G/F J.P. Prince, Tennessee
    G/F Evan Turner, Ohio State

Third Team
    G Denis Clemente, Kansas State
    G Ali Farokhmanesh, Northern Iowa
    G John Wall, Kentucky
    F Wesley Johnson, Syracuse
    C Omar Samhan, St. Mary's

Honorable mentions: Jon Scheyer, Duke; Louis Dale, Cornell; Brian Zoubek, Duke; Ekpe Udoh, Baylor; Demarcus Cousins, Kentucky; Shelvin Mack, Butler; Jordan Williams, Maryland; Draymond Green, Michigan State; Greivis Vasquez, Maryland; Wayne Chism, Tennessee; Jajuan Johnson, Purdue; Ryan Wittman, Cornell, Isaiah Thomas; Washington.

First Team
    G - Nolan Smith
    G - Jacob Pullen
    F - DeSean Butler
    F - Wes Johnson
    F - Patrick Patterson

Second Team
    G - Shelvin Mack
    G - Jordan Crawford
    G/F - Gordon Hayward
    G/F - Evan Turner
    F - Omar Samham

Third Team
    G - Jon Scheyer
    G - LaceDarius Dunn
    F - Demarcus Cousins
    G - John Wall
    G/F - J.P. Prince

An ideal All-Tournament Team would strike a nice balance and spread the wealth among many teams, including ones that don't make the Final Four. Unfortunately, they never actually look like that.

Sporcle has a quiz here asking for the five players named to every All-Tournament Team since 1970, providing the school for each. Try it out if you like, but notice that the last time 3 schools were represented was 1998, and the last time all 4 schools were represented was 1975.

Well, not sure how likely it is - a lot depends on how tonight goes of course - but how wonderful would it be for Zoubek to make the all tournament team?

What an improbable thing, even two months ago.

Smile

After tonight, Jon should be on the First Team.

Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post
    According to me (not that my opinion matters):

First Team
    G Nolan Smith, Duke
    G Durrell Summers, Michigan State
    G Lacedarius Dunn, Baylor
    F Da'Sean Butler, West Virginia
    F Gordon Hayward, Butler

Second Team
    G Jacob Pullen, Kansas State
    G Jordan Crawford, Xavier
    F Kyle Singler, Duke
    G/F J.P. Prince, Tennessee
    G/F Evan Turner, Ohio State

Third Team
    G Denis Clemente, Kansas State
    G Ali Farokhmanesh, Northern Iowa
    G John Wall, Kentucky
    F Wesley Johnson, Syracuse
    C Omar Samhan, St. Mary's

Honorable mentions: Jon Scheyer, Duke; Louis Dale, Cornell; Brian Zoubek, Duke; Ekpe Udoh, Baylor; Demarcus Cousins, Kentucky; Shelvin Mack, Butler; Jordan Williams, Maryland; Draymond Green, Michigan State; Greivis Vasquez, Maryland; Wayne Chism, Tennessee; Jajuan Johnson, Purdue; Ryan Wittman, Cornell, Isaiah Thomas; Washington.
    I believe that there isn't an All-Tournament team, but rather an All-Final Four team. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

As for your list, I wouldn't have put Butler on the first team. He was definitely WVU's best player this year, but he struggled in the NCAA tournament. He had the following shooting games: 4-11 (9pts), 6-14 (28), 5-16 (14), 4-15 (18), 2-8 (10). I have to believe that at least 5 players had better tournaments than him.

all-final four

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I believe that there isn't an All-Tournament team, but rather an All-Final Four team. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

As for your list, I wouldn't have put Butler on the first team. He was definitely WVU's best player this year, but he struggled in the NCAA tournament. He had the following shooting games: 4-11 (9pts), 6-14 (28), 5-16 (14), 4-15 (18), 2-8 (10). I have to believe that at least 5 players had better tournaments than him.
    You are exactly right -- there is no such thing as "all-tourney" or all-NCAA Tourney.

There are no all-star picks in the first/second round. There is an all-regional team at each regional site and it's possible to pick a player off a team eliminated earlier than the Sweet 16, but that almost never happens.

The All-South Regional team this year was:

Nolan (Most Outstanding Player)
    Scheyer
    Dunn of Baylor
    Carter of Baylor
    Udoh of Baylor

Pretty sure that Hayward of Butler was MOS of his region.

As for the Final Four team, that almost always depends heavily on the title game -- although a few guys were MOP of the FF without playing in the title game back in the day when there was a third-place game. Duke's Art Heyman was the Most Outstanding Player of the 1963 Final Four, even though Duke lost to Loyola in the semis.

Going into tonight's game, I'd suggest that all of Duke's Big 3, plus Zoubs are well positioned to make the team, along with Butler's Hayward. Not sure any other Butler player is in the running (maybe Mack, who had a good first half against MSU), but if somebody like Howard has a big game in the finals, he could make it. But not impossible that if Duke wins fairly easy, we could see four Duke players and Haywood on the team.

BTW, there is only one five-man team ... no second team.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Going into tonight's game, I'd suggest that all of Duke's Big 3, plus Zoubs are well positioned to make the team, along with Butler's Hayward. Not sure any other Butler player is in the running (maybe Mack, who had a good first half against MSU), but if somebody like Howard has a big game in the finals, he could make it. But not impossible that if Duke wins fairly easy, we could see four Duke players and Haywood on the team.
    Given that MSU and WVU didn't really have a standout performance, I think the All-Final Four team will be only Duke and Butler players. Right now, I'd say that our Big Three and Hayward are locks. The fifth spot will be either Zoubek or Mack (unless some "X factor" player has a monster championship game), depending upon who wins. If Duke wins, I think Zoubek gets it. If Butler wins, I think Mack gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Given that MSU and WVU didn't really have a standout performance, I think the All-Final Four team will be only Duke and Butler players. Right now, I'd say that our Big Three and Hayward are locks. The fifth spot will be either Zoubek or Mack (unless some "X factor" player has a monster championship game), depending upon who wins. If Duke wins, I think Zoubek gets it. If Butler wins, I think Mack gets it.
    ^I like to call that- "pulling a Dunleavy."

It wouldn't surprise me to see Zoubek have a monster game, btw. But it also wouldn't surprise me to see him and Howard foul out in the first 10 minutes. Both of those guys are sorta foul prone.

You are correct about the foul troubles but Zo has done a much better job in recent games. Howard is not fouling out as much lately either but each game he does seem to find two fouls in the first half and rides the bench for the remainder of the first half.

The problem will be that in this game they don't have anyone that can replace him. Jukes is 6'9" but he is a drop off from Howard. Howard's issues are that he is extremely slow. This will be the first game, I think, in the tourney where a team might go after him. I believe Coach K will try to go down low to Zo early and often. With Howard either getting into foul trouble or they need to double team him, Zo will be quick to kick it out for a 3. No way Howard keeps up with Miles.

I believe the only way Butler has a chance is if Mack stays in the game and they are hitting their 3's. With Lance and Mason defending Hayward he shouldn't get good or open looks at the 3 and that will force someone else to step up big for them. If someone else does, Butler is in the game.

Thus, I think Zo could be in the game of his life tonight. Bigger than the Maryland game.

This is probably a well-intentioned thread but the final hasn't been played yet. Gives me a bad feeling. Closed.