Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

MBB: Duke 73, Arkansas-Pine Bluff 44 Post-Game Thread

Discuss the solid win here

Survive and advance!

Who should I be rooting for in Cal v. Louisville? I guess Cal. Although everybody seems to want this K/Pitino matchup.

Nice comfortable win. Good solid defensive effort. Jon looked solid and healthy. Another very solid game from Kyle. Loved the baby hooks from Zoubs to start the game. Solid contributions from the Plumlees, including a nice jumper from Miles and turnaround. Nice solid performance to start the tournament.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

A game where it goes down to the wire to the scores of 101 vs 100, and we winning the game with a buzzer shot would have made for a rather entertaining game.

good game...

NEXT!!

lance looked great...hope he continues to feel confident about scoring...

Workmanlike- Good use of the big guys- everyone got good minutes- Nolan finally found his range- Singler likes the arena- Zoubek has a nice hook. Except for a few freshman errors- about everything one could want in a first round game.

I was pleased with our performance. Given the choice between this game and the one-point buzzer-beater type, I much prefer this one. I doubt my heart could take another Belmont-type game again in the first round.

It appeared as though Jon just let the game come to him, with good results.

Lance as another scoring option out there? That would work well. Nolan finally got some shots to drop at the end and our rebounding was great (though that's obviously tempered by our opposition). Bring on the next opponent....

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    A game where it goes down to the wire to the scores of 101 vs 100, and we winning the game with a buzzer shot would have made for a rather entertaining game.
    Not when the team your playin against is the #16 team in the tourny. That's would mean Duke has a lot of problems we still need to work on.

But if that's how the Duke vs. Kansas matchup ends in the NC game, i'm all for it.

Really pleased with this win. So many good things to take away from it. I feel like we really made an effort to get the frontcourt into the game and they responded well. LT had an extra nice game, Z played pretty well too, but the MPs came through in a big way with 15 rebs, a few points, some blocks, some steals, just thoroughly effective without making mistakes and without stepping out of their comfort zones. I would like to see them hit their freebies at a better rate though. Ryan Kelly also did some nice things on the court. Andre Dawkins seemed like he was pushing himself too much, fouling out without really doing too much positively.
    Kyle played a great game, Jon also had a masterfully efficient game. Nolan struggled with his shot early but ended up having a positive effect on the game...

No offense to Lance b/c he is a good player but any game where he dominates on offense just means the opponent isn't good inside.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I for one, loved how we looked as a team. The guys looked fresh and comfortable, but also determined and business like. They were clearly on a mission to take care of business and not take the lesser opponent for granted. Very good start to the journey.

I liked the aggressive way we attacked the basket early and often, going inside to Zoubs, LT, and Kyle. Most all of the 3's were taken in rythym and the guys shot the ball well.

Defense was great, and both Miles and Mason had solid games. Andre was a little over zealous with his driving which got him in foul trouble, and his D was not where it has been lately, but that is ok. 1st game jitters for the young man.

All in all, you could not ask for a better start. The guys look poised and ready to meet the challenges this tourney will bring.

Let's Go Duke!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    No offense to Lance b/c he is a good player but any game where he dominates on offense just means the opponent isn't good inside.
    Probably true but Lance can play D even against some quality players. That is what he is needed for. Nice for him to have a good tourney game.

A fairly satisfying night for us. Great to see Lance and Zoubs with some offense. Sadly, a tragic night for Andre. Was hoping Mason would be able to score a few baskets against this level of competition. Singler was sensational.
    We will need more production from the bench to advance very far.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnolia888 View Post
    Survive and advance!

Who should I be rooting for in Cal v. Louisville? I guess Cal. Although everybody seems to want this K/Pitino matchup.
    I'm pulling for Cal because of Boykin. And because I want no part of a K/Pitino, Duke/L'ville circus in the second round. There is plenty of time for things to get crazy. That said, I think there is a good chance the Cardinals are tanked already after that big win over syracuse to close Freedom Hall. They didn't do anything in the Big East tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by 60's Devil View Post
    A fairly satisfying night for us. Great to see Lance and Zoubs with some offense. Sadly, a tragic night for Andre. Was hoping Mason would be able to score a few baskets against this level of competition. Singler was sensational.
    We will need more production from the bench to advance very far.
    Tragic? I turned away in the last few minutes, did something happen to him?

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    Tragic? I turned away in the last few minutes, did something happen to him?
    Nah, he just fouled out.

A lot of burn for the bench tonight. APB fouled a lot. Scheyer shot well. Nolan didn't but did get it going late. I think everyone had a good game and they'll have some confidence to carry over to Sunday.

APB played hard and never quit. Hats off to them.

Duke shot over 50% and 67.9% from the foul line. 14 turn overs, bleck!

Nice win. I think Duke passed the eye test even with all of the bench players getting a lot of minutes and the offense going through LT early on. He did well. I'll take 19 points from LT and Z all tournament long.

Now on to the next round!

did anyone else notice around the 13:30ish mark of the 2nd half nolan drove, fell, and appeared to tweak either an ankle or calf. I saw him reach for it and get up gingerly. You had to really be paying attention to see it because the camera cut away quickly. He did seem fine though after that play. Hopefully whatever happened was minor and it doesn't stiffen or swell on him.

Nolan Smith had 5 assists to 1 turnover, which is pretty awesome.