NCAA rejects Memphis Final Appeal

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5018281

I thought some would find this interesting if you haven't already checked it out. Also, the conversations over there are getting extremely interesting being that most our pointing fingers towards Duke and the Corey Maggette incident. Somehow, everything falls back on Duke.

37 wins still the LEGITIMATE most in 1 season. Let the boys from Ithaca play a Gorges game this Thursday!

They brought up a point in the comments that I have been discussing with some friends about how in some instances the coach and the player's involved get away with no penalties and the schools are left cleaning up the mess.

In this case it looks like Memphis is out of at least 600k. I am not a lawyer but other than for looking petty why not bring up a lawsuit against Calipari and/or Rose to at least get back that money and possibly some damages. I would also sue Rose for the amount of his athletic scholarship, all travel expenses, room and board, etc.

I will say this again so I don't get roasted on this board but I know it is would appear petty but it might set a good precident that the schools aren't going to put up with this and foot the bill.

I find it telling, and amusing, that neither Memphis nor Rose have ever attempted to argue that he actually did achieve the disputed score, or explain why Rose supposedly traveled to Detroit to take the exam.

I believe in both cases, the school and the coach that was assiocated with the violation should be fined. I know that some feel that Memphis didn't know anything about the situation but a good Athletic Director should know what he's getting himself into when hiring a coach who has brought this on once before.

Quote Originally Posted by noyac View Post
    They brought up a point in the comments that I have been discussing with some friends about how in some instances the coach and the player's involved get away with no penalties and the schools are left cleaning up the mess.

In this case it looks like Memphis is out of at least 600k. I am not a lawyer but other than for looking petty why not bring up a lawsuit against Calipari and/or Rose to at least get back that money and possibly some damages. I would also sue Rose for the amount of his athletic scholarship, all travel expenses, room and board, etc.

I will say this again so I don't get roasted on this board but I know it is would appear petty but it might set a good precident that the schools aren't going to put up with this and foot the bill.
    That is a great idea! I for one agree with you. You cannot sit back and let people tarnish your schools name if the school was not part of the problem and it was a booster and player than suit them. Because you are the one being punished for their actions.

When I heard this story on the radio it was reported that Memphis was considering demanding a return of some bonus money. Hey, if they really didn't win those games the performance bonuses shouldn't count.

Someone forward this article to ESPN's blathering idiots, so they'll stop talking about how Calipari has had 5 30-win seasons in a row. It isn't true.

Well I'm certainly not going to roast you. The fact that coaches receive no penalty for this stuff is mind-boggling to me. I guess after enough incidents they can't coach in college anymore b/c no one will risk it, but there always seems to be an NBA gig waiting for them, as was/is the case with Sampson and Floyd.

I don't know if suing is the best answer, but could you really blame them?

Well it will forever be in the memories of their fans

Quote Originally Posted by Duke4Ever32 View Post
    Someone forward this article to ESPN's blathering idiots, so they'll stop talking about how Calipari has had 5 30-win seasons in a row. It isn't true.
    My thought when I saw this article was, maybe the reason ESPN, CBS, et al. have been counting the wins is because it was still in the legal process. They couldn't say the wins didn't count because the final appeal hadn't been ruled on. If that's true then Memphis conceivably could have sued CBS for NOT counting the wins, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by TNDukeFan View Post
    My thought when I saw this article was, maybe the reason ESPN, CBS, et al. have been counting the wins is because it was still in the legal process. They couldn't say the wins didn't count because the final appeal hadn't been ruled on. If that's true then Memphis conceivably could have sued CBS for NOT counting the wins, yes?
    And what would be the damages alleged in such a suit?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Good point, maybe not sued, but Memphis might have raised a stink about being unfairly maligned...

Quote Originally Posted by TNDukeFan View Post
    And yet... CBS went out of their way to BRING UP these "Records." All they had to do was not mention it.

Congratulations Coach Calipari! You now have two-of-kind...

What's the over-under on when he draws to three-of-kind (which will truly be an impressive hand). I say about 3.5 - 4.5 years. Any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    The damages can be quite extensive in this suit. I am not sure how the university(s) can quantify it but I am sure they have lost some income as a result of the actions of players and coaches that have caused schools to vacate wins, games, etc.

I am sorry but I have to mention it again but this is example fits in vey well with this argument; Baylor had to play a season in which all they played was conference games due to their coach's actions. The damages in this case is all of the income they lost due to not playing any non-conference games at home or on the road (18 game season). I think that would have been quite a bit of money in this case.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I didn't see it in print, but I would assume that Calipari has to remove those from his record as well? Bobby Bowden had to lose the victories from his record, so I would assume the same applies.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."