Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Evan Turner. Deserves just about every award this year and I would rather have in my team 10X more than Vesquez. Additionally, he shows a little more on court class than Vasquez.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Yeah, no need to apologize. For what it's worth, I shared many of your views on Vasquez for the first three years of his career. He was an extremely inefficient player, who dominated the ball too much and took too many bad shots. To his credit, I thought he improved greatly in that regard in his senior year, especially in ACC play.

Whether he still dominated the ball too much is an open question. Many of the guys on the team were not creators - I'd say other than Mosley (and occasionally posts by Williams), they didn't have another guy who could successfully get his own shot on a consistent basis. You mentioned Hayes in your earlier post - he's a great example. I think part of the reason he scored so efficiently is because Vasquez created a lot of wide open looks for him. Whether the team would have been better or worse had Vasquez deferred to his teammates is unclear - yes, he probably passed up better opportunities that a teammate had to take a more difficult shot himself on more than one occasion. But his ability to create and to score on even difficult shots made guys pay more attention to him, and opened up looks for his teammates even more - if he started to constantly defer, defenses would adjust and those looks would disappear.
    Thanks, but I did, apologze that is. This board is better than that.

Real cogent post.

I would add that I thought that Maryland had some real terrific athletes who, if they couldn't create as such, could and did creat terrific receptions within their range and would get to the rim, or at least inside the defender, if their shots were challenged.

When he was seeing people and letting them have it as they were breaking free, as well as scoring the ball himself, is when Vasquez was truly impressive. Perhaps when you have a player like that, you have to expect him to go off sometimes.

Hey, maybe I wanted this for Jon a little too much. There are worse faults I suppose.

As one who follows Ohio State, I have no issue with Evan Turner not getting the Cousy award (but that is not to say that I think Vasquez should have got it). Turner played PG out of necessity because there was simply no one else to run the point (for various and sundry reasons starting with the loss of Mike Conley, Jr to the NBA after the 2007 season).

At PG, Turner committed too many turnovers. Yes, he played non-stop and handled the ball a lot, but there were games when he had double digit turnovers. Regardless, that is unacceptable at the #1 spot. For that reason alone, I have no real issue with him not getting the Cousy award. Scheyer was much more deserving, IMHO.

Now, if Turner does not get virtually every national player of the year award as the best player, I will have major problems with that. Hands down he was the most versatile and best player in college this year. Turner will be a solid pro at the #2 spot in the NBA.