Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trouble for Capel

Report: OU's Gallon took money from agent

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...eadlines;other

Oklahoma freshman Keith "Tiny" Gallon received a $3,000 wire transfer from a sports agent before the start of the season, according to a TMZ.com story filed early Thursday
    Calipari is probably laughing. He'll tell his guys that WWW pays ten times that.

As much as I'd like to see Calipari go down in flames, I wish the NCAA would remove the stick from our collective [insert wanker filter] already. Only in America -- world leader in free market capitalism -- is it considered a bad thing for talented young men to make a living doing something they love.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Berg View Post
    As much as I'd like to see Calipari go down in flames, I wish the NCAA would remove the stick from our collective [insert wanker filter] already. Only in America -- world leader in free market capitalism -- is it considered a bad thing for talented young men to make a living doing something they love.
    It's ironic that you mention capitalism. That's why the system is in place. Please register your complaints here .
    Last edited by El_Diablo; 03-18-2010 at 05:44 PM.

Really? He'll have plenty of time to do that when/if he is in the pros whether it be in the NBA, Europe, Asia or wherever. The fact is, by taking money from an agent, he forfeited his amateur status and his right to play college basketball. End of story. It's no different for any of the other 1,000+ college basketball players across the country. Just because you get to play for Oklahoma rather than East Tennessee St. it does not give you the right to profit from it. Playing D1 college basketball is a privilege and he tried taking advantage of it. I hope he and they get what's coming.

Very sorry to hear this

Wire transfer

I am amazed about how brazen (or dumb, I'm not sure which) the agents are getting now that they are sending wire transfers to players.

We have gone from under the table payments to over the table payments.

I kind of thought that the tuition, meal passes, free room and board, books, etc... (i.e., free education) counted as compensation. All the non-scholarships students have to pay their way through school. I shed no tears for these kids getting to play a game they love and get an education for doing it. They are blessed and are fortunate like all of us to live in this country.
    Last edited by oldnavy; 03-18-2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: typo's

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    I kind of thought that the tuition, meal passes, free room and board, books, etc... (i.e., free education) counted as compensation. All the non-scholarships students have to pay their way through school. I shed no tears for these kids getting to play a game they love and get an education for doing it. They are blessed and are fortunate like all of us to live in this country.
    I totally agree! I received a college scholarship for basketball (ah, the golden years) and had a $25,000/year education paid for and my meals, books, room/board, food were paid for. That also included basketball/running sneakers, practice gear, sweat suits, jackets, and the $15/day we got over winter break for meals since all the university stores were closed. The only thing I had to pay for in my 4 years was my phone and cable bill and I was at LOW D1 school.

I consider myself EXTREMELY fortunate today as I don't have student loans to pay back for the rest of my life and I was able to get myself started on the right foot. The way I see it, I was paid to play ball in college!

These kids/agents are just idiots for jeopardizing their playing status! Wait a few years and if you're good enough, you'll get paid your dues in the NBA!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    ... I was at LOW D1 school. ...
    You went to unc?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    You went to unc?
    That's just mean!

You went to unc?
    HAHA - I didn't say CLASSLESS!

I went to LaSalle...in my eyes, that's the lower end of the D1 spectrum.

HAHA - I didn't say CLASSLESS!

I went to LaSalle...in my eyes, that's the lower end of the D1 spectrum.
    Classless? You mean like John Wall's second semester at UK?

No, you probably had to go to class at LaSalle.

I am as critical of the NCAA and the system of for profit big time college athletics as the next person and I believe so called amateurism in American sport is a complete and total crock. But it isn't as if the athletes don't know the deal going in. You can't take money. Plain and simple.

This can all be solved with the NBA creating a legitimate minor league the way baseball and hockey have. The day the NBA steps up and creates a way for young men who are talented enough but not quite ready to play and learn the game while making a decent salary will be a good day.

Classless? You mean like John Wall's second semester at UK?

No, you probably had to go to class at LaSalle.
    Psh, I thought that was Kentucky's WHOLE TEAM!

Yea, classes at LaSalle were a must and it's not like leaving early for pro ball for us ladies is/was an option (and def. not any player going to LaSalle - haha).

The NBA is a for-profit monopoly. It has its own motives, which quite understandably diverge from what we'd consider to be best for young athletes and/or the sport.

Luckily, we already have another organization whose self-appointed mission is to promote the welfare of student-athletes. Consequently, whatever archaic rules & red tape those athletes encounter can & should be laid directly at the NCAA's feet.* They're the direct cause of "incidents" like Gallon's. I don't see any reason to apologize for them.

*exception: the 5 or so players who would be drafted straight from high school were it not for the NBA's one-and-done rule. That's not the NCAA's fault. But whatever you think of the Derrick Rose / Greg Oden / etc situation -- I don't like it either -- it's utterly insignificant compared with what the NCAA imposes on tens of thousands of their peers.

looks like tiny is the one who made the mistakes here. hopefully this doesn't turn into something messy like quinn snyder's exit from mizzou.

Quote Originally Posted by Spret42 View Post
    I am as critical of the NCAA and the system of for profit big time college athletics as the next person and I believe so called amateurism in American sport is a complete and total crock. But it isn't as if the athletes don't know the deal going in. You can't take money. Plain and simple.

This can all be solved with the NBA creating a legitimate minor league the way baseball and hockey have. The day the NBA steps up and creates a way for young men who are talented enough but not quite ready to play and learn the game while making a decent salary will be a good day.
    you need to do some fact checking!

please do me a favor and take a look at this page

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaah...nd%20Finances/

it seems to indicated that several hundred million dollars a year....in fact most of the NCAA's total income, is redistributed back to member institutions....

ANYWAY, there was about 37 million in reserve out of a 710 million dollar budget...you could call this 'profit' if you wanted...because it kinda is...so theres about 380,000 NCAA athletes....so we'll say 38 million dollars to split...that leaves a whopping 100 dollars per athlete!

tell the NCAA fat cats its time to pay the piper!

i think jon scheyer will be overjoyed to get his franklin in the mail!
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    I am amazed about how brazen (or dumb, I'm not sure which) the agents are getting now that they are sending wire transfers to players.

We have gone from under the table payments to over the table payments.
    You have to remember that these guys could care less about college basketball and whether the players get suspended or not. The sooner Tiny Gallon is in the NBA (or even Europe or NBDL) the sooner the agent gets a cut.

The business plan of these guys that are preying on high school kids is to get these guys a contract as soon as possible so they can get a cut. You are also right that some of the agents are just dumb, too. They see a kid like Tiny Gallon dominate his high school, they sidle up to him, give him money in return for promised return, not even realizing that the kid isn't really that good.

There is also a little bit of "throw a bunch of money against a wall and see what sticks," because the big payouts will make up for the losses. It's sad for the kids.

Okay, okay. But let's forget the theory. What does this mean for Capel?

Some Trivia

Psh, I thought that was Kentucky's WHOLE TEAM!

Yea, classes at LaSalle were a must and it's not like leaving early for pro ball for us ladies is/was an option (and def. not any player going to LaSalle - haha).
    LaSalle has one win in the NCAA Tournament, ever: Over Connecticut, in 1989.