Thread: Dai-Jon Parker

Dai-Jon Parker

That's a football offer, Parker won't be recruited by Coach K. But yes, he seems like quite the athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    That's a football offer, Parker won't be recruited by Coach K. But yes, he seems like quite the athlete.

It said both though.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    It said both though.
    But would only be counted towards the football limit if he plays both. Sounds and looks like a freakish athlete in the Nolan mold. Not great ballhandling, and a bit undersized for a SG, but a nice stroke and good speed/hops.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    It said both though.
    The article certainly wasn't clear, but why would a kid need two scholarships? I know Duke tuition is expensive, but...

He is being recruited as a football player, but could certainly walk-on to the basketball team.

I think there are rules about kids playing in football and another sport requiring the scholarship to be a football scholly. Something about keeping schools from getting more football players by stashing their scholarships on other sports. I'm not sure what the particulars are.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Do you mean he won't get an official scholarship offer from Coach K if he already has a football one? Or that Coach K won't recruit him at all?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    I think there are rules about kids playing in football and another sport requiring the scholarship to be a football scholly. Something about keeping schools from getting more football players by stashing their scholarships on other sports. I'm not sure what the particulars are.
    There is a hierarchy of precedence. If an athlete plays football and another sport, the scholarship given ALWAYS counts against football even if he was recruited for the other sport. Basketball, I believe, is second in the hierarchy...

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Do you mean he won't get an official scholarship offer from Coach K if he already has a football one? Or that Coach K won't recruit him at all?
    Coach Cutcliffe will recruit him to play football and he has been extended a scholarship offer to play football at Duke. He will not be a recruited basketball player, but may walk-on to the basketball team if he comes to Duke.

Absolutely delighted with the offer! This kid is rly good

TY for stepping up the recruiting,K.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    There is a hierarchy of precedence. If an athlete plays football and another sport, the scholarship given ALWAYS counts against football even if he was recruited for the other sport. Basketball, I believe, is second in the hierarchy...
    Thanks!

He doesn't sound like the physical type of player that Reggie Love was, but Reggie played football and also walked on as a basketball player and gave us some decent service on the hardwood. Then he went on to be the Prez's "body man", which has to be just about as good a recruiting pitch as can be for a guy considering playing both sports. Then there's Greg Paulus, who is now going for a shot at the NFL after a successful college career as a basketball player and one college year of football, another good recruiting pitch for such a player.

WR Austin Kelly (who is my neighbor) also has practiced with the team so this would hardly be unprecedented.

When Paulus was new at Duke there was some discussion along these lines. But I recall someone in the know explaining that, as a BB-first recruit, he couldn't ALSO play football for the first two years (just BB). Not sure if the "hierarchy" of sports makes that true in reverse - when football is the primary sport... Seems like a remarkable kid.