Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks, ary. That's what I figured, but thought I would ask anyway.

If we make it, I am going. I don't care what it takes.

My input so far

Best margaritas as voted on in the Houston Press(and confirmed by me and my wife for the best inexpensive and tasty) La Bodega Cafe in the med center. The Mango margarita (not frozen) is absolutely wonderful and very powerful.

For pure margarita lovers, however, the choices at Hugo's our outstanding and will knock your socks off. Go with the Hugorita or some of the primo tequila's with a little triple sec.

Gotta also agree that you cannot beat Hugo's for the finest upscale Mexican food. Totally NOT Tex-mex. Ate next to Pink Floyd one evening out on the patio. Also have to agree that the Sunday buffet is like no other. Maybe a bit pricey for some at around $30 or $40 (I think), but like no other Mexican food you have ever tasted. Also, ask if Ana can be your server. She's the very best. You can use my name if you want. My wife and I have been regulars for years. If you do not have a car, I think it's even worth a group cab to go there.

Otilia's out on Longpoint has been witten up in Zagat for years and is worth the trip. It's Tex-mex. It's located in an old renovated Whataburger. Not to worry about having a car dented, however, due to all the Beemers and Mercedes parked outside.

Best BBQ is going to be obviously Goode Company BBQ on Kirby. Same street next to the stadium, but a "fur piece" away. For all you NC BBQ fans, they have a great BBQ sauce. In my opinion, the ribs (pork) aren't good enough to waste your stomach capacity on. The turkey sausage is O.K, and so is their Czech sausage. If you like it extra hot, get it with Jalapenos. The brisket is good, and sometimes I like the Duck. You might want to try it if you like Duck. Be sure to leave room for some of the best Pecan Pie you have ever tasted.

If you want the good stuff, however, you may want to make a pilgrimage to Lockhart (the official State BBQ capital of Texas) to try different things at some different BBQ places there. Small town conveniently located within the triangle made up San antonio, Houston and Austin. Just a short (for us Texans) 2 hour and 30 minute drive from Houston. If you are seriously thinking of making the trip on Saturday, just let me know, and I will give you exact details. I go just for lunch at Kreuz Market and then drive back at least twice a year. I'd have to go more often if I wasn't able to also go other times on the way to and from Austin, or to play golf nearby.

No time to write more now, so I'll leave more for tomorrow. Just to let you know, however, we have Vietnamese, Thai, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, etc.; all kinds of Italian, gourmet Indian along with the all different kinds of regular Indian fare; southwestern fusion; outstanding burger places; Honduran, Nicaraguan; etc., etc. My wife and I have eaten at dozens and dozens and dozens of the very best restaurants here and can let you know about them. In fact, we think they are almost as good as the great restaurants in Durham----seriously. (Since we have eaten at just about every single great restaurant in Durham the past 6 years on game visits, I think we are qualified to say that.)

So, if anyone needs more specifics, just PM me, or post on this thread with questions. I cannot answer during the workday, however, as I do not post from my work. (That doesn't stop me from reading the threads all day long, however.)

Oh, do look into the Bayou City Art Festival for Saturday during the day. Google it and get the info. It's really fun if it is a nice day---but follow the directions on what to do because you cannot drive and park there. Buses are available for free from different locations, however.

More tomorrow.

ricks

I'm from Houston as well and there have been some great suggestions on here so far. As far as restaurants go, I think the main one's have been hit. I will say that the queso at Escalante's is a close second in my book to Jose's Dip at Molina's. They're very different. Jose's Dip is more traditional yellow cheese but with ground beef mixed in, whereas Escalante's has a white cheese queso that's pretty amazing.

Also, ricks68 mentioned Goode Company BBQ's pecan pie and I have to second that. I'll also mention that they sell wrapped up pies in a really nice, decorative wooden box that makes for a great gift if you wanted to bring friends or family something "Texan." There's instructions for heating it up in the oven and in my experience people have really enjoyed the pie and have thought it was pretty unique.

If you do feel the need to get some fast food, make sure that you go to Whataburger instead of one of the national chains. For fast food it's usually pretty good and in particular, I actually really like their breakfast taquitos.

Lastly, if the weather is nice and you've got some down time, there are a couple of nice parks in Houston. Memorial Park has a great running track that's ideal if you're trying to get a workout while in town. Hermann Park is a really nice place to just walk around. Lastly, there's a new park downtown, Discovery Green, that I haven't spent much time in but it's new and if you're downtown might be a nice place to rest for a bit.

FYI -- One of my partners just told me he has 4 pretty decent tickets. He has offered them to a Baylor alum friend, but if he doesn't take them, then he offered them to me. We already have tickets, but I will post on this BB if they come available.

Now that A&M and Louisville are not coming, I don't think there will be any problem with tickets to the games. Reliant is a truly huge football stadium, and the fan bases of Purdue and St. Mary's can't be that big.

Also on food, I can't believe I haven't mentioned this:

I have traveled far and wide, but have never encountered donuts better than Shipley's donuts. Their regular glazed donuts are an institution.

Kolaches... Texans are always shocked to find out that people across america have no clue what this delicious breakfast food is. Think, pig in a blanket but more sophisticated. They are Round rolls with hollow interiors, filled with ingredients like... ham, turkey, jalapeno, bacon, egg, onion, potato, etc... and almost always cheese.

Make your way to Kolache factory for a uniquely Texan (and maybe chicago too) breakfast experience.

Thanks to those who posted recs and pm-ed others.

I think I just gained 5 lbs from reading the suggestions. Looking forward to those magaritas. And my Louisiana husband is going to pass out with happiness
    when he hears that Whataburger is available.

I'm told that team/IDs hotel is the Hilton-Americas downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil07 View Post
    If you do feel the need to get some fast food, make sure that you go to Whataburger instead of one of the national chains. For fast food it's usually pretty good and in particular, I actually really like their breakfast taquitos.
    Beck's Prime, imo. Whataburger is a great alternative to McD's, Burger King, etc. But if you are in Houston, it's Beck's. Plus if you take that run in Memorial Park you are suggesting, you can reward yourself with a 1/2 pound hamburger at the end at the Beck's by the driving range.

So here are my thoughts as someone that has been out of Houston for 3.5 years (but goes back often). Apologize if dated :

Restaurants:
    Hugo's is great. Expensive, but great.
    Backstreet,
    Tony Mandola's Gulf Coast (the off the menu Calamari a la Mama is the best calamari you will ever have)
    La Griglia -- May be my favorite restaurant in Houston for food & vibe. Lots of local celebrities eat here.
    Vic & Anthony's for Steak which is near Four Seasons and Hilton downtown.
    Lankford Grocery (is it open on Saturday? Bring cash!!)
    Churrasco's (Argentinian food -- awesome)
    Gravitas
    Max's Wine Dive -- Wine bar with southern cuisine like Chicken and Waffles
    Ruggle's Grill -- a little dated, but best veggie sides in town with huge portions.

As for Mexican, I think Chuy's is the most overrated food in Texas. But that's just me. I'd recommend El Tiempo (the Margaritas are dan-ger-ous) and Teala's. If you want to have a really good time, head down westheimer to a little hole in the wall called "El Patio." Their bar is called "Club No Minors" because, well, that's what it says on the door (you'll need a reservation) You can get all the same food in there, drink even MORE dangerous margaritas, and listen to the dirtiest mariachi band this side of Juarez. Please cab it or have a driver if you go there.

Brunches -- can't go wrong with Hugo's. If you are up for a wild start to your Sunday, though, check out La Strada. Don't know if it's the same, but it could get a little rated R early on a Sunday morning in there. Benjy's (at least 2 locations) is also a lot of fun with great food. Make reservations at all those places though.

Other "high end" fast food - Mentioned Beck's. Another cool place is Amazon Cafe on Kirby (which is to Churasscos what Pei Wei is to PF Chang's. A lot of fun and very kid friendly). Goode Co. Tacos on Kirby is much the same vibe.

Going out -- Washington Ave is the new "it" spot. My best friend is bar manager at Absolve Wine Lounge in the area, which I haven't been to, but I'll likely be there Saturday night. Washington is getting a bit too big for its britches though (hence the popular term, the "douchefication of Washington Ave"), and it's a little sad as they've run off all the famous live music venues on the street. I typically prefer some of the one-off spots in midtown, rice village, river oaks area. If you are looking for places to go in those areas, PM me. Downtown and Midtown have plenty of fun places to be at night. Just be careful. Midtown, especially, can be a bit squirrelly at night despite the high end condos in the area.

layout of stadium

Hey,

Is anyone familiar with the layout of Reliant for bball games? Are tickets in sec 133 (corner) good? It's hard to tell from the map. Also, what's the difference between riser and field-level? Thanks!

I don't know about that section, but I THINK the risers are the temporary bleachers put up around the court. Remember, this is a football field. If you centered a basketball court, the fans would be very far away. So they are putting risers around the court. And then the regular seats are behind those.

I think it would have been better to have done this in Toyota Center (our NBA place, which is downtown and a wonderful facility); however, this is a trial run at Reliant for the Final Four next year. So that's why they are putting it in a place that can seat such a huge number of people, even though its unrealistic to think that a Regional could fill it all up, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ambitiouspear View Post
    Hey,

Is anyone familiar with the layout of Reliant for bball games? Are tickets in sec 133 (corner) good? It's hard to tell from the map. Also, what's the difference between riser and field-level? Thanks!
    looks like you're quite a ways away

http://www.ticketmaster.com/seatingchart/98764/27147

As far as seating in the stadium goes, 78Devil is correct. The risers are temporary seating that will go from courtside up to where the field level seats begin. If you are looking on Stubhub or a ticket site like that, the riser section will have rows that are numbered, while the field level tickets will have rows that are lettered. I have seen tickets on Stubhub listed in the "field level" sections with numbered rows, which actually means that they are in the risers area and closer to the court.

If you watched the Final Four last year, you saw the court was elevated at the very center of the football field in Detroit, and that's the same setup that will be used in Houston. What will be interesting is if they use the floor seating behind the baskets for student sections like they did at the Final Four last year.

In terms of the crowd, Baylor's athletic department posted on Twitter earlier today that over 40,000 tickets have been sold. That won't fill up the entire stadium, but it will still be a huge crowd for basketball.

Does anybody know what time the regional final is scheduled for on Sunday? Just trying to plan in case the unexpected happens and we by some miracle manage to avoid a typical Duke Sweet Sixteen flameout and beat the clearly superior and more athletic Purdue team. [Saracasm and reverse jinx alert]

Anyone know what time the Sunday games are at? (taking nothing for granted, but need to plan my schedule)

The Sunday start times are usually 2:30 PM and 5 PM Eastern, and looking at the TV schedules, that's what it looks like this year. The problem is that CBS doesn't decide the order of the games until after the games on Friday night, so the safe thing is just to block out the entire afternoon for basketball.

Update for A-Tex devil info

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    So here are my thoughts as someone that has been out of Houston for 3.5 years (but goes back often). Apologize if dated :

Restaurants:
    Hugo's is great. Expensive, but great.
    Backstreet,
    Tony Mandola's Gulf Coast (the off the menu Calamari a la Mama is the best calamari you will ever have)
    La Griglia -- May be my favorite restaurant in Houston for food & vibe. Lots of local celebrities eat here.
    Vic & Anthony's for Steak which is near Four Seasons and Hilton downtown.
    Lankford Grocery (is it open on Saturday? Bring cash!!)
    Churrasco's (Argentinian food -- awesome)
    Gravitas
    Max's Wine Dive -- Wine bar with southern cuisine like Chicken and Waffles
    Ruggle's Grill -- a little dated, but best veggie sides in town with huge portions.

As for Mexican, I think Chuy's is the most overrated food in Texas. But that's just me. I'd recommend El Tiempo (the Margaritas are dan-ger-ous) and Teala's. If you want to have a really good time, head down westheimer to a little hole in the wall called "El Patio." Their bar is called "Club No Minors" because, well, that's what it says on the door (you'll need a reservation) You can get all the same food in there, drink even MORE dangerous margaritas, and listen to the dirtiest mariachi band this side of Juarez. Please cab it or have a driver if you go there.

Brunches -- can't go wrong with Hugo's. If you are up for a wild start to your Sunday, though, check out La Strada. Don't know if it's the same, but it could get a little rated R early on a Sunday morning in there. Benjy's (at least 2 locations) is also a lot of fun with great food. Make reservations at all those places though.

Other "high end" fast food - Mentioned Beck's. Another cool place is Amazon Cafe on Kirby (which is to Churasscos what Pei Wei is to PF Chang's. A lot of fun and very kid friendly). Goode Co. Tacos on Kirby is much the same vibe.

Going out -- Washington Ave is the new "it" spot. My best friend is bar manager at Absolve Wine Lounge in the area, which I haven't been to, but I'll likely be there Saturday night. Washington is getting a bit too big for its britches though (hence the popular term, the "douchefication of Washington Ave"), and it's a little sad as they've run off all the famous live music venues on the street. I typically prefer some of the one-off spots in midtown, rice village, river oaks area. If you are looking for places to go in those areas, PM me. Downtown and Midtown have plenty of fun places to be at night. Just be careful. Midtown, especially, can be a bit squirrelly at night despite the high end condos in the area.
    Backstreet Cafe is same owner as Hugo's and has excellent (southwestern?) food and a great outside back patio.

I ate at Lankford's two weeks ago and the burgers were outstanding. Yes, they only take cash.

Churrasco's, America's and Amazon are owned by a friend and former patient of mine when I was in private practice, and feature Nicaraguan food. My favorite desert of all time is their Pio X, which is a tequila laced bread pudding (no way, but that's what they claim it to be) topped with a very, very, very thick layer of the richest, creamiest cinnamon flavored heavy cream served in a martini glass. It is not served at Amazon, as that is their low-cost restaurant on Kirby down the street from Goode Company.

Max's Wine Dive changed chef's and has lost its popularity, which is actually good news, because now you don't have to wait an hour or more for a table. The food has definitely dropped off, but if you have never eaten there, you wouldn't know it because it's still excellent. The fried chicken with chipolte honey dip is nothing short of the fried chicken and waffles at Roscoe's in LA. Also, the apple crisp desert will wipe you, and at least one other person, out---but you have to allow about 20-30 minutes for it to bake. If you go there, take the time to wait for it.

The original Ruggles (there's like a bar/grill in the baseball stadium and a sandwich shop) got wiped out by Ike, and has just reopened last month. Don't know how much has changed. The usual approximately 7 veggies that came with each entree were fantastic, along with the entree----small portions of the veggies, so it fit just fine.

Other restaurant's mentioned by A-Tex are also good in my opinion, just needed to update what he has posted, since he stated that he has not been around for a while. I envy him, however, as he is a heck of a lot closer to Kreuz Market than I am.

In addition, so as not to be confused, It's Amazon Grill; and Goode Company Hamburgers across the street from their BBQ place----although it really serves Mexican with a burger on the menu. Really good. Try the quail, and also a great place for Tex-Mex breakfast.

Oh, and a correction to one of my previous posts, it's the Bodega Taco Shop, not the La Bodega Cafe.

If anyone needs more restaurant info, such as the freshest, best Thai food in Houston served by the "Thai Nazi", it's Kanamwon on Telephone Rd. But you better go early, as he turns off the "open" sign at 8:30 sharp. BYOB. No corkage fee of any kind.

There's many more great restaurants near where you will be staying, such as Dolce Vita, which has the most remarkeable Italian food around with a nice bar that you can eat at. Not your normal U.S. Italian fare---shaved brussel sprouts, funky grilled artichokes, very crispy pizzas with unusual toppings like nothing you have ever had. I don't remember if they have tomato sauce on them at all or not. It's right next door to the greatest Indian (fusion ) restaurant around--written up nationally. Hot stuff, but incredible different flavors with every bite. Best chocolate bread pudding this side of the Palace Cafe in "Nawlins".

If you need info on any other specific kind of restaurants, or other info, just PM me and I'll give you my cell #. If you get stuck on anything while you're here, just call me.

By the way, I know so much about the food here because I've been here about 35 years, and my wife (until this year) only made "reservations" for dinner.

Have a great time here, and don't bother to eat at the restaurant at Discovery Green. The write-up on the service has been not good, with the food not much better compared to most of the other good restaurants in town---but that is just word-of-mouth from me as I have not eaten there.

ricks
    Last edited by ricks68; 03-24-2010 at 01:09 AM. Reason: caught some mispelled words, but probably more

What all we former and current Houstonians are trying to tell you is: Just bring your loose pants and big belt. We eat well and for good reason.

Just saw the weather forcast -- perfect Spring weather this weekend. Come on down!