Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duke blue

Duke blue

Thanks for sharing. As the original poster from the Class of '88, I thought this article was particularly interesting.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    We've seen this debate tons here, as the article noted, but this is the first time I've ever seen this.
    The Carolina side wore light-blue uniforms for the first time in history, and Trinity players wore an approximation of Yale blue—a grayish dark blue—chosen by the student body to honor their coach and president. According to The Trinity Archive, a cheer arose among the Trinity faithful at the game's close (Trinity won, 16-0), in answer to the Carolina cheer, which "literally woke Raleigh up" in the morning before the game. Carolina fans chanted:
    Rah! Rah! Rah!
    For the white and blue!
    Hoop la! Hoop la!
    N.C.U.
    The Trinity fans, in a move that presaged the cheeky chants of Cameron, answered:
    Rah! Rah! Rah!
    For the deep dark blue!
    Hoop la! Hoop la!
    We beat [you].
    That is absolutely priceless.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

What is Duke blue?

oft discussed here. the Duke Alumni mag march-april issue has this as the cover story. posts from DBR are included in the article.

the "official" Duke blue is prussian blue PMS 287 which is decently dark, but the Nike influence has bball uni's closer to royal.

campus signage is PMS 2767C which is designated as Duke University Dark Blue and is nicely dark and closer to MY understanding of Duke blue.

Go Duke!

PMS287 doesn't work well with black. With a quick glance it looks like black. What little vividness 287 has is lost when translated to four color process printing.

Duke Sports tends to go with PMS286 when printing in two colors (usually in combination with black).

I'm not up on the history of the blue in the basketball uniforms. PMS286 is closer to today's uniforms than PMS287.

Happy 51st birthday, Duke Blue.

“On Sept. 23, 1965, the Executive Committee of Duke's Board of Trustees adopted "Prussian Blue" as Duke's official color. There is no other known, official action on the matter of school colors.”

https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/...cles/duke-blue

I believe this is the "correct" Duke blue.

https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/287-C

I like this color....darker than the royal blue that we now see on some Duke uniforms but a shade or two lighter than a midnight or navy blue (the "Yale" color and my high school's color).

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I believe this is the "correct" Duke blue.

https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/287-C

I like this color...darker than the royal blue that we now see on some Duke uniforms but a shade or two lighter than a midnight or navy blue (the "Yale" color and my high school's color).
    I like it too. Suggests that the blue helmets now used are more correct than the shade used on our FB jerseys and pants. And I have thought the blue in our hoops uniforms to have been too light for at least the last decade or so.

What was the name of the paint GM used on the "Blue Devil" 'vette?

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I like it too. Suggests that the blue helmets now used are more correct than the shade used on our FB jerseys and pants. And I have thought the blue in our hoops uniforms to have been too light for at least the last decade or so.
    Totally agree !

The article says white is not a school color and there is no official document noting that. I've heard this argument before, but someone should tell all of the writers of Duke's media guides, which list Duke's colors as Duke Blue and white.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

I'm getting page not found on the OP link.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    I'm getting page not found on the OP link.
    It's from a thread posted 6 years ago, not surprising. (Also a thread posted mere days before banner # 4!)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Just so this lives in another place forever on the Web.

Duke Blue:

Technical Details

Duke Blue is registered as number 287 in the Pantone® Color Matching System.

Colors in the range of Pantone® numbers 283 to 289 are used for Duke Blue. The reason for the range of numbers relates to differences in printed materials, computer applications and textiles.

The Pantone® Process Color Imaging Guide formula for Duke Blue is 100% Cyan + 69% Magenta + 0% Yellow + 11.5% Black.

In a web color palette, Duke Blue is hexadecimal code 001A57; RGB 0,0,156; Hue=160, Saturation=240, Brightness=73.

Duke Blue

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Just so this lives in another place forever on the Web.

Duke Blue:

Technical Details

Duke Blue is registered as number 287 in the Pantone® Color Matching System.

Colors in the range of Pantone® numbers 283 to 289 are used for Duke Blue. The reason for the range of numbers relates to differences in printed materials, computer applications and textiles.

The Pantone® Process Color Imaging Guide formula for Duke Blue is 100% Cyan + 69% Magenta + 0% Yellow + 11.5% Black.

In a web color palette, Duke Blue is hexadecimal code 001A57; RGB 0,0,156; Hue=160, Saturation=240, Brightness=73.

You may thank President Doug Knight for the official designation of a Duke Blue. He appointed the committee that selected it which was
    first used on the Duke Ph. D. robes at graduation. That is the official hue for textiles.

Quote Originally Posted by wncgrad View Post
    You may thank President Doug Knight for the official designation of a Duke Blue. He appointed the committee that selected it which was
    first used on the Duke Ph. D. robes at graduation. That is the official hue for textiles.
    While Knight was the pres when the committee made its recommendation, it was Dr Hart who started the committee to search for a new doctoral robe color. My understanding is he was looking for a "bright navy".

This backdoor link is working, but ugly:

http://dukemagazine.duke.edu/issues/030410/blue1.html

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    While Knight was the pres when the committee made its recommendation, it was Dr Hart who started the committee to search for a new doctoral robe color. My understanding is he was looking for a "bright navy".

-jk

OK, -jk, who gets the credit or blame for changing Myrtle Drive to Campus Drive? Dr. Hart or Mr. Knight?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    One of the key quotes from the article shown below. Timeframe was 2009:

These days, you're most likely to see Duke blue in four broad areas: athletic uniforms, licensed products and apparel, campus signage, and publications and promotional materials. In 2009, Duke's athletics department signed a contract with Nike Inc., giving the apparel giant exclusive rights to supply all twenty-six varsity teams with uniforms, shoes, and other equipment. Before each season, a Nike representative contacts a team's coach to present various options for the look of that season's gear. Nike's designers determine the colors of the uniforms, although coaches sign off on them.
    Before the Nike contract was signed, each coach ordered from his or her own manufacturer, and some of those agreements will remain in place for the next two years. As a result, the blue of the uniforms worn by this year's field hockey team, for example, supplied by Under Armour Inc., is quite different from the blue of this year's basketball jersey, supplied by Nike. One benefit of the new contract is that all athletic uniforms will be a standard Duke blue—albeit one closer to royal than PMS 287.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    One of the key quotes from the article shown below. Timeframe was 2009:
    Another key quote from the article. Thanks much to -jk. This article cleared up a lot of questions I had on why the colors have changed over the years.

Craig notes a marked shift in popularity between the darker Duke blue, which is closer to navy, and the lighter Duke blue, which is closer to royal. Through the 1980s and into the mid-1990s, Duke Stores was selling much more of the dark blue than the light. Then the men's basketball team signed with Nike for the 1994 season. Nike introduced the royal-blue shade to the uniforms, and Duke consumers soon made the switch. Royal has been the stores' best-selling blue ever since.

Here is a cleaner link to the Duke Magazine article: http://dukemagazine.duke.edu/article/true-blue

My favorite quote is this one, considering I was that '88 alum:

But one of the DBR's message boards was alive with debate over a topic that had nothing to do with the game—one that, over the years, has aroused curiosity and, at times, triggered heated debate among Duke students, alumni, visitors, and fans: What color, exactly, is Duke blue? An alumnus from the Class of '88 wondered: "Was the school's color always royal blue?" He recalled that the uniforms were darker in the past. "Was this a gradual shift? Was there a particular year when the color became lighter or was that a gradual migration?"

Here is the original thread from February 2009 -- http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...lor+royal+blue
    Last edited by Rich; 09-27-2016 at 10:50 PM. Reason: too many revisions to count
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016