Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Free...freediving

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I thought the same thing. The show has such great attention to detail, I am surprised they goofed on this one. I am fairly sure that without proper training, it is virtually impossible for someone to dive to more than about 30 meters without proper training.

-Jason "maybe depths are different on the island, the same way time is different " Evans
    I did some free diving in my younger days, and can say that the first issue is that depth is very deceiving when you dive. Even compared to scuba - something about looking down onto something from the surface makes it all look very distant. From my experience, the hatch looked about 10m-15m down, which is still deep. It is amazing how far that sees when you are low on oxygen, and the water, somehow, makes it look even farther. However, that distance is doable for a novice. I was diving that deep without a 'weight belt' on my first few tries. I wasn't staying down there for more than 1-2 seconds, but I was keeping up with my buddy who was experienced (of course, he stayed down for another 30 seconds)

In short, I found the dive plausible. And his reaction to finding air in the hatch also plausible.

Exiled

Can you elaborate a bit more. My TIVO had a hizzy fit because Grey's went long and ER was going at the same time or something like that. In any event, I somehow missed the special and I am not happy!!

Specifically, what did they say about the Smoke monster, the outside world, and the Others not wanting to leave. Was there more detail than what you already gave?

-Jason "I need my Lost fix!!!" Evans
    Smoke monster - they sad that the smoke monster could evidently read memories and substantiate them in visions. they mentioned Kate's horse, Jack's dad and the vision of Walt. Conspicuously not mentioned: Ben's mom and Eko's brother

Other's not wanting to leave - they said "the Others don't want to be found" which I interpreted as 'they don't want to leave the island', but could be 'they don't want the Losties to find them'

They mentioned the listening station as the first sign of the outside world, and described it as being "someplace with snow" which was dodgy - they left the direct location out of the conversation on purpose, IMO.

I have spent time since last night thinking about the omissions of the show. the most glaring? Kate's dinner on the beach with Ben.

Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    I did some free diving in my younger days, and can say that the first issue is that depth is very deceiving when you dive. Even compared to scuba - something about looking down onto something from the surface makes it all look very distant. From my experience, the hatch looked about 10m-15m down, which is still deep. It is amazing how far that sees when you are low on oxygen, and the water, somehow, makes it look even farther. However, that distance is doable for a novice. I was diving that deep without a 'weight belt' on my first few tries. I wasn't staying down there for more than 1-2 seconds, but I was keeping up with my buddy who was experienced (of course, he stayed down for another 30 seconds)

In short, I found the dive plausible. And his reaction to finding air in the hatch also plausible.

Exiled
    Really?! 70 meters (230 feet!) in one breath after he barely dives without any flippers?! I'm still having a hard time with this. Maybe it's just my inability to estimate distances but that is a bit much.
    Also, I think Desmond SHOULD have gone... considering he's the one running stadiums and Charlie's a junkie hobbit.

I thought the same thing. The show has such great attention to detail, I am surprised they goofed on this one. I am fairly sure that without proper training, it is virtually impossible for someone to dive to more than about 30 meters without proper training.

-Jason "maybe depths are different on the island, the same way time is different " Evans
    High Tide/Low Tide? Global warming causing the change in depth, Volcanic activity? I doubt they would miss something like that.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention

Quote Originally Posted by jkidd31 View Post
    High Tide/Low Tide? Global warming causing the change in depth, Volcanic activity? I doubt they would miss something like that.
    We may never know the answer to this one. Like we may never know the answer to, "why don't they jut cut the line and see if the jamming stops before plunging to certain death?" or, "how come Charlie can see fine detail underwater without goggles?" ;-)

It's hard to think of a perfect explanation for the following discrepancies:

1) The distance shown on the "schematic" was 70 meters.
    2) The distance shown on TV was way less than half of that.

Random Lost Comments

Boy this season has redeemed itself, and how. No doubt in my mind that this is the best show on TV. Can't believe we'll have to wait until January to watch it again (that's an entire NFL season and 1/2 a baseball season). Some random thoughts:

1) Though Ben certainly comes across as being evil...that is still not set in stone. We don't know what the Dharma group was really all about? We don't know what happened to Annie. What we do know is that Ben and birthdays are not a great mix.

2) I'm more confused than ever about what the island is all about? How can dead people be seen? What really happened to Flight 815? How is all of this happening?

3) Agree that Richard's backstory will play out and be important.

4) The writers and producers of this have done a pretty damn good job with keeping things interesting and tying things together (not perfect - but pretty good). I also really enjoy some of the shout outs they do to other movies or stories (the Welcome to Fantasy Island with the leighs I particularly liked). Also, they put in characters just to mess with us (Locke's dad saying that this must be Hell). I hope now that they know there is an ending - they can sit down this summer and pretty much map everything out, if they haven't already.

As for next week's finale...my predictions are that Juliet is still playing them (remember the line from Ben earlier, "No matter what she tells you, she will always be one of us."), and there will definitely be a Locke sighting (likely the last cliffhanger scene). As much as I can't believe I'm about to type this - I hope Charlie survies - but I have a feeling he won't.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    We may never know the answer to this one. Like we may never know the answer to, "why don't they jut cut the line and see if the jamming stops before plunging to certain death?" or, "how come Charlie can see fine detail underwater without goggles?" ;-)

It's hard to think of a perfect explanation for the following discrepancies:

1) The distance shown on the "schematic" was 70 meters.
    2) The distance shown on TV was way less than half of that.
    I didn't see the schematics - I just judged from what I saw.

I agree - 70m dive is insane for a novice without any gear.

Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    I didn't see the schematics - I just judged from what I saw.

I agree - 70m dive is insane for a novice without any gear.

Exiled
    Novice? He was the junior swim champion of northern england!

Agreed--no way he could dive 70 meters.

The emblem on the schematics was slightly different than on the top of the looking glass (one had a watch set to 8:15, and the blck/white seemed inverted), and so it's possible that there are two of these docking stations.

That seems a stretch, so maybe they hadn't planned for anyone to have to swim it when they drew the schematics (hence the last-minute inclusion of rocks), or maybe the thing has legs that telescope up or down, or maybe it has come loose from its moorings and is floating close to the surface...