Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NPOY Awards Thread

"The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced today that Greivis Vasquez from the University of Maryland is the winner of the 2010 Bob Cousy Award presented by The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. This annual award is given to college basketball’s top point guard and is named after Hall of Famer and former Boston Celtics guard Bob Cousy. An original list of 73 candidates made up of players from Division I, II and III schools was trimmed by a Hall of Fame appointed, nationally based committee to 20, down to 11, and a final six before voting on the winner of one of college basketball’s most prestigious awards."

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    "The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced today that Greivis Vasquez from the University of Maryland is the winner of the 2010 Bob Cousy Award presented by The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. This annual award is given to college basketball’s top point guard and is named after Hall of Famer and former Boston Celtics guard Bob Cousy. An original list of 73 candidates made up of players from Division I, II and III schools was trimmed by a Hall of Fame appointed, nationally based committee to 20, down to 11, and a final six before voting on the winner of one of college basketball’s most prestigious awards."
    As one of the top four or five players to handle the point this year in college basketball, he's certainly deserving.

I guess.

Phooey

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    As one of the top four or five players to handle the point this year in college basketball, he's certainly deserving.

I guess.

He didn't deserve ACC POY and he didn't deserve this. Scheyer did. Hands down!
    DukeDevilDeb

Yeah, phooey from this quarter, too.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Congrats to Vasquez, no argument from me. The twerps would have been a disaster without him. If Duke lost Jon, we wouldn't have made it as deep as we have, but we would still have a tourney run to talk about. That's not a knock on Jon..it's just a fact he has the better supporting cast.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Congrats to Vasquez, no argument from me. The twerps would have been a disaster without him. If Duke lost Jon, we wouldn't have made it as deep as we have, but we would still have a tourney run to talk about. That's not a knock on Jon..it's just a fact he has the better supporting cast.
    Scheyer? Evan Turner, John Wall and Sherron Collins were all more deserving than Vasquez.

It's disappointing that Jon didn't get this one, but he may go home with something all the aforementioned wish they had: NC ring.

Very surprised Wall or Turner didnt get it.

Wall had a lot of turnovers and a stacked team, but Turner... he was a one man show (similar to Vasquez), and BETTER... also a deeper tourney run.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    It's disappointing that Jon didn't get this one, but he may go home with something all the aforementioned wish they had: NC ring.
    This would be the best reward of all.

Cool No Prob Here

Good for Greivis. Congratulations!

sagegrouse

grats to Vasquez. I'd take Jon over him any day tho

Give him his due and let Jon go out there and earn a NC.

Hard to Argue Too Much

So, hard to accept that my first post is in support of a Terrapin, but the guy deserves the kudos. I am not a huge fan of all the screaming and chest beating, but I have come to respect him as a terrific basketball player who just had a penchant for hitting big shots.

All the others, including Scheyer, would have been deserving winners as well, but give it to the Terp, he's pretty darn clutch.

Scheyer will make a much better Final Four MVP . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ReformedAggie View Post
    grats to Vasquez. I'd take Jon over him any day tho
    So would Gary, if he was in a truthful mood. Vasquez played Gary out of almost as many close games as he won, including the Michigan St. game in the dance.

That said, terrific career by Vasquez, terrific season, and I'm not hatin on his selection. Congrats and thanks for the performances.

Jon, now go lead em to the big one. G-d's speed.

congrats to greivis....i hate it....but i like him...

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    Very surprised Wall or Turner didnt get it.

Wall had a lot of turnovers and a stacked team, but Turner... he was a one man show (similar to Vasquez), and BETTER... also a deeper tourney run.
    Agreed, how did Turner not win this? He's become the consensus favorite for national POY, and he's a point guard... but somehow he's not the best point guard in the country? Makes no sense to me.

Nothing against Greivis... just think Turner was more deserving.

Guess whom Doug Gottlieb chose before the Dance began? The nonathletic one. That's right, Jon Scheyer. Must be biased.

Vasquez Wins Cousy Award and Hayes Wins Three-point Contest

I didn’t see any mention on the DBR front page or in the links they provided, but the Basketball Hall of Fame named Vasquez the winner of the Bob Cousy Award as the nation’s best point guard. Vasquez played under more control during his senior year and, IMO, is deserving of the awards he has received this year. His best skill was his passing and, like Cousy, he made his teammates better.

As one of the few on this board who saw Cousy play, I recall not only his behind-the-back passes to Sharman and others but the rainbow 30-foot one handers he would shoot coming into the frontcourt when the defender played back as well as the running hook shots with either hand. It was a very different era.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskb...040110aaa.html

I also note that Hayes of Maryland won the 3-point contest at the site of the Final Four. Hayes had a very solid senior year and was one of the most efficient offensive players in the ACC this past year.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskb...040110aab.html

gw67

NPOY Awards Thread

Evan Turner is the runaway winner of the AP NPOY award. He is in my opinion very deserving of the award.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5049701

They got that award right... if John Wall had gotten it I would have been a little upset.