Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lance Thomas appreciation

Probably no one on this team has gotten less exposure on this team lately than Lance Thomas. Well, tonight Lance was the difference. Here is a player- who has embraced a role of being a defensive stopper and an energy guy. He is the consummate glue guy- he got three tough boards for extra possessions and a follow jam that saved the game for Duke. Lance has been a warrior and is as tough as they come. He found his role on this team of stars- he has done everything asked of him- and I for one am extremely happy for this guy.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    As much as I love Lance, and as great as he was on defense, I have to disagree that he was "the difference" tonight. Again, while his defense was fantastic and much needed, his continued propensity to force up bad shots down low, especially against the best shot-blocker in the nation in Udoh, was very frustrating, and really was a problem for our offense. If he had kicked out a few of those offensive rebounds we could've gotten much better looks... obviously it didn't end up hurting us, but it was frustrating to say the least.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

THANK YOU LANCE and you were great tonight; I think your rebound dunk was one of the best plays of the game for Duke and it was a real momentum builder for the team. Your energy and commitment on that play helped make the difference for Duke tonight. Also, you had a couple rebounds and kick outs that helped the others hit threes!

Thank you so much for your efforts!

dukestheheat.

Finally found where the weather suits my clothes – and settled down in Brentwood, CA

I agree!

Lance doesn't get the recognition he deserves. That guy is a beast! I love his attitude. Coach K often talks about how much he loves this team because they play together so well and they care so much for each other (maybe it's the players that say that). From where I'm watching Lance's personality is is the primary reason for that. Just watch him (only him) sometime during a game. He's always enthusiastic, slapping teammates on the back, cheering them on, getting in their face when they need it. Most of the rest of their personalities seem relatively laid back to me, compared to Lance. (Not knocking being laid back -- you've got to have cool characters in the pressure situations they are all in.)

Lance is the MAN!

Grey Devil

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    As much as I love Lance, and as great as he was on defense, I have to disagree that he was "the difference" tonight. Again, while his defense was fantastic and much needed, his continued propensity to force up bad shots down low, especially against the best shot-blocker in the nation in Udoh, was very frustrating, and really was a problem for our offense. If he had kicked out a few of those offensive rebounds we could've gotten much better looks... obviously it didn't end up hurting us, but it was frustrating to say the least.
    Well he figured it out in the last 2 minutes- he kicked them all out.

Well, we were trailing by a point toward the end of the game and on three consecutive possessions he got a big offensive rebound. Twice he did, in fact, kick it out to teammates who hit three-pointers, and the third time he dunked the putback, got fouled and made the free throw. Those three o-board conversions brought us from down 1 to up 8, and we won by 7. I think that's what the original poster meant when he said Lance was the difference, your personal frustration notwithstanding.

Yeah, Lance needs that scolding after his great role in the Duke win today. Nothing like bringing a man's man back down to Earth after he worked hard enough to burst the heart of a buffalo.

Good work, scottdude!

i honestly was pissed with lance tonight until that put back dunk. I thought he played a horrible first half, he was soft with the ball, and other then the dunk in the first minute of the game looked bad. Then I looked at the box scores and saw that he had 8 offensive rebounds. I guess i was too much of a nervous wreck throughout the game to realize what a great contribution he was making on the glass. Nice second half LT!

his continued propensity to force up bad shots down low, especially against the best shot-blocker in the nation in Udoh, was very frustrating, and really was a problem for our offense. If he had kicked out a few of those offensive rebounds we could've gotten much better looks... obviously it didn't end up hurting us, but it was frustrating to say the least.
    did you miss the title of the thread? buzz-stripper !!!

Quote Originally Posted by strawbs View Post
    i honestly was pissed with lance tonight until that put back dunk. I thought he played a horrible first half, he was soft with the ball, and other then the dunk in the first minute of the game looked bad. Then I looked at the box scores and saw that he had 8 offensive rebounds. I guess i was too much of a nervous wreck throughout the game to realize what a great contribution he was making on the glass. Nice second half LT!
    For any other team, his energy on the glass and the automatic impulse to go back up with it is THE RIGHT PLAY. Baylor could just flat out block. His put back dunk-and-1 got me the loudest i was all night. I think for me that was when I knew it was ours.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Wasn't trying to "scold" Lance as one of you said... just wanted to put the whole game in perspective. I agree Lance was the man in the last five minutes, especially after Zoubs fouled out... but again, his poor choices on the offensive end (at least in the first half, I agree he was much better in the 2nd) were part of the reason we were down 3 at half.

But again, to clarify, I love Lance, I love his defense, I love his intensity... I just don't think it is fair to say he was "the difference" tonight given his immense struggles offensively in the 1st half.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

ESPN has Lance with 8 offensive rebounds!! Think about how many points came from those rebounds. Huge game for Lance tonight. Huge. Sure he made some mistakes, but so did everyone else...except for maybe Nolan.

Lance's play was stunning and came at the right time Duke needed it most. I was astonished as to how quickly and high he jumped through the crowd and even more awestruck by his ability to finish even while taking a solid hack to his right arm. For some reason I was reminded of Battier in 2001 against Arizona, emerging from the scrum with a twisting backhanded tip in. Maybe it was the timing late in a tight game or just that it was completely unexpected. Either way, Thomas (and Zoubek), despite a few struggles today, exemplified the heart that gets teams to the Final Four. Great job, Lance!

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Well here is the thing. Lance has been much maligned and criticized forever, yet the +/- numbers consistently show we are a much better team with him on the floor, but that is not my main point. The main point is this is an appreciation thread for Lance, so it is not a thread to point out shortcomings. Give the guy props for a change. He was absolutely a difference in this game and had he not made the 3 plays Kedsy pointed out, we likely do not win that game today.

Way to go Lance! Your plays today helped push the team over the hurdle! Your reward is a free trip for you and your teammates to the Final Four!!

Funny how much folks were trashing the guy the whole game on these boards, then he does what he has been doing all year like: rebounding, making key plays, defense, etc...and here comes all of this love. Folks, Lance is a role player not an offensive juggernat...His performance tonight is no different than any other night...You know what you are going to get out of him...heart, toughness, passion, and the will to win...If anyone on this board who trash talks Lance can show proof that they have done better or had the privilage to wear D U K E across thier chest by all means proove it...The kid deserves better treatment...

GO DUKE!

Thank you, LT...your 7 points and 9 rebounds (8 offensive!!!) were big for us, especially those last 3...resulting in 2 3's and a slamdunk by you! I have enjoyed listening to your NCAA tournament interviews because you are so hungry and driven. You won't accept anything less than a championship and it shows!

Me Too!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    For any other team, his energy on the glass and the automatic impulse to go back up with it is THE RIGHT PLAY. Baylor could just flat out block. His put back dunk-and-1 got me the loudest i was all night. I think for me that was when I knew it was ours.
    When Lance hit the dunk, then the and one... I knew we were going to do it. He is a terrific teammate and a super kid. I have had him in class twice (as a sophomore and a senior), and he has matured in ways I didn't know were possible. If I could, I would delete scottdude8's comment because it has no place on a thread in which we are praising one of our three great seniors.

Lance has been terrific all tournament. I've never seen a kid work harder or give more... He isn't a three point shooter or a dribble-driver... he just goes after the ball like his life depends on it. And those three offensive rebounds that he kicked out to the three-boys... well, those were absolutely huge in putting Baylor away!

WE'RE GOING TO INDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DukeDevilDeb

UGH! Negativity...grr...

Lance Thomas, in my eyes, is the reason we won that basketball game! Yes, Nolan and Jon made shots down the stretch, but how in God's name do you think we had those 2nd chance opportunities?

It was a total team effort tonight, as always, which is why I no longer can vote for MOTM - this team is functioning as one single unit, no one more important than the other (hey, we are going to Indy, and Hoosiers is the greatest movie ever made)

I still have no idea how Lance came up with those boards/loose balls, but this lady is VERY happy and APPRECIATIVE that he did.

Battier-tip-esque

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Battier-tip-esque
    PERFECT! Isn't it FABULOUS to have so many memories of players and games from our Duke past?! What a blessing to have such fun for so many years ...