Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

WBB Region Final: Baylor 51, Duke 48

Ok, I have to ask...

am I the only one who thinks Griner sounds like a man???
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell

WBB - Duke vs. Baylor 7PM EDT

Wanted to get a thread started on THIS Duke-Baylor match-up.

Can our ladies find a way to take it to Brittany Griner and win? Can our defense stay strong?

I know we've been winning ugly, and many worry about our offense, but lately other than against Sylvia's "evil polyester football players" (tm) I think we've won in the second half by wearing down the other team. Being in much better shape than the other team allows up to make plays late. SDSU and LSU were clearly running on empty late in the game, and Saturday it wasn't suddenly because SDSU got jet lag like the announcers thought.

Let's make it two for two for Four!

Edit: pfrduke and I obviously think alike. Please go ahead and merge in with the other thread.

Let's beat baylor twice in two days. GO DUKE

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome2DaSlopes View Post
    Let's beat baylor twice in two days. GO DUKE
    I wonder if Baylor would then develop a deep hatred of Duke that would not be forgotten for centuries to come.

Quote Originally Posted by ivydevil View Post
    I wonder if Baylor would then develop a deep hatred of Duke that would not be forgotten for centuries to come.
    Well, Florida beat Ohio St. in the Ncaab championship and the Ncaaf championship in the same year. That must have been really hard for them.

Women with 11 offensive boards so far. A tale of two Duke teams

Would u look at that? offensive rebounding keeping Duke in it. Theme of the year.

Women's basketball is totally unwatchable for me most of the time, but watching Griner dominate people makes it interesting.

Pretty nasty of Krystal Thomas.... fouling Griner's elbow with her face.

Kim Mulkey remnds me of a young Sylvia Hatchell, including the sanppy wardrobe.

Griner has way too much testosterone. Someone should run gender tests.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeblue225 View Post
    I am thankful that the vast majority of posters on this site do not make such tasteless and derogatory comments such as this.

Quote Originally Posted by wacobluedevil View Post
    I am thankful that the vast majority of posters on this site do not make such tasteless and derogatory comments such as this.
    While the comment may be tasteless, I know many people who have talked to me about WBB have brought up that same comment. I had never heard her speak in an interview but after at least 10 people mentioning the same idea to me, I had to look up an interview with her. She does have a very deep voice. But then again, I'd never try out for American Idol, either

So, the thought is out there. And after listening to her speak, I'm sure the same thought came to many people. Doesn't mean those people are bad people for thinking that...it's just an instant reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    While the comment may be tasteless, I know many people who have talked to me about WBB have brought up that same comment. I had never heard her speak in an interview but after at least 10 people mentioning the same idea to me, I had to look up an interview with her. She does have a very deep voice. But then again, I'd never try out for American Idol, either

So, the thought is out there. And after listening to her speak, I'm sure the same thought came to many people. Doesn't mean those people are bad people for thinking that...it's just an instant reaction.
    But why bring it up in a public forum at all? It serves no purpose whatsoever except to mock Griner and prompt mean-spirited comments. The DBR and its participants are always bragging about the level of discourse on the boards (and rightly so). This is one subject that fails to meet that standard...by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by JG Nothing View Post
    But why bring it up in a public forum at all? It serves no purpose whatsoever except to mock Griner and prompt mean-spirited comments. The DBR and its participants are always bragging about the level of discourse on the boards (and rightly so). This is one subject that fails to meet that standard...by a long shot.
    I agree with you whole-heartedly.
    I didn't bring up the subject. I think it is a shame how women who have muscles or a deep voice have comments made about them.

I played women's basketball...I have a "not so pretty voice"...can you imagine what everyone labeled me in high school? And tomboy is the nice version.

A public forum should discuss these things in an educational way (although it needs educated people to do so). I don't think we ignore it...I think we talk about these stereotypes and why they hurt the game/individuals.

The problem is, from what I heard (please don't take this as my opinion because it is not), that people will now think her dominance is because of "other factors" and that is simply absurd.

Just because it makes you uncomfortable doesn't mean it isn't a legitimate topic of conversation, especially in light of recent events.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80...be-intersexed/

Quote Originally Posted by YourLandlord View Post
    Just because it makes you uncomfortable doesn't mean it isn't a legitimate topic of conversation, especially in light of recent events.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80...be-intersexed/
    The subject does not make me uncomfortable at all as long as people talk about it intelligently. Simplistic and juvenile comments like Griner needs a "gender test" or she "looks and sounds like a man" ignore the complexity of sex and gender. Please tell me how most of the relevant comments in this thread have raised the level of conversation beyond inane gossip.

The subject does not make me uncomfortable at all as long as people talk about it intelligently. Simplistic and juvenile comments like Griner needs a "gender test" or she "looks and sounds like a man" ignore the complexity of sex and gender. Please tell me how most of the relevant comments in this thread have raised the level of conversation beyond inane gossip.
    How else do you raise the question or issue?

Sure there is biological complexity involved, but "looks and sounds [more] like a man [than is expected]" is absolutely true.

Additionally, given the SA runner situation, many people are curious if she should be "allowed" to play if things turn out "complex", using your terminology. The only way to determine this is through some type of gender "testing" (yes, not the best word).

Finally, yes, it was an opposing player in a tough tournament game. It's a fan message board. There is going to be some poking and prodding. Don't look for a biological discussion of sex and gender complexities here.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeblue225 View Post
    Seriously? it's understandable to be upset after a loss, but this is uncalled for.