Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    As a Cardinal fan, I almost feel like apologizing.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    pitchers issued 9 BB yesterday; batters with 7 hits. Plus 2 errors. Sad. Looking like the Braves of the 70s now.
    It's worse than that, dd. According to USA Today, its the worst MLB road trip in more than sixty years, way back to when they were the Boston Braves. At least this 9 loss road trip, is over, none too soon. They play Houston at home tonight. Maybe they'll start another record breaker, but I'm not going to predict which way it will go.

Okay, so the Braves won last night, but it was at home against Houston, the only team in the National league with a worse record. It is a win, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Okay, so the Braves won last night, but it was at home against Houston, the only team in the National league with a worse record. It is a win, though.
    Oooh, a winning streak...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Oooh, a winning streak...
    Yup, a winning streak. They won again yesterday, and I enjoyed watching it very much, although Chipper was a disappointment. Hudson did just fine, but they are still last in National League East, though. Bummer.

three in a row!

Yup, a winning streak. They won again yesterday, and I enjoyed watching it very much, although Chipper was a disappointment. Hudson did just fine, but they are still last in National League East, though. Bummer.
    Another win today -- with Lowe on the bound. And three more RBIs for Heyward!!

First, nine straight losses ... now, three wins in a row (and counting)!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Another win today -- with Lowe on the bound. And three more RBIs for Heyward!!

First, nine straight losses ... now, three wins in a row (and counting)!
    And more guy hitting above the Mendoza line after their 15 hit barrage yesterday.

Well, how about that. Gotta think about who they were playing, though. The Astros are not much of a challenge. Another road trip starts, at the Nats followed by the Phillies. Well it's a chance to get out of the division basement.

Well, how about that. Gotta think about who they were playing, though. The Astros are not much of a challenge. Another road trip starts, at the Nats followed by the Phillies. Well it's a chance to get out of the division basement.
    Nothing to do but try to win some more games. Nice to see Heyward rebound during this series in a big way. I just LOVE seeing those opposite field hits. Honestly, I don't know how much longer we can keep him hitting 6th or 7th. Glaus seemed to get it going a bit, too, though, and I have faith in McCann, obviously. Plus, it's not like he's struggling to drive in runs.

batting order

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Nothing to do but try to win some more games. Nice to see Heyward rebound during this series in a big way. I just LOVE seeing those opposite field hits. Honestly, I don't know how much longer we can keep him hitting 6th or 7th. Glaus seemed to get it going a bit, too, though, and I have faith in McCann, obviously. Plus, it's not like he's struggling to drive in runs.
    I was thinking about the Braves' odd batting order yesterday and about the stubborn insistence at keeping Heyward at No. 6 or No. 7 in the lineup.

Obviously, he's getting a lot of RBIs, but I suspect that's due to his efficiency with RISP, rather than his spot in the lineup.

Lineup does matter -- Bill James did a pretty good study of how changing the lineup can have a huge impact on runs scored. He was looking at the question of whether it was better to spread your best hitters out in the lineup or to bunch them together (by far, the latter strategy is more effective).

It's pretty clear that a team should start with at least a couple of good OBP guys at the top (it helps is they can run, but getting on base is MUCH more valuable). The best all-around hitter should bat third, followed by a couple of guys with strong SLUG.

Bobby Cox has been hamstrung this year because a couple of guys who were pretty effective in the past have been awful -- Escobar (.295 OBP; .266 SLUG), McLouth (.299 OBP, 297 SLUG) and worst of all Diaz (.226 OBP; .240 SLUG). Cabrera hasn't brought much (.308 OBP, .250 SLUG).

So what can Cox do?

Well, I'd move Chipper up to No. 2 in the lineup. He's no longer a No. 3 hitter (his slugging has been falling for years and is now down to a mediocre .353). But he still gets on base -- with 14 hits and 18 walks, his OBP is a solid .372.

Prado (.414 OBP, .475 SLUG) should be No. 3, followed by Heyward (.388 OBP, .580 SLUG), McCann (.395 OBP, .394 SLUG) and Glaus (.344 OBP, .338 SLUG) ... I can see the arguement for Chipper-Prado-McCann-Heywood-Glaus, but I like Heyward batting right behind a Prado who is on the base all the time. With Chipper and Prado batting right in front of him, he would drive in a lot more runs. Then he has McCann batting behind him to protect him.

And if the Braves could find a decent leadoff hitter -- McLouth showed signs of that in the past -- the offense would take off.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I was thinking about the Braves' odd batting order yesterday and about the stubborn insistence at keeping Heyward at No. 6 or No. 7 in the lineup.

Obviously, he's getting a lot of RBIs, but I suspect that's due to his efficiency with RISP, rather than his spot in the lineup.

Lineup does matter -- Bill James did a pretty good study of how changing the lineup can have a huge impact on runs scored. He was looking at the question of whether it was better to spread your best hitters out in the lineup or to bunch them together (by far, the latter strategy is more effective).

It's pretty clear that a team should start with at least a couple of good OBP guys at the top (it helps is they can run, but getting on base is MUCH more valuable). The best all-around hitter should bat third, followed by a couple of guys with strong SLUG.

Bobby Cox has been hamstrung this year because a couple of guys who were pretty effective in the past have been awful -- Escobar (.295 OBP; .266 SLUG), McLouth (.299 OBP, 297 SLUG) and worst of all Diaz (.226 OBP; .240 SLUG). Cabrera hasn't brought much (.308 OBP, .250 SLUG).

So what can Cox do?

Well, I'd move Chipper up to No. 2 in the lineup. He's no longer a No. 3 hitter (his slugging has been falling for years and is now down to a mediocre .353). But he still gets on base -- with 14 hits and 18 walks, his OBP is a solid .372.

Prado (.414 OBP, .475 SLUG) should be No. 3, followed by Heyward (.388 OBP, .580 SLUG), McCann (.395 OBP, .394 SLUG) and Glaus (.344 OBP, .338 SLUG) ... I can see the arguement for Chipper-Prado-McCann-Heywood-Glaus, but I like Heyward batting right behind a Prado who is on the base all the time. With Chipper and Prado batting right in front of him, he would drive in a lot more runs. Then he has McCann batting behind him to protect him.

And if the Braves could find a decent leadoff hitter -- McLouth showed signs of that in the past -- the offense would take off.
    That's a great analysis. Cox is done after this year, IIRC. Are you applying for the job?

Anybody in DC going to the games against the Nats? Me and a bunch of friends (including my roommate who is a huge Braves fan) will be going tomorrow.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Anybody in DC going to the games against the Nats? Me and a bunch of friends (including my roommate who is a huge Braves fan) will be going tomorrow.
    I'm going tonight. Looking forward to a Nats sweep and keeping the Braves in the cellar.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    I'm going tonight. Looking forward to a Nats sweep and keeping the Braves in the cellar.
    By tomorrow, I meant tonight. I was also there. Good game by the Nats. Shaky defense in the 1st but displayed some hitting and just took the Braves out of it.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Arrived to see the last couple outs of the top of the first. Braves missed an opportunity to do a lot of damage. Livo is crafty and I'm glad so far that he's back with the Nats.

Heyward is something else. What a quick swing. I had no doubt he was going to connect on a sub-par Livo fastball and send it out.

Braves lose! Braves lose!

4 lousy hits last PM. Several players backing into the Mendoza line again.

OK, at least we were able to sweep the Brew Crew and get w/in 2 games of .500. Offense is showing some signs of life but we need some consistency going forward or it will be a long season.

Quote Originally Posted by northernduke View Post
    OK, at least we were able to sweep the Brew Crew and get w/in 2 games of .500. Offense is showing some signs of life but we need some consistency going forward or it will be a long season.
    That was encouraging. Lowe with an ERA under 6 now . But we gotta do better than a sub-.200 lead-off hitter and other Mendoza-like averages sprinkled throughout the batting order.

Better still against the D-backs today (anyone else hate that they've officially shortened their name?). Hooray for Prado. He may not walk much, but he just seems to keep hitting. Hopefully Escobar and McCann will get it going to bring some consistency back to the lineup. Hinske looks to be an everyday player more or less for a bit with Diaz on the DL. We took care of two teams that were struggling. Let's see if we can keep it going against the Mets. Nothing to do but keep on trying to win more games and build some momentum.

For the last dozen or so games they have been playing .600 ball, and they have climbed out of the basement. This series against the Mets should help them climb a little higher, and with aches and pains healing the Braves could be my heroes again. I sure feel comfortable when Hudson is pitching. Two doubles, an RBI, and 8 innings of top notch pitching. Give that man a raise.