Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Are you really expecting these folks to do good, honest work?!? That's, well . . . CrazyDUMB. ;>)

(You are exactly right, but sports journalists are even lazier than normal journalists -- if that is possible).
    sports journalists and other journalists vary in quality and effort -- like members of every other profession on the planet. Throwing out a careless generalization is being intellectually lazy, which is what you're accusing them of doing.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post

And, oh, when they are low and looking to receive, look for a pass that requires an athletic catch that leads to something and take it. A pass high to the baseline and Go get it, and keep going and score the thing, dunk it, come under the rim and up, Finish it!

I want the MPs to rock the world this next game, quietly though. So the talking heads I hear in DC will keep saying that this year's Duke team ain't going anywhere. I'm psyched.

Hey, my boyz won I think what was Cornell's first NCAA game in the history. Ain't that something.

Nope, missed it. Had my first trial practicum in my training. Nailed it. Trainer said so "for where I am in my training," which is almost done, but then the training goes on after certification. So if I wasn't a fat old bald guy, in about 20 years, I'd really be able to help people. For now, it was a nice beginning and I could help you guys improve if I could figure what your patterns are and proceed accordingly, the former being harder than the latter, but that's for another time. Just couldn't help sharing that it was a great day for me.
    Is this from Gravity's Rainbow or Finnegan's Wake?

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    sports journalists and other journalists vary in quality and effort -- like members of every other profession on the planet. Throwing out a careless generalization is being intellectually lazy, which is what you're accusing them of doing.
    I'll grant that I am an intellectually lazy internet sports board poster and that they are "professional" lazy sports reporters. When someone starts paying me to spout my opinions, I would hope that I would take a more studied view of the issues.

There are clearly some folks who know what they are talking about. When Bob Knight, Jay Bilas, and a short list of others talk I know that they are speaking from experience and studied research. But it is the distinct minority.

But we can agree to disagree if you think that most sports journalists are describing the current Duke team accurately. No worries. No drama.

Quote Originally Posted by basket1544 View Post
    Thanks again, Basket.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    What time is the game on Sunday?
    Noon.

Thanks, Basket. I'm trying to find today's post-game press conference although I did find the material in that link very informative.
    Theoretically you can watch it here but I can't get it to work. I can watch Tom Izzo though.

For some reason i found it funny Andre fouled out, It just seems very unlikely

I'll grant that I am an intellectually lazy internet sports board poster and that they are "professional" lazy sports reporters. When someone starts paying me to spout my opinions, I would hope that I would take a more studied view of the issues.

There are clearly some folks who know what they are talking about. When Bob Knight, Jay Bilas, and a short list of others talk I know that they are speaking from experience and studied research. But it is the distinct minority.

But we can agree to disagree if you think that most sports journalists are describing the current Duke team accurately. No worries. No drama.
    I agree that there is a lot of uninformed "reporting" about Duke -- and college basketball in general. Most national outlets really only care about college basketball for about 4 weeks a year and that is definitely obvious if you're someone like us, who follows it year-round. So I have no problem with complaints about the poor quality of college basketball journalism at espn and the like during the tournament.

Your comments went beyond that, however, to call an entire segment of professionals, basically,"lazy and lazier."

Quote Originally Posted by Farlan View Post
    Noon.
    Is this official? I haven't seen it anywhere online. I think that the NCAA is waiting on the result of the UL-Cal game, because they may put the Duke game later in the day if they are playing Cal for the west coast audience.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by arydolphin View Post
    Is this official? I haven't seen it anywhere online. I think that the NCAA is waiting on the result of the UL-Cal game, because they may put the Duke game later in the day if they are playing Cal for the west coast audience.
    Yeah, I would be shocked if they give that game a noon start..

Smile Weekend Games

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    Yeah, I would be shocked if they give that game a noon start..
    No times up on Sunday games per ESPN and CBS Sports. Howsomever, the St. Mary's-Villanova is the national game at 1PM ET Saturday (no other games scheduled at that time). That's must-see TV.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by arydolphin View Post
    According to: http://blog.timesunion.com/sportsmed...tip-tips/3911/

12:10 (Buffalo I): Syracuse vs. Gonzaga (Gus Johnson/Len Elmore)

2:20 (Milwaukee I): Ohio State/Cal-Santa Barbara vs. Georgia Tech (Ian Eagle/Jim Spanarkel)
    2:30 (Spokane I): Michigan State vs. Maryland/Houston (Tim Brando/Mike Gminski)
    2:40 (Buffalo II): West Virginia vs. Missouri (Johnson/Elmore)
    2:50 (Jacksonville I): Wisconsin vs. Cornell (Jim Nantz/Clark Kellogg)

4:40 (Milwaukee II): Pittsburgh vs. Xavier (Eagle/Spanarkel)
    4:50 (Jacksonville II): Duke vs. California/Louisville (Nantz/Kellogg)
    5:00 (Spokane II): Purdue vs. Texas A&M (Brando/Gminski)
    Last edited by SharkD; 03-20-2010 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD View Post
    SharkD,
    Thanks for the info. Not a big surprise that Duke is in the last time slot, as a lead-in to the evening lineup on CBS since they are playing a west-coast team from the Bay Area. Syracuse-Gonzaga gets the national telecast because Syracuse is the only other #1 seed playing on Sunday. I'd imagine that the only areas in the country that would not get the Duke-Cal game would be the states of Texas, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, as well as upper Midwest markets with Purdue playing.

I think that it is deeper than lazy. I think that it has something to do with grey matter, not simply of the heads, who have little and use less, but the players who K coaches and those who populate most of the higher end teams.

K has by and large a brighter bunch of guys who rise to the challenges he presents them with. These challenges have an athletic component but it is articifical to separate that component from the grey matter component.

There is something wildly anti-smarts about the sports media heads; if you can't dunk it they can't sell it, and all they want to do is sell, sell, sell. That is what they are paid for, and that is what the average fan understands.

I was listening to a sports radio show this evening. A head admitted that he "hates" Duke but was sort of rooting for them nevertheless because of how low the ACC has sunk. Yeah, it seems real low now that the results are flowing in and the ACC is rockin and rollin but let me not digress. The guy went on to say that "Kyle Singler is the type of player I hate." Swear to G-d, the guy said that.

How can you watch basketball and appreciate the game and hate how Singler presents, shows up, and performs. How is that possible? The answer is disgusting.

Wonder what this dude would say of my boyz from Cornell should they go deep. It'd be ugly. Like I said, it already is.

I forgot to note that this is now a 30-win season.

Congrats to Coach K and his staff on another milestone.

Hopefully, we'll be celebrating a 35-win season before the middle of April.

Duke game is at approx 5:15 pm ET after Wisconsin-Cornell. Just announced on CBS

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    Is this from Gravity's Rainbow or Finnegan's Wake?
    Hahaha, hilarious.

We took care of business. I'm happy with the effort and the outcome. Now on to the next round.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    I was thinking the same thing during the game. Late in the 2nd half he made some amazing recovery plays in a little sequence there, when he knocked it away, recovered back to his man, blocked the shot attempt and ended up getting the rebound off the 2nd shot attempt. He just has a lot of ability.

I am also still expecting bigger and better things out of Miles as well. He also has good offensive skills and we are seeing a glimpse here and there. I am waiting for the pump fake from about 12 feet out and then drive for the monster dunk. It is coming soon to a court near you...
    I am looking forward to that pump fake and dunk. I am very encouraged by his shooting. His shot looks so much more comfortable than last year. I think if Mason can get more catches at 12-18 feet, he may be able to do that move as well. I also am very encouraged by how Miles, Mason and Zoubs (and actually most of our other players as well) have done a pretty good job of making interior shots very difficult for Duke's opponents lately. It seems like it is a war to get a shot off in the paint against the team on most occasions. I hope that continues.

I agree that many journalists resort to standard descriptions of the team which may or may not be accurate. I tend to cut them a bit of slack though, as I follow one team in depth and they have to do that for many. Mind you, they are getting paid for what they do...

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    The guy went on to say that "Kyle Singler is the type of player I hate." Swear to G-d, the guy said that.

How can you watch basketball and appreciate the game and hate how Singler presents, shows up, and performs. How is that possible? The answer is disgusting.

Wonder what this dude would say of my boyz from Cornell should they go deep. It'd be ugly. Like I said, it already is.
    I completely agree that I cannot imagine how you can be a basketball fan and not appreciate what Kyle does and how he plays. Mind you, I am biased and feel that way about all Duke's players.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”