Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MBB: Arkansas-Pine Bluff 61, Winthrop 44

Thoughts on the play-in game to determine Duke's upcoming opponent here.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

4 minutes is not a lot of basketball to extrapolate from, but I think either of these teams would have a very, very hard time scoring against us.

I see from a brief look at Kenpom that my 4 minute observation is consistent with a season's worth of data:

Winthrop - 92.8 points per 100 possessions, ranked 307th in the country
    Ark-PB - 93.4 points per 100 possessions, ranked 302nd in the country

typically i root for the team with the best player name when i don't know them. it's a tough call between mantoris and lebaron

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    typically i root for the team with the best player name when i don't know them. it's a tough call between mantoris and lebaron
    Gotta go with Mantoris there, I think.

Neither of these teams shoot very well. I think they'd both have a hard time scoring 60 points against us.

APB's offense seems to consist of clearing out the paint to let someone try to drive on his defender. Help-side defense should really make it difficult for them to score, and in a pinch "Orange" would shut them down.

Winthrop, on the other hand, looks like the have trouble driving, but their passes are not crisp and passing lanes are not open.

I'm encouraged by this game.

A dash pee bee
    who the **** you come to see?
    pee bee ************!
    pee bee ************!

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    I'm encouraged by this game.
    Were you worried before?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Were you worried before?
    Yeah, there's a reason why a #16 has never beaten a #1. And these teams were considered the two worst in the field (the worst of the 16s). Obviously anything could happen. But we're going to be HEAVILY favored on Friday.

It looks as though both teams would allow us to shoot unmolested threes. And if we miss, we have some pretty fair rebounders. Maybe, as a previous poster suggested, we can rest some players in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Were you worried before?

I think cavlaw is encouraged because it appears Duke can give the starters some rest playing either team. I do not want to have a game like Duke had against Belmont. Down to the wire, last game of the night then play the early 2nd round game against WVU.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    I think cavlaw is encouraged because it appears Duke can give the starters some rest playing either team. I do not want to have a game like Duke had against Belmont. Down to the wire, last game of the night then play the early 2nd round game against WVU.
    Neither of these teams is Belmont. Both are below 200 in the Pomeroy Rankings. We've played 4 200+ teams this year:

UNCG: 96-62
    Radford: 104-67
    Gardner-Webb: 113-68
    Penn: 114-55

We scored 141.86 points per 100 possessions against such opponents, and allowed 83.72.

I'm not saying the team shouldn't take them seriously. But I'm saying we should expect a 25+ point win. I'm also saying that we could have a complete and utter offensive meltdown, play average defense (by our standards) and win by 10+.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    I'm encouraged because after the ACCT I'd like to see Duke have dominant performance to boost the team's confidence going into what could be a tight second-round game.

I don't think APB can defend Duke, and despite APB's rebounding advantage over their major conference foes in the early season I don't think they will beat out our bigs on the boards. APB's offense is also anemic, which I think is important because Duke's shooting didn't look terrific in the ACCT, and if Duke starts out cold against APB our guys can shoot their way out of it without a risk of the game getting away from them. I want the team comfortable with the rims before playing Louiville or Cal.

Watched most of the game

Arkansas PB is a small quick team that applies a lot of defensive pressure and moves fresh bodies in regularly. They can press a little and switched from man to man to zone in the halfcourt and gave Winthrop a lot of looks. They also tend to crash the boards at time.

They they don't seem confident shooting the ball from outside nor are their guards great at breaking the defense down. My view is that they will have trouble scoring against us and we should also have a significant rebounding advantage. One issue for us will be the amount of defensive pressure which might be quite tiring and might also force some turnovers.

I recommend not pressing them and just play our normal half court defense.

Let's get ready for the golden lions! We once beat the golden saluki's. I wonder what our record is versus "golden" teams? Must google ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Let's get ready for the golden lions! We once beat the golden saluki's. I wonder what our record is versus "golden" teams? Must google ...
    Who in the world are the Golden Salukis? Not Southern Illinois (at least not anymore).

Tulsa used to be the Golden Hurricanes - is that still the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    I don't remember losing to Marquette since they've been the Golden Eagles.

Have we ever played Minnesota under K? Can't recall a game. Of course we've played in Minnesota, with very happy results.

Kent State is the Golden Flash, but I don't remember any games against them, either.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    I don't remember losing to Marquette since they've been the Golden Eagles.

Have we ever played Minnesota under K? Can't recall a game. Of course we've played in Minnesota, with very happy results.

Kent State is the Golden Flash, but I don't remember any games against them, either.
    We played and lost to Marquette in the fall of 2006 in the CBE tournament finals. We played and beat Kent State in the fall of 2006 in Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by 91devil View Post
    Neither of these teams shoot very well. I think they'd both have a hard time scoring 60 points against us.
    Well, a lot of teams have trouble scoring 60 against us. We've held 17 of our 34 opponents to under 60 and 26 of our 34 opponents below 70.

Considering that these teams are in the 300s in terms of offensive efficiency, I'd hope we'd hold them to below 60.