Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good news for Kentucky

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tourna...ory?id=5022928

Bad news for me, can not believe that I will be pulling for a Bob Huggins team. Unless/Go Cornell!!!

WVU loses starter

Just saw an update on the ESPN ticker saying a WVU guard broke his foot in practice, but I didn't catch who. Anyone else know?

Darryl "Truck" Bryant. I linked it in the Nolan sickness thread (it was logical in the context of the disucssion .

Oh, this sucks for WVU!

And his back-up? Joe Mazzulla. Sound familiar? He had the game of his life when they beat us in the 2nd round in 2008.

UK can still lose

No way in hell I'm rooting for Huggins and that WVU fan base. The sooner they are knocked out the better.
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

Quote Originally Posted by GODUKEGO View Post

Bad news for me, can not believe that I will be pulling for a Bob Huggins team. Unless/Go Cornell!!!
    Why not Washington? That team is on a roll.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by GODUKEGO View Post

I'm telling you guys, Cornell has a legitimate shot at taking Kentucky down. I was in Jacksonville last weekend and got to see their shellacking of Wisconsin from press row... and they are a LEGIT team. The best way to describe them is that they put 3 J.J Redick/Jon Scheyer clones and 2 Brian Zoubek (but better shooting and more athletic) clones on the floor at a time. They may not be all that athletic, but they shoot the lights out, run an efficient offense, and rebound very well for a team of skinny-white guys.

Plus, the fact is that if they shoot as well as they did against Wisconsin—more than 60% from the field and 50% from beyond the arc—they can beat anyone, UK included.

Plus, playing in Syracuse they may have a bit of a homecourt advantage, given that those Ivy Leaguers have the cash to buy tickets, haha.

Go Big Red!
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I'm telling you guys, Cornell has a legitimate shot at taking Kentucky down. I was in Jacksonville last weekend and got to see their shellacking of Wisconsin from press row... and they are a LEGIT team. The best way to describe them is that they put 3 J.J Redick/Jon Scheyer clones and 2 Brian Zoubek (but better shooting and more athletic) clones on the floor at a time. They may not be all that athletic, but they shoot the lights out, run an efficient offense, and rebound very well for a team of skinny-white guys.

Plus, the fact is that if they shoot as well as they did against Wisconsin—more than 60% from the field and 50% from beyond the arc—they can beat anyone, UK included.

Plus, playing in Syracuse they may have a bit of a homecourt advantage, given that those Ivy Leaguers have the cash to buy tickets, haha.

Go Big Red!
    I think they will score but can they stop KY? KY is blazing fast. Does Cornell play zone?

A Little Bit of Irony

44 years ago, heck it seems like yesterday, the Big Red went down to Lexington to play the then No. 3 ranked Kentucky team that had lost in the previous year's finals to Texas Western. National newspapers said it was a joke, that it would be a blowout. A blowout it was. Cornell drubbed Kentucky by over 30 points, with its 6 foot First Team All Ivy guard, Greg Morris, dropping 37 on Pat Riley's head. Yeah, a black guard from an Ivy League school killed Rupp's team in his own house, and that, my friends, and not the Texas Western game, was why Rupp finally saw the wisdom of integrating his basketball team. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Can it happen again? It'll be way cool if it does, but no one I know from my Cornell days will go nuts whatever happens. Just the way it is.

When me and the boyz get together, we talk a bit about when "we" beat Bradley when we were freshman, but hardly any of us follows anything about Cornell sports. Me, I was into the LAX team the last few years because Max Siebald, a 3X All American, was from my home town.

You folks do not know how fortunate you are to have teams year in and year out to connect you to your Duke days. I think that this year's Duke team has something special. Continue to enjoy the ride. I know I will. Greybeard

Thumbs down

Boy, you sure could see a WVU-KY matchup a couple ways...

I choose to see it as a glass HALF-FULL. At least one of them will have to lose. What couple of pieces-of-work coaches to root against -- Calimari and Huggy-baby. Is it possible to root against both teams at the same time????

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post

I choose to see it as a glass HALF-FULL. At least one of them will have to lose. What couple of pieces-of-work coaches to root against -- Calimari and Huggy-baby. Is it possible to root against both teams at the same time????

I'm rooting for a game that goes to 15 OT's and tires out the players to exhaustion.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I think they will score but can they stop KY? KY is blazing fast. Does Cornell play zone?
    That is the one problem... I didn't notice them playing much zone, and Kentucky is much more athletic then they are. The one thing, though, is they are a solid rebounding team, so they aren't going to give up many offensive boards. They can play average defense and a good Kentucky performance would be shooting 45 percent... but if Cornell shoots 50 percent, they'll win (and they can do that even against a good D).
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post

Absolutely. Unfortunately one of them has to win. You could look at like the players won the game rather than the coach. Don't know if that helps...

Huggins

I wouldn't put Bob Huggins quite in the same league as Calimari. After all, Huggins was an academic All American at WVU.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by wva_iron_duke View Post
    I wouldn't put Bob Huggins quite in the same league as Calimari. After all, Huggins was an academic All American at WVU.
    I would. He is just not as good at is as Cal is. Hugs and WVU are a great match for each other. They are both about the bottom line, doesn't matter how they get there.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    I would. He is just not as good at is as Cal is. Hugs and WVU are a great match for each other. They are both about the bottom line, doesn't matter how they get there.
    In what way is he all about the bottom line? I honestly don't know. I don't like Huggins or WVU due to this classless tool sorry I mean fool:

And to think

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    No way in hell I'm rooting for Huggins and that WVU fan base. The sooner they are knocked out the better.
    Back in the Jerry West days, I really rooted for WVU. Times do change. Go Duke!