Scheyer on Dan Patrick Show

Check it out here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/dan...ve.player.html

Can't comment on it because listening to it now!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Pretty standard interview, but it's good to hear Jon in good spirits, loving playing for Duke and K.

On Maryland's fans:
    Jon: "Maryland tries to go as personal as they can get with you."
    DP: "Now, do they look at your bio?"
    Jon: "Yeah, I'm sure they do. Some of the stuff they say is just more distrurbing than anything. It's just like... why would you say that?" (laughing)

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    Pretty standard interview, but it's good to hear Jon in good spirits, loving playing for Duke and K.

On Maryland's fans:
    Jon: "Maryland tries to go as personal as they can get with you."
    DP: "Now, do they look at your bio?"
    Jon: "Yeah, I'm sure they do. Some of the stuff they say is just more distrurbing than anything. It's just like... why would you say that?" (laughing)
    Offered that he grew up disliking Duke- but came because of the others in his class and Collins. Did not talk about his back or shooting woes. Patrick gave him a hard time for taking a history class on the Caribbean. Talked about whether he listens to those that say he cannot play in the NBA and he said that he just does what he is capable of doing and realizes that the other stuff will take care of itself.

Jon is a good kid.

In addition to all of his basketball skills, Jon was amazingly kind to the kids when my son attended Coach K Basketball Camp as a nine year old. Jon joked around with the kids, played monkey in the middle, and generally was very accessible. Anyone would be proud to have a son turn out like Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by TobaMom View Post
    In addition to all of his basketball skills, Jon was amazingly kind to the kids when my son attended Coach K Basketball Camp as a nine year old. Jon joked around with the kids, played monkey in the middle, and generally was very accessible. Anyone would be proud to have a son turn out like Jon.
    You sent YOUR son to the camp, I'm pretty sure he is proud to have a mom like you.

I can't play it off the website so I'm gonna try the podcast, but it looks like there's 3 whole hours of the Dan Patrick show from the 23rd. Which hour is the Scheyer interview?

Quote Originally Posted by 1999ballboy View Post
    I can't play it off the website so I'm gonna try the podcast, but it looks like there's 3 whole hours of the Dan Patrick show from the 23rd. Which hour is the Scheyer interview?
    1st hour, a little bit in. You can kinda skip through the recording until you hear him.

good folks

quote from jon's dad that stuck with me. basically the perfect comment from a father, showing perspective on this as a long term life experience/realization, not just basketball competition:

"I remember Coach K sitting there and saying, 'Your son is going to become a man, and when you look at him his senior year he's going to be grown-up,'" Jim said. "It's amazing how fast it's gone. It went fast.

"It's just really a fortunate thing to sit back and watch him aspire to achieve something. It's gratifying. The first couple years it's more of a whirlwind. Now it's more reflection and appreciation since grade school. You think, 'You took a skill and passion, and you got a great college education, and you had experiences with basketball and met a lot of great people. You've done that.' It's been an amazing journey for this portion of his life. It's a great period for us. It's his life, not ours."

here's the old link:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/co...ott&id=4798809

I know a guy who is great friends with the scheyers and they seem like great folks. The above could seem like a cheesy quote and article except that I know their genuineness is true. I hear about it from a great old friend and co-worker.

Jon's been privileged to have his opportunities, to have great teachers of basketball around him since an early age...being privileged isn't a bad thing, it's what you do with it. I can only aspire to give my kids a similar chance and have them grow up with humility but still excel. Wish him the best. Let's win this thing on Friday and bring it home!

I suppose this is as appropriate a thread as any to offer the following comment. I have unlimited respect for Jon Scheyer, at a level that competes with my most-esteemed Duke Basketball player, Shane Battier. My admiration for Jon is far more founded on his character, leadership, intelligence, selflessness, and teamwork than on his excellent basketball skills/performance per se. Further, he seems to have a superb, intuitive sense of the game, one that has been consistently well ahead of his peers. All of which suggests that his potential to be a highly successful collegiate coach is excellent. I rather expect to see Jon, in a few years, again sitting on Duke’s bench and making great contributions to our Blue Devils; however, this time he will be attired in a business suit, rather than an athletic uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    I suppose this is as appropriate a thread as any to offer the following comment. I have unlimited respect for Jon Scheyer, at a level that competes with my most-esteemed Duke Basketball player, Shane Battier. My admiration for Jon is far more founded on his character, leadership, intelligence, selflessness, and teamwork than on his excellent basketball skills/performance per se. Further, he seems to have a superb, intuitive sense of the game, one that has been consistently well ahead of his peers. All of which suggests that his potential to be a highly successful collegiate coach is excellent. I rather expect to see Jon, in a few years, again sitting on Duke’s bench and making great contributions to our Blue Devils; however, this time he will be attired in a business suit, rather than an athletic uniform.
    'cant disagree with that. He's a kid who gets every ounce of possible performance out of his physical abilities. I suspect he plays some pro, either peripheral in NBA or in Europe, but then moves on to a long, successful coaching career.

Sure is great to have such a great representative for our team and university.

On Coach K's most recent show he said that Scheyer had never had a bad practice in his entire four years. That just shows the drive he has and the self-respect to do his best each time out. Great kid.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    On Maryland's fans:
    Thats pretty much as nice as you can get while describing the trash that he has heard every time he's been up there. Its sad really that from an age range of 18-22 this kid had to hear the relentless 4-word spew from the Maryland faithful. He's miles ahead in terms of maturity than I was at his age. I know this is in an interview setting, but wow, no sense of anger or frustration or anything... Amazing kid.