Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Chris Collins on short list for Seton Hall Head Coaching Job

http://blogs.mycentraljersey.com/hoopshaven/

Great opportunity for him there.

next?

If he leaves... long shot here... but Jay Williams could come coach. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    http://blogs.mycentraljersey.com/hoopshaven/

Great opportunity for him there.
    I wonder if Seton Hall is at all gunshy about hiring another Duke assistant after the experience with Amaker.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by slinnartz View Post
    Chris Carrawell would just move over a few seats.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Chris Carrawell would just move over a few seats.

Yep. As much as I would love to see Jay on Duke's bench alongside Coach K I have a feeling we're at least a few year's away from that. That would be a slap in Chris' face IMO if we were to bring Jay in from ESPN out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by slinnartz View Post
    Great, i can see him bringing in a massive amount of great recruits. And hopefully he's really good at coaching guards.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Regardless of who fills his shoes at Duke, best of luck to Collins if it happens.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I wonder if Seton Hall is at all gunshy about hiring another Duke assistant after the experience with Amaker.
    From this ESPN article

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5003199

"I had an unusual relationship with Coach Gonzalez," longtime St. Anthony coach Bob Hurley said Wednesday. "There never really was a comfort zone.

"I had a comfort zone with Seton Hall, sending many players there in the past, but not recently. Whoever gets the job will personality-wise be different than Coach Gonzalez. I would consider sending our players there."

Isn't this St. Anthony coach Bobby Hurley's dad? Maybe the Duke connection can work out...

Chris and Wojo are both ready to head their own teams. I know that this is not really on the radar for now, but are we grooming a successor for K? Is it Wojo? It seems that K has at least 5-7 years left but it would be hard to keep either Collins or Wojo that long.

At the same time, I wouldn't ever want a Bobby Bowden-like situation to develop with the man who had made Duke basketball great. Anyone have thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by HRAR View Post
    Chris and Wojo are both ready to head their own teams. I know that this is not really on the radar for now, but are we grooming a successor for K? Is it Wojo? It seems that K has at least 5-7 years left but it would be hard to keep either Collins or Wojo that long.

At the same time, I wouldn't ever want a Bobby Bowden-like situation to develop with the man who had made Duke basketball great. Anyone have thoughts?
    Whoever succeeds K needs to have run his own program for a few years, and been successful at it. That's one reason why Johnny Dawkins finally took the Stanford job. It's time for Chris and Wojo (one at a time - not both this year) to stretch their wings a bit and see what's it's like out in the real world. I expect they will both be excellent as head coaches.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I think it's great that Collings gets mentioned for the SH job, though I'd think he'd turn it down. Seems to me that it'd be preferable to wait for an opportunity where he can legitimately say to a high school prospect, "this is the best university in the world for you, and I see myself staying for a long time." I don't think he'd think SH was a great college environment or that he would stay if, say, a Big Ten or ACC school offered him a job. When thinking about fits, I'd think our other coaches could make the above claim (great school; I'm sticking) almost always: Dawkins when he went to Stanford, Brey to Notre Dame; Snyder to Washington, Capel to Oklahoma, or Amaker when he went to Michigan or Harvard; those are great college environments where virtually any student-athlete is going to be adequately challenged and welcomed, and there are at least 50 others that are better at combining bball, academics, and a campus feeling than Seton Hall. There is no particular reason why he wouldn't be in line for one of the great openings when they open up, and it's not like the Collins family is destitute or desperate.

In light of Nate James' recent success in the recruiting realm, I relish the opportunity for Chris Carrawell to get into the fold. Duke's recruiting success will skyrocket with yet another player in which these elite recruits can relate.

Here's to hoping Chris gets the job and enjoys tremendous success...

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I think it's great that Collins gets mentioned for the SH job, though I'd think he'd turn it down. ... There is no particular reason why he wouldn't be in line for one of the great openings when they open up, and it's not like the Collins family is destitute or desperate.
    I am sure Tommy has talked to Chris about the SH job, and would help Chris outline a very detailed list of "demands" (requirements?) for him to take the job.

I don't recall too many St Anthony's players coming to Duke. Bobby Hurley and Roshown McLeod are the only ones I remember. So it is not like there is the Hurley/Duke pipeline to rely upon. However, there is a respect that might help get past the Gonzo fiasco.

The big attraction is that THREE powerhouse prep schools, St Anthony's, St Patrick's and Saint Benedict's, are all within a few miles of the Catholic University that is Seton Hall. Two are coached by Hurleys. Handled correctly, it is fertile recruiting grounds.

I also believe that Chris is a very motivated man who wants to prove himself as a head coach. Johnny was a bit more laid back professionally as he had had success on the professional level as a player, and was willing to pass on good (rather than great) opportunities so he could spend more time with his young family. I think Chris will consider this seriously. How many better coaching jobs open up each year? If he does well at SH, he will be a candidate for the top line jobs should any open. I consider this to be at least on a par with Oklahoma.

While folks are helping Chris pack his bags for SH, why would some assume that he wouldn't take Nate or Carrawell along with him to round out his staff?

If its offered to somone on the Duke staff and accepted, its likely to leave more than one ripple.

just saying..

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I am sure Tommy has talked to Chris about the SH job, and would help Chris outline a very detailed list of "demands" (requirements?) for him to take the job.
    Don't forget that Chris Collins worked at Seton Hall for two years as Tommy's assistant. Probably a plus for his consideration by the Pirates, and good background for his decision making.

While I know Chris has to finally branch out at some point and build his own legacy at his own program, I will be saddened to see him leave (even knowing he may return to Durham one day). I love the passion he brings to this program, and watching the emotion he displays on the bench during our big games. It breathes everything that's good about this place.

Duke, baby. There's nothing like it.

Probably not...

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    While folks are helping Chris pack his bags for SH, why would some assume that he wouldn't take Nate or Carrawell along with him to round out his staff?

If its offered to somone on the Duke staff and accepted, its likely to leave more than one ripple.

just saying..
    Hi,

Why would one of those guys want to leave? It is one thing to be named head coach and another an assistant. I could see Chris leaving, but not those other guys. They are starting out their careers and they are learning at Duke, I think that is better than taking a risk with Chris (no offense Chris) at Seton Hall where he could be fired in a couple of years.

GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post

just saying..
    And JD, moving to foreign territory (for him, not for me) on the West Coast took a while to put his staff together. First time coach, first time putting a staff together. Not an easy task.

But, FWIW, when Tommy went to Seton Hall, his principal assistant was -- Chris Collins. So Chris already knows the territory -- well, he might be a little out of date, but it shouldn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    In light of Nate James' recent success in the recruiting realm, I relish the opportunity for Chris Carrawell to get into the fold. Duke's recruiting success will skyrocket with yet another player in which these elite recruits can relate.

Here's to hoping Chris gets the job and enjoys tremendous success...
    I'm guessing you don't know how many of our recent recruits Chris has brought into the program.

They might want to leave

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

Why would one of those guys want to leave? It is one thing to be named head coach and another an assistant. I could see Chris leaving, but not those other guys. They are starting out their careers and they are learning at Duke, I think that is better than taking a risk with Chris (no offense Chris) at Seton Hall where he could be fired in a couple of years.

GO DUKE!
    If they perceive that the skids are being greased for Chris Spatola. It would be in keeping with the transformation of Duke basketball as the Kzryzewski family business.