Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Women lose to State

An inspired game by NC State. Duke seemed to have regained control of the game with a couple minutes to go- but a few odd mistakes at the end and State got it to one. Duke missed a layup that went in and out and State took teh lead on a tough jumper- or maybe the other way around. The whole game, State was not going away. They hit tough shot after tough shot. Duke did not play particularly well-they had a huge scoring drought in the first half and never seemed to be able to get into a rhythm in teh second. State is playing inspired ball in the second half- they just do not want to lose for their coach. Teams like that are hard to beat.

The only silver lining in all this is perhaps Duke will return home and get mean and focused for a six game run. But this should be a big lesson that from here on out- one bad game and you go home. Duke has to match the intensity of other teams. UNC and Maryland are not their only competition.
    Of course we need to root for State to win the tourney.

well, if there is a silver lining its that kay yow is who we lost to...
    I hope they can still get the greensboro regional seed, because that would be awesome
    *throws something*

Yeah, I'd rather lose to State than UNC or Maryland. But still, a tough loss. There were times where it looked like they wanted it more than us. Rebounding was huge in this game.

Ah well, one fewer game I have to watch this weekend, meaning more time for homework . . . hooray

Disappointing to lose, but State deserves a lot of credit. And I agree with goduke - losing to either Maryland or Carolina would have been a much more bitter pill to swallow. I'm certainly not of the school that it benefits the team to taste defeat, but I'm also just not that concerned with the ACC crown. It would have been very nice, but the biggest fish, by far imo, is left to fry. Six is a nice number for a final winning streak anyway.

Borrow the Lax team's motto, ladies!

Succisa Virescit!

Rest up now and lets take the big dance by storm!

Love, Ima

Coaches would deny it, as they should, but . . .

This is a fortunate loss. The pressure surrounding an undefeated season can be great. The goal is to win the NCAA's, and I think this loss might help that goal in a number of respects.

(As an added side benefit, the lesson was taught by a team other than one of our bitter riavls.)
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

Quote Originally Posted by RepoMan View Post
    Coaches would deny it, as they should, but . . .

This is a fortunate loss. The pressure surrounding an undefeated season can be great. The goal is to win the NCAA's, and I think this loss might help that goal in a number of respects.

(As an added side benefit, the lesson was taught by a team other than one of our bitter riavls.)
    Well said. I couldn't agree more!

Gary

This was an awesome loss. I couldn't be happier. (Note: not sarcastic at all)

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

I doubt any Duke fan is ecstatic seeing the women lose. Heck, I was extremely disappointed. But after the fact, I looked for a silver lining and I do think some of the comments here have hit on one.

Gary

Not sure about the pressure of being undefeated..but at the very least, this should be a wake-up call and a good tool to keep them focused in the tourney..

Coach speak and cliches--it takes the pressure off (after loss) or if winning, there is no pressure except yada,yada--team/coach, we will come back stronger or fans worry we will fall apart. It takes the edge off, the rest will do us good. We will focus better, the loss will stick in our mind. Better this team/game than---

Hey, enjoy--everyone has an opinion--mine is that A. W. has to read her shoes to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    Coach speak and cliches--it takes the pressure off (after loss) or if winning, there is no pressure except yada,yada--team/coach, we will come back stronger or fans worry we will fall apart. It takes the edge off, the rest will do us good. We will focus better, the loss will stick in our mind. Better this team/game than---

Hey, enjoy--everyone has an opinion--mine is that A. W. has to read her shoes to everyone.
    I hate losing any time, but I'm in Kay Yow's corner tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by happydays1949 View Post
    I agree. Go State.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    well, i wish i coulod say the same.
    while i agree that this may not have been the end of the world for the team and may even be used as a motivational tool for the big dance, I really dont think any of us can hoinestly say that we are happier that duke lost today than they would have been had they won (assuming you are a duke fan).

lets be honest, how many of you were drroling over a potential 38-0 record?

Just kidding. Maybe this loss will be a good thing, but we will only be able to know after the tourney is over. dissapointing, but not crushing for our team today.

Quote Originally Posted by happydays1949 View Post
    I agree completely. I'll be very unhappy if I have to watch Ms. Latta bouncing up and down tomorrow.

Question Lindsey Harding

She seems to have struggled a bit the last couple of games. Are there any tournament concerns about her health or state of mind? What's the word from Coach G on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post

I doubt any Duke fan is ecstatic seeing the women lose. Heck, I was extremely disappointed. But after the fact, I looked for a silver lining and I do think some of the comments here have hit on one.

Gary
    Dude, I was being serious so you need to take back your eyeroll. That was the best possible loss you can get. I hate being undefeated. Now the focus is on just winning the national title, with some extra prep time to boot.

Let me echo the sentiments about Kay Yow.

It's also interesting that, in 2007, a loss to State can be classified as "not to one of our bitter rivals." That wasn't always the case.

The Wolfies are up 25-20 in the 1H of the final. Ivory Latta just became UNC's all-time leading scorer, passing Tracy Reid (2200).

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

UNC 60, NCSU 54.

Can't say I'm happy about that.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Ran out of gas

State fought hard- but the finals is all about having enough gas in the tank. State had two chances with two wide open threes that would have tied it with under a minute but the legs were not there. UNC can have this tourney. Duke will get the big one.