Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 132
  1. #1

    The Reason for Scheyer's Shooting Struggles

    "You want to win, you don't wanna go home so for me I need to find a way to relax. I know I can shoot the ball. I'm putting a little too much pressure on it, and I need to look at my mechanics, maybe there could be something there too."

    http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/7275127/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by NM Duke Fan View Post
    "You want to win, you don't wanna go home so for me I need to find a way to relax. I know I can shoot the ball. I'm putting a little too much pressure on it, and I need to look at my mechanics, maybe there could be something there too."

    http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/7275127/


    Sometimes, you think about it too much. Jon's greatest shot of the last few weeks -- the turn-around bang-bang at the end of the GT ACCT game -- was pure instinct.

    I trust that he'll right the shooting, and again note that he is providing great defense and great vocal leadership. I want him on the floor, regardless of how he's shooting.

    JJ went through slumps, Trajan went through slumps. They come, they go. Jon will be fine, and when he has that break-out game it will be lights out. So keep on shooting, Jon, and know that you have a great team that has your back.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    I saw in the ACCT that he was taking much longer to shoot than he had all season and now in the NCAA's he is getting very frustrated when he misses. I remember against Ark-PB, Coach Collins talking to him and you could just see the frustration on Jon's face.

    I think the frustration comes from him wanting to win and help the team so badly that when he doesn't perform well he starts feeling it is his fault if the team loses. He needs to realize that if your shot isn't falling it doesn't mean you aren't helping the team it means you should focus that much harder on playing D, finding other people (assists), and hustling so that the lack of points from you is made up for with other tangibles and intangibles.

    I think he is doing just that and focusing on other area's of his game when the shots aren't falling but the frustration is not going away.

  4. #4
    As I tell my Qigong and Ancient Awareness Skills students--sometimes you have to lose your mind and come to your senses!

  5. #5
    I thought everyone already knew this. Jon's shooting struggles are a result of Bob Green not putting down enough reverse mojo to counter his proclamations in the Scheyer Stats thread.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    you're all wrong!

    obviously it's tired legs and k overplaying his starters.......pause......not
    9f

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Calipari Hell
    Well here's another situation where the odd depth perception/sightlines in the Houston facility could be a wildcard. Is it going to further mess with his head, or will the new environment help him break out of the funk?

    Or is that concept entirely overrated? Most teams seem to adapt perfectly well to these football venues.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Texas/NC
    Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    I thought everyone already knew this. Jon's shooting struggles are a result of Bob Green not putting down enough reverse mojo to counter his proclamations in the Scheyer Stats thread.
    Jason Evans really toyed with that mojo too in the ScheyerStats thread. Those two are pretty much solely responsible IMO, since that article says Jon isn't shooting well because of pressure and we all know that Jon is unaffected by pressure... right? (nervous noises)

    Although, counter argument: Now that Jon has passed 2,000, the counter mojo issue is gone. Smooth sailing from here on out (knock on wood).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC

    Jon's shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by noyac View Post
    I saw in the ACCT that he was taking much longer to shoot than he had all season and now in the NCAA's he is getting very frustrated when he misses. I remember against Ark-PB, Coach Collins talking to him and you could just see the frustration on Jon's face.

    I think the frustration comes from him wanting to win and help the team so badly that when he doesn't perform well he starts feeling it is his fault if the team loses. He needs to realize that if your shot isn't falling it doesn't mean you aren't helping the team it means you should focus that much harder on playing D, finding other people (assists), and hustling so that the lack of points from you is made up for with other tangibles and intangibles.

    I think he is doing just that and focusing on other area's of his game when the shots aren't falling but the frustration is not going away.
    I think we can now discount that Jon's troubles are because of tired legs. His defense seems to be good. Matter of fact, I think his defense has gotten better. He's moving well and I don't think it's his back. Coach K said he was physically well. So that leaves a mental problem. I agree that Jon's not shooting the ball as quick. I always felt Jon had a pretty quick release, but no so quick lately. Looks like he's thinking/pressing before he let's it go. As for his drives to the goal, I think he's not going up strong. Could be from all the mugging he took in the ACC season. A Good shooting game will get his confidence back. We need him at his best to reach the FF. Go Duke!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Baltimore
    Quote Originally Posted by KyDevilinIL View Post
    Or is that concept entirely overrated? Most teams seem to adapt perfectly well to these football venues.
    Don't they have a full 4 days to practice in this setting? I think they'll be fine. As fans we over-analyze everything.

  11. #11
    I've read and heard so much about basketball in the past week that I can't say where I heard or read it in the last day but someone asked Jon pointedly where his shot was. He answered , "It's in Houston." then, "I'll get it back in Durham and it'll be in Houston." Damn straight.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Jon is a thoughtful, sensitive guy...no, really he is, and that's a good thing in most aspects of life. It's even good for some things in basketball---studying the game, valuing the team concept, etc.

    But for pure shooting, it's probably better to be a no-conscience gunner, who knows the next shot is going in even if he just missed 10 of them. Jon had some open looks on Sunday where he had plenty of time...maybe too much time to think about the shot.

    If this slump doesn't work itself out, maybe it would be better to run him off some screens and curls so he has to put up a quick shot (and not over-think things)?

    It's a tribute to Jon that he continues to play the other aspects of the game in a superb fashion while struggling with his shot.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Brooklet, GA
    There was a play early in the game yesterday (about halfway through the first half) where Jon caught the ball near the top of the key and was wide open. He hesitated and then took the shot, which he missed. That hesitation was clear evidence of this problem. Jon, just pull the trigger in rhythm, man.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    nyc

    it's been a long time...

    it's been a long time since he's shot the ball well. this rules out tired legs (his legs haven't been tired since january right?). it could be mental. or it could be mechanics. something is weird about his mechanics to begin with...hence the ball spinning sort of sideways upon release. if zoubek and the plumlees and thomas continue to pick up the slack, the most important thing is for jon just to keep putting up quality minutes in all other respects, as several of you have pointed out already. i love that we barely turn the ball over and a lot of that credit has to go to jon.

    from an optimistic perspective, the fact that jon isn't shooting well could be a blessing in disguise. creating more opportunities for others to shine. providing a better experience and more confidence to other players. and then if in houston jon figures out how to score again, it's like going from from the cold pool at the water park to the warm pool. it's gonna feel great.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by ElSid View Post
    it's been a long time since he's shot the ball well. this rules out tired legs (his legs haven't been tired since january right?). it could be mental. or it could be mechanics. something is weird about his mechanics to begin with...hence the ball spinning sort of sideways upon release. if zoubek and the plumlees and thomas continue to pick up the slack, the most important thing is for jon just to keep putting up quality minutes in all other respects, as several of you have pointed out already. i love that we barely turn the ball over and a lot of that credit has to go to jon.

    from an optimistic perspective, the fact that jon isn't shooting well could be a blessing in disguise. creating more opportunities for others to shine. providing a better experience and more confidence to other players. and then if in houston jon figures out how to score again, it's like going from from the cold pool at the water park to the warm pool. it's gonna feel great.
    Technically, that first sentence isn't true. Scheyer shot it pretty well in the opening round game (3 of 5 on 3s, 4 of 7 overall). He hasn't shot it well consistently in a long time. He's only had a handful of strong shooting games since the end of January, mixed in with a lot of clunkers.

  16. #16
    I think Jon should start driving to the hoop more and taking some shots closer in. He is very capable of scoring points this way and it could go a long way in restoring his confidence....if that is really the issue.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Van Nuys, CA
    Not really true,his dribble drive from the baseline was an airball against Cal. He misses more than he makes in his drives. Nolan is the star of the dribble drive. Its not Jon's back its not fatigue. He is missing his shots period. He needs to work on it between now and Friday.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Texas/NC
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeHopkins View Post
    Don't they have a full 4 days to practice in this setting? I think they'll be fine. As fans we over-analyze everything.
    They still have to go to school.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincetaylor View Post
    I think Jon should start driving to the hoop more and taking some shots closer in. He is very capable of scoring points this way and it could go a long way in restoring his confidence....if that is really the issue.
    Except that's kind of been his problem for the entire slump. Since (and including) the Florida State game on Jan 27, Jon has shot 38.4% on this three-point attempts (which is actually a little better than his career percentage of 38.0%), but only 30.9% on his two-point attempts.

    I agree there's a lot of value for a slumping player to see the ball go through the hoop, but at least in the past month and a half, taking close-in shots doesn't appear to be an effective way for Jon to accomplish that.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Jon needs to breathe out of his eyelids like the lava lizards of the Galapagos Islands.


    That, or just watch some silly movie before the game to relax.

Similar Threads

  1. Scheyer's Season Preview
    By airowe in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-13-2009, 07:20 PM
  2. A thought on our recent struggles
    By yancem in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-26-2008, 02:16 PM
  3. Scheyer's face
    By karmacoma in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-16-2007, 08:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •