at the 4. Felix is more of a 3, and I also don't see him playing major minutes next year (unless Singler leaves). Both will have the disadvantage of not having a year's worth of experience in the Duke system. And don't discount the fact that Kelly is a really good prospect. He was a more highly-valued prospect than either Hairston or Felix coming in.

I think Kelly will get his minutes at the 4, largely regardless of Singler's return. I think the guys that will be most affected by Singler's decision next year will be Hairston and Felix, because both appear more suited to the 3 (Hairston is more of a 3/4) than Kelly. And both are less experienced in the Duke system. I think the tendency people have is to expect too much from the recruits (especially the frontcourt recruits) and undervalue the guys with experience.
    I agree with this, dissenting from CDu only a little on impact of possible KS return. The only scenario in which RK's minutes will be somewhat limited is if KS returns. Call it 50/50 right now. Because Duke will have so much perimeter talent next season, if KS returns, he might spend some time - a little, when Duke "goes small" - as a big. But even if KS returns, RK will play 10-15 mpg.

In KS's absence, almost certainly RK becomes the 3d big, first off bench, 18-20 mpg. He's ahead of incoming JH because he now knows the system, and he has better court sense than JH right now. RK was just too far down in the bigs' depth-chart this season, but next year is a different story, with much less depth among bigs. RK will presumably gain some muscle, but he is no weakling right now. He's smart, with good shot, potentially superb high post passer, surprisingly good rebounder, occasional shot blocker. RK can play, will do so next season, and lots more in '11-'12 and '12-'13. Needs to work on handle [as do the MPs].

I guarantee that the staff going into the season was using this year as a prep year for Ryan. I think they probably knew that coming in, he just wouldn't be ready physically for ACC play, but in the long run, he could work himself into a very very good player. I still look at Ryan and think he has worlds of potential, I just don't know when or if we'll see all of it come out. Come to think of it, I wonder if they thought about redshirting him at all with all of the size we have on this year's team. Just a thought is all.

I don't like how already some people are saying Ryan will be the odd man out next season. You don't know how the off-season will pan out. Coming into this season, people were asking for Miles and Mason to start and carry a lot of the frontcourt minutes (including myself) and look what has happened? Zoubek and Thomas have played themselves into one of the best frontcourt tandems in the tournament. You can't make assumptions like that already. I believe Josh will be a great player, but I will not for a second buy that he has already earned his 10-20 minutes a night based on potential.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    You gotta like what he says:

"At this point I do whatever Coach [Mike Krzyzewski] asks of me, like I've done all season," Kelly said. "Everybody wants to be the guy that hits the game-winning shot in the national championship game. But that's not my role right now, and I accept that completely. That's what pushes me to get better every day in practice, to work hard, to push my teammates in any way I can and just be ready to get on the floor whenever that opportunity comes.

"When the season is over we can talk about stuff like that. But right now I'm enjoying the ride. Not many people get the opportunity to be in the Final Four and that's certainly going to be a goal for years to come. But as we've seen, even at Duke, guys that are seniors now had never gotten to this point. So you never know what's going to happen. You've got to take advantage of the opportunity."

"All I know is that I've become a much better player," he said. "I don't think back to specific moments in games. I know I've become a lot better player than I was a year ago. I know I have a bright future ahead of myself and I'm going to become an even better player. Right now I'm enjoying the moment being here in the Final Four and ready to do anything the coach asks."

Read more: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow...#ixzz0k3TmlN3k
    Absolutely love his attitude! A ton of self confidence in believing his time will come. Could ask for nothing more from a freshman who has helped this team prepare for competition all season.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRob8801 View Post
    I just hope his lack of playing time doesn't lead him down the same road of Czyz, King, Boykin, Boetang, etc...
    my thoughts exactly. actually may depend on if singler declares or not. if he leaves for the nba, kelly should get much more PT. if he stays, wouldn't be shocked to see kelly transfer.

To be quite honest I really think Ryan Kelly's skill set is pretty similar to Kyle Singler's. Kelly is an extremely good ball-handler and passer for a 6'10" player and I'm sure everyone can see that he is a good shooter as well. To me, I think Duke would get the most out of Kelly if they play him at the 3 as well as the 4. But I believe he is skilled enough to be a very good small forward.

Right now the kid is the best passer that this team has had in years. He is particularly adept at getting it inside in a manner--with touch and timing--that permits, actually leads, a Big to a good scoring opportunity.

I believe that the kid will play on the exterior with both Plumlees or Kyle and one or the other of them. When on the floor, all three will be better. On rhe defensive end, he will muck up offenses for the same reason that he will advance Duke's offense--he sees several steps ahead with remarkable proficiency.

The kid clearly from what he says enjoys playing and what could be better for a guy with his talents and current physical shortcomings then to play in practice with a terrific array of players and K. I think that the kid is completely content to let the game come to him. If K sees fit to deploy him in front of the fans, fine; if not, that will be fine too. When you see the way he sees and can act upon it with his array of skills, it's all good.

In short, Ryan Kelly is an extraordinary talent who is a kid in a candy store whichever way things play out. That type of guy is a tremendous asset to have on a team; they cohese all that they touch.

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    my thoughts exactly. actually may depend on if singler declares or not. if he leaves for the nba, kelly should get much more PT. if he stays, wouldn't be shocked to see kelly transfer.
    That's a careless reference and really doesn't belong here unless you have something to back it up.

Among other things, Ryan Kelly is an outstanding student who was on the honor roll for his first semester at Duke. His parents live in Raleigh and his father played basketball at Yale. Ryan is the type of student and young person who might well have chosen Duke even if he were not a basketball player.

Even though this season is not over (two more games!), I am optimistic about our chance for next year. We are losing a lot, but we are gaining a lot next year, too. While I am optimistic most years, I am extra-special optimistic about next year -- particularly if 2/3 of our S-boys stay!

Labeling Ryan "the odd man out" this early in the game is a difficult thing to do. Like others have alluded, he'll maintain an advantage, having played for a year in the system, over the likes of Felix and Hairston, even though all three actually play slightly different positions.

That being said, Kelly's biggest obstacle will be the number of talented guards on the '10-'11 Devils. Many have commented on how Duke could very likely play a 3 guard rotation next year and really turn up the tempo. If that's the case, he may lose the minutes he would gain from the departure of Zoubek and Thomas to Curry and Irving.

If he can add some weight in the off season, he could spell the PlumTrees at the 4, but I'm not sold on the fact that he will be able to gain a tremendous amount of weight. He looks to have a skinny neck and wrists which generally doesn't bode well for putting on lbs.

I tend the think his minutes will go up, but not dramatically so. He'll get more minutes because we'll be relatively thin in the post and he's more experienced than Hairston. To me, he seems to be the kind of player who will be around for 4 years, eventually becoming a very solid role player by the time he's a senior. I have a hard time believing he'll transfer, especially after reading the quotes listed below.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    That's a careless reference and really doesn't belong here unless you have something to back it up.

Among other things, Ryan Kelly is an outstanding student who was on the honor roll for his first semester at Duke. His parents live in Raleigh and his father played basketball at Yale. Ryan is the type of student and young person who might well have chosen Duke even if he were not a basketball player.
    Isn't Ryan's girlfriend in Raleigh? Might be another reason to stay where he is.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that Ryan is unhappy at Duke. He enjoys good chemistry with the rest of the team, a very valuable quality.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

just my opinion. most kids want to play, bottom line. but if he's going to duke for the education as much as for the basketball, that's great. more power to him.

Quote Originally Posted by ajgoodfella7 View Post
    To be quite honest I really think Ryan Kelly's skill set is pretty similar to Kyle Singler's. Kelly is an extremely good ball-handler and passer for a 6'10" player and I'm sure everyone can see that he is a good shooter as well. To me, I think Duke would get the most out of Kelly if they play him at the 3 as well as the 4. But I believe he is skilled enough to be a very good small forward.
    CDU already made most of the points I was going to make on this thread and I also agree with this.

I know people tend to put halos on everybody new but Ryan Kelly has the benefit of a year in the Duke system both athletically and academically, and since he's a local RDU kid, no need to worry about him getting homesick.

Having a true PG like Irving will only make games of guys like Ryan, Andre, Seth, Kyle and Mason even better. The missing ingredient is who can play the defensive stopper role Lance vacates, besides Kyle, but 3 deep everywhere

Irving-Thornton (Curry)
    Smith - Curry (Dawkins)
    Singler 50% - Dawkins (Felix)
    Singler 50% - Kelly (Hairston) if both Plumlees do not start
    Plumlee 1- Plumlee 2 (Hariston or Kelly if fouls mount)

Coach K will have a lot of options including pairing his two seniors Nolan and Kyle with his new guys Thornton, Felix and Hairston in full court defensive pressing if he wants to shake things up a couple minutes.

just my opinion. most kids want to play, bottom line. but if he's going to duke for the education as much as for the basketball, that's great. more power to him.

I just think it's a bit presumptious to think that everyone who doesn't get playing time should transfer and even though you didn't say it, you are implying it based on this post. PT is important to kids, but so is an education and college experience. I would be very surprised if Kelly transferred to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    Labeling Ryan "the odd man out" this early in the game is a difficult thing to do.

To me, he seems to be the kind of player who will be around for 4 years, eventually becoming a very solid role player by the time he's a senior.
    These 2 statements strike me, to put it gingerly, as not entirely consistent. I'm definitely with you in seeing RK as not the "odd man out." That means, surely, he's "in," i.e., going to play some next season, and more than minimally.

Therefore, it stands to reason that he will be a solid role player next season. I doubt we'll have to wait until RK's senior year to see real value. MP2 is backup 5 to MP1, and RK is backup 4 to MP2.

Since when has transfer become a four letter word? The man voiced an OPINION and suddenly everyone wants to tar and feather him.

A quality education was on the line for both Taylor and Olek and both of them walked away.

Several posters have mentioned Ryan needed to bulk up, well what happens if he can't as someone has already mentioned? If his lack of bulk is the primary reason his playing time has been limited, do you think he really wants to sit on the bench for four years if he can't get bigger/stronger?

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I agree with Roy and CDu and those that think Ryan Kelly would transfer are way off base. He is not the type of kid to pout and run to another school if he is not getting a lot of minutes. The kid can play the game and only needs strength and adjustment to the speed of the college game.

He will absolutely earn minutes next year as the 3rd Big. I think we will see a very similar approach with bigs next year as we have this year. Kelly and Hairston will back up Mason and Miles and all 4 will get time at the 2 big spots.

As CDu alluded to, Ryan was ranked higher coming in than Hairston, and for that matter was ranked higher than Mason. He started over Mason on the Jr USA team they both played on. The guy can play. We have not even begun to see what he can bring once he gets it figured out and get's a college body. One of the big positives for him is how hard he works. Once he realized in High School that he could be better than a mid-major type player, he worked his tail off, getting to the gym everyday at 6 AM and working out hard before school. His work ethic is great and it will pay dividends before all is said and done.

No doubt in my mind Ryan will have a really good career at Duke and will be a solid 4 year player.

I highly doubt that RK would transfer. This strikes me as an issue that he and coach K would have already ironed out. His minutes will come next year. I am curious however, when a player does transfer, how soon can that void be filled?