ACC and NCAA Selection

I know that the "expert talking heads" use RPI numbers and SOS numbers, but how does Wake or Clemson who both lost to VT get in ahead of VT.

I won't lose sleep over this (Seth Greenburg will ) but don't they even look at the head to head matchups?

They should, and do, look at head to head matchups. They also look at overall schedule. Wake has nonconference wins over Gonzaga, Richmond, and Xavier, all of whom made the field, and a victory against Maryland. Clemson is 30ish in the RPI.

For the record I do think VT should have been included this year. But the committee also has sent a clear signal that strength of schedule, particularly who you play out of conference, matters. Seth Greenberg continues to schedule awful teams out of conference and year after year is on the "snub" list. Einstein's definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results.

I think VT clearly played a schedule much much tougher than a team like Utah State so I don't know what the actual criteria is:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...s/uaf/schedule

This is ridiculous. VT finished 3RD in the ACC, and doesnt get a bid, but their lesser conference-mates do. Thats insane. It would be like including Notre Dame but leaving off Villanova or Pitt.

The unbalanced conference schedule left VT with the worst possible strength of schedule. They played the bottom 5 teams in the ACC 2x each and the top 6 teams (aside from themselves) once each. They only have 3 wins over NCAA tournament teams (Clemson, Wake, and GT).

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarz View Post
    The unbalanced conference schedule left VT with the worst possible strength of schedule. They played the bottom 5 teams in the ACC 2x each and the top 6 teams (aside from themselves) once each. They only have 3 wins over NCAA tournament teams (Clemson, Wake, and GT).
    This. Exactly.

Clemson finished 9-7 against a significantly tougher un-balanced ACC schedule. Clemson also tested itself OOC and managed to win (what is in retrospect) a huge neutral court game against Butler.

VaTech had every opportunity to secure its fate on Friday. They didn't do it. I'm not crying for Seth Greenberg or VaTech. I'm not sure how many times you have to be taught the same lesson before you actually start paying attention to it.

Klem

Quote Originally Posted by Klemnop View Post
    VaTech had every opportunity to secure its fate on Friday. They didn't do it. I'm not crying for Seth Greenberg or VaTech.
    I have to agree with this 100%. Bilas was right. Every team who is now complaining about being left out had a chance in the last 2 weeks of the season to secure their fate, and didn't. If VaTech makes it to Saturday in the ACC, they're probably in. They didn't. Everything else is semantics.

-c

I do agree that Virginia Tech should have been in the field this year over, say, a Wake Forest or Utah State. I do want to point out, though, that Seth Greenberg was really classy in his interview with ESPN shortly after discovering his team's fate. I have been an open critic of Greenberg's antics, as well as those of his players, but he handled himself really well in that interview, and earned himself some respect.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I have to respectfully disagree. Va Tech should have gotten in. They deserved it over Florida and Utah St for sure. They did not get to pick their ACC Schedule. Plus the bottom half of the ACC is much stronger than other conferences this year.

If they did not want to take 7 ACC teams, then Wake should have drawn the short straw. I agree with Clemson getting in. Whether you like Seth and his team or not is irrelevant. They deserved to be in.

Finally found where the weather suits my clothes – and settled down in Brentwood, CA

Not feeling sorry for Greenburg; he should have learned by now

Quote Originally Posted by taiw93 View Post
    I do agree that Virginia Tech should have been in the field this year over, say, a Wake Forest or Utah State. I do want to point out, though, that Seth Greenberg was really classy in his interview with ESPN shortly after discovering his team's fate. I have been an open critic of Greenberg's antics, as well as those of his players, but he handled himself really well in that interview, and earned himself some respect.
    He should be able to do well in these interviews...he's had plenty of practice the last few years! Too bad he hasn't learned how to schedule tougher teams so we don't have to hear him do these interviews year in and year out.

Grey Devil