Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WBB: Duke v. SDSU

What is the assessment of how we match up with SDSU? Whilke they have some "Cinderella" factors, since we have to play someone in the 3rd round, I'd just as soon it be a lower seed with limited NCAA experience playing 2,000+ miles from home...

We should feel confident. Let's stay focused ladies! One game at a time!!

Interesting parallels between the Duke MBB season and the WBB season.

Each team has 5 losses.
    Each won (or shared) the ACC regular season title.
    Each won the ACC Tournament.
    Each now in the Sweet Sixteen.
    Each has Baylor in the other regional semifinal (Baylor beating UTn in Memphis is less likely than Baylor reaching the men's regional final).

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Each team has 5 losses.
    Each has Baylor in the other regional semifinal (Baylor beating UTn in Memphis is less likely than Baylor reaching the men's regional final).
    Plus both men's and women's teams lead with their defense.

Interesting parallel between UNC's men's and women's teams as well: pre-season top 10, lots of talent, underachieving.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    What is the assessment of how we match up with SDSU? Whilke they have some "Cinderella" factors, since we have to play someone in the 3rd round, I'd just as soon it be a lower seed with limited NCAA experience playing 2,000+ miles from home...

We should feel confident. Let's stay focused ladies! One game at a time!!
    SDSU beat Texas on their home court in front of a lot of longhorn fans, they then beat #3 seed WVU. They aren't scared of anyone, and they have some great shooters. Our defense better be at the top of their game, because we aren't winning because we score more points, we win because we don't let the other team score as many as we do. Hopefully our incoming class has some shooters, but this current team doesn't, and it can hurt them if the defense isn't there. Honestly, I would rather play Texas or WVU.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    we aren't winning because we score more points
    This is quite a feat.

Each team has 5 losses.
    Unfortunately, though, the duke women are inching towards an inevitable collision with the unstoppable force known as the storrs freight train...the men face no such impossible task

oh well...hope they make it that far, though it would pain me to have to a)cheer against duke again and b)see duke lose by more than 20 in the national semifinals
    1200. DDMF.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I don't know about that. The Baylor women have Brittney "Juwanna Mann" Griner, she is a force to be reckoned with. She had something like 14 blocks in the second round, a tourney record. Baylor also held the Hoyas to only 33 points in that game. I can see the Vols losing to them.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I don't know about that. The Baylor women have Brittney "Juwanna Mann" Griner, she is a force to be reckoned with. She had something like 14 blocks in the second round, a tourney record. Baylor also held the Hoyas to only 33 points in that game. I can see the Vols losing to them.
    She is just about the only good player on their team...and so long as she doesn't punch out your starting 5, most good teams can win
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Unfortunately, though, the duke women are inching towards an inevitable collision with the unstoppable force known as the storrs freight train...the men face no such impossible task
    Although, if memory serves, the men faced undefeated UNLV in the 1991 national semifinal.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
    Although, if memory serves, the men faced undefeated UNLV in the 1991 national semifinal.
    i would venture an opinion that these uconn women are slightly more dominant than the 1991 unlv men....take a look at winning margin against top 25 teams...
    1200. DDMF.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Take a look at their winning margin against top 10 teams... its insane.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

oh well...hope they make it that far, though it would pain me to have to a)cheer against duke again and b)see duke lose by more than 20 in the national semifinals
    Sorry, but I disagree with the "inevitable" tone of that post. If I'm on the Duke WBB team I relish the thought of getting another crack at UCONN, especially after that earlier game in CIS. Of course we first need to focus on a couple other games before then...

One at a time. SDSU is the only one to worry about right now.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Game time is listed as 2:00EDT, but since Baylor-Tenn. is at 12:04, I would expect tipoff at about 2:30. Coverage is on ESPN. Go Blue Devils!

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Game time is listed as 2:00EDT, but since Baylor-Tenn. is at 12:04, I would expect tipoff at about 2:30. Coverage is on ESPN. Go Blue Devils!
    It wills still be 2:00. ESPN doesn't care much what happens on CBS.

It wills still be 2:00. ESPN doesn't care much what happens on CBS.
    Baylor-Tennessee is the first game at the Memphis Regional, and the Duke game will start 30 minutes after that game finishes - probably around 2:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Baylor-Tennessee is the first game at the Memphis Regional, and the Duke game will start 30 minutes after that game finishes - probably around 2:30.
    EEEK...I saw "Baylor" and thought men...my bad. I need coffee.
    It also just made me think...in that regional, three team's male counterparts are still in it...Duke, Tennessee and Baylor. Given that we are deepish in the tourney, that's pretty amazing.

I think...

Each team has 5 losses.
    both teams are undefeated at home/neutral sites

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    both teams are undefeated at home/neutral sites
    Not true...the women lost to UCONN at home.

But at least it was against UCONN.

Well, it sounded reasonable when you said it, Roy, but here are both Baylors in the Ellite Eight, after the Baylor women kicked Tennessee's you-know-what. Now, if our women can take out SDSU, we'll have a double-dose of Duke/Baylor for the Final Four.

Let's Go Duke!

Jasmine is carrying Duke early. SDSU 11, Jasmine 10, The rest of Duke 2 (Duke up 1 for those scoring at home ).