Western Teams' Performance in NCAA's

Even though I live out here on the west coast, I've never been a big fan of west coast college hoops. But I have to say, I'm impressed by the performance of the western teams this year, in particular because the season was such a poor one for western basketball. I think it's the story of the tournament so far.

St Mary's and Washington are both in the Sweet 16, very much against the odds. Cal had a very good win in round one. So did BYU. And Gonzaga. New Mexico State had Michigan State beaten until the refs threw MSU a very large bone late in the game that essentially sealed it for them. None of those teams was seeded higher than a 7. Really the only western team that didn't compete was UCSB as a #15 seed.

All I can say is that I hope the trend stops tomorrow in Jacksonville.

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Even though I live out here on the west coast, I've never been a big fan of west coast college hoops. But I have to say, I'm impressed by the performance of the western teams this year, in particular because the season was such a poor one for western basketball. I think it's the story of the tournament so far.

St Mary's and Washington are both in the Sweet 16, very much against the odds. Cal had a very good win in round one. So did BYU. And Gonzaga. New Mexico State had Michigan State beaten until the refs threw MSU a very large bone late in the game that essentially sealed it for them. None of those teams was seeded higher than a 7. Really the only western team that didn't compete was UCSB as a #15 seed.

All I can say is that I hope the trend stops tomorrow in Jacksonville.

Yes, I agree, particularly Washington who wasn't expected by the pundits to do much but are obviously for real and may give their next opponent (WVA?) all they can handle.