Thread: Hewitt & GaTech

Hewitt & GaTech

If Hewitt leaves, who do they go after? Are our guys in the running, or would they stay out of the ACC? Do they go after Anthony Grant who has been at Bama for just a year? I am sure Donahue (coach of Cornell), the coach of St Marys, and the coach of UNI are going to be trendy names after this tourney, but I am not sure tech goes after a Johnny come lately.

Any ideas?
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

i sound like a broken record..

mark few...

ESPN is citing sources that Hewitt has turned down St. John's. Article says Hewitt told Georgia Tech "officials on Thursday that he will remain with the Yellow Jackets after conferring with his family about their desire to stay in Atlanta." If indeed true, shouldn't he have spoken with his family before interviewing ?

I'm going to laugh when he gets fired after a dismal season next year. Seriously, the dude would've been fired last year if not for the Favors commitment.

He's gonna regret this decision.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    I'm going to laugh when he gets fired after a dismal season next year. Seriously, the dude would've been fired last year if not for the Favors commitment.

He's gonna regret this decision.
    Totally agree...he got saved with the tourney appearance and ACC run. Next year, without Favors, he's doomed.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Silver Fox

Bobby Cremmins

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Totally agree...he got saved with the tourney appearance and ACC run. Next year, without Favors, he's doomed.
    Doesn't matter. His buy-out is enormous now with that extension.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Snag

According to Andy Katz on ESPN.com, Paul Hewitt has declined St. Johns' invitation to be their head basketball coach.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5027590

Duke is going to destroy Tech next year without Peacock,Lawal,Favors.

Hewitt staying at Tech

According to Andy Katz at ESPN.com, Hewitt has turned down St. John's offer to be their headcoach.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5027590

Hewitt has a buy out similar to Pete Gillen if he gets canned. Unless there's enough booster money to pony up, then he'll be there unless things get REALLY bad (and they could)
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

That was then...

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    Hewitt has a buy out similar to Pete Gillen if he gets canned. Unless there's enough booster money to pony up, then he'll be there unless things get REALLY bad (and they could)
    With the great recession I think that Hewitt and Georgia Tech are $tuck with each other for the time being, but I have to say I think that's good for Duke. As far as things getting really bad, if you are 7-9 in a down year for the ACC and your best players are probably leaving...

Hewitt was given a nice deal by the previous Tech AD after Tech went to the championship game in 2004 - it is a 6 year $1.3 million per contract with an automatic rollover - which is where the $7 million number that it will cost Tech to fire Hewitt comes from - Hewitt has to pay $3.4 milllion to get out of the contract (which he has no intention of doing)

Hewitt illustrates the danger of locking up someone when they have one hot run - of course the flip side is nobody wants to lose the next great young coach

Hewitt and Mark Bradley of the AJC (who wrote this week Hewitt should take the St. Johns offer) loathe and deserve each other - the sniping should be entertaining

Tech Alum Mood bad

I know many ardent Tech fans and alumni here in Atlanta. Their attitudes range from resigned to vociferously angry that he stays. The fans are voting with their fannies...or lack thereof in Alexander on game days. The radio and online blogs are aflame with anti-Hewitt vitriol. The gripes:
    1) Gross underachievement at a school that feels they should be either the 3rd or 4th best ACC program
    2) Poor game day coaching
    3) Total disregard of the alumni in general and the former players in specific. I had dinner with a formerTech all-american player from the pre-Hewitt era who feels unwelcome in the program.
    4) Many are unhappy with Hewitt's comments about Randy Shannon of Miami and his recruitment of black players where Hewitt implied that black players should play for black coaches.

Let the fireworks begin.

Yuck

The automatic rollover in Hewitt's contract is ridiculous. While I am sure there was pressure to give Paul a reason to stick with GT after the 2004 Final Four appearance, to be given 6 years of pay in perpetuity is just crazy in my opinion. I am sure they could have kept him with a less costly contract. Now they have a middle of the road coach who recruits well, gets mediocre results, and has a buyout so high other schools won't hire him and they can't fire him. Yuck.