Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Ga Tech Players Whining About Refs

I live in Greensboro and in our paper today, the main write-up about yesterday's ACC Championship game was all about how Duke basically stole the game with a lot of help from the refs. D'Andre Bell and Favors were both quoted as saying basically that they thought they'd played great defense and "the refs bailed them (Duke) out".

I was at the game, I had a great view of the court, and GT is full of it. The reason Duke went to the line so much is because THEY put us there. Yes, they played some good "D" and sure, there were probably some questionable calls, as always, but I cannot believe that the players were whining about it like that. I complain about the refs - a lot sometimes - but I'm a fan. If I were Hewitt, I'd be embarrassed and tell my guys to shut the h*ll up!

The author of the article is someone who's name I don't recognize and under the by-line it says, "Special to the News & Record". From the overall tone of the piece, I'm assuming he's an Atlanta-based writer, but he clearly had an agenda for the article and sought out quotes to support his bias. It happens. Whatever. But, any thoughts I had of pulling for GT in the NCAA's are gone. I hope those punks lose their first game!

Well, that is unfortunate, but it is what it is..
    They are young and have a right to be disappointed and mope about it if they want to... I don't begrudge them.

With UNC out, I can honestly say, I hope every team in the ACC has a nice run and takes some folks out.

The ACC has had an odd year. Not many ranked teams, The tourney winner and Season champ gets respect with a high seed... otherwise not much respect, so

I'd like to see strong showings from our ACC brethren.

I could watch this 100 times

http://www.twitvid.com/BFF28

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    I live in Greensboro and in our paper today, the main write-up about yesterday's ACC Championship game was all about how Duke basically stole the game with a lot of help from the refs. D'Andre Bell and Favors were both quoted as saying basically that they thought they'd played great defense and "the refs bailed them (Duke) out".

I was at the game, I had a great view of the court, and GT is full of it. The reason Duke went to the line so much is because THEY put us there. Yes, they played some good "D" and sure, there were probably some questionable calls, as always, but I cannot believe that the players were whining about it like that. I complain about the refs - a lot sometimes - but I'm a fan. If I were Hewitt, I'd be embarrassed and tell my guys to shut the h*ll up!

The author of the article is someone who's name I don't recognize and under the by-line it says, "Special to the News & Record". From the overall tone of the piece, I'm assuming he's an Atlanta-based writer, but he clearly had an agenda for the article and sought out quotes to support his bias. It happens. Whatever. But, any thoughts I had of pulling for GT in the NCAA's are gone. I hope those punks lose their first game!
    http://www.news-record.com/content/2...to_blue_devils

Here's the article.

I like the reader comments at the end of the article.

In recent years, the rest of the conference besides the big 2 (us and the holes) hasn't fared that well in the NCAAs. Maryland won it all in '02, and as I recall, Tech made the finals in '04 (promptly dispatched by UConn) and that's about it. All the other teams have been mostly one-and-done with a few somehow surviving into the sweet 16. Overall, the ACC has not done much to prove recently that we're the best conference. It would be nice to see the other teams make our season look a little better by winning a few NCAA games; but right now, I'm not counting on it.

Favors: stomp stomp whine, go hide in bedroom and pout. Is he hoping the NBA will be kinder and gentler towards his bruised feelings?

I was just remembering that sweetheart butterfly kiss high off the backboard shot of Nolan's late in the 2nd half. After seeing that all season from behind the backboard, seeing it in Gboro from midcourt, it is simply breathtaking.
    Nolan has developed an incredible ability there, such finesse. It barely grazes the glass and goes in with a whisper. w-o-w.

The foul totals were 20 for GT and 17 for Duke and GT fouled at the end! Where is the problem?

You may recall that Nolan Smith scored 11 of Duke's first 15 points, before going to the bench in the middle of the first half with two fouls.

The day before, against Miami, both Smith and Scheyer had two fouls by the middle of the first half.

Then, there was that bizarre sequence against GT when Lance Thomas picked up three fouls in one possession. I wonder how he felt about that? But somehow, it didn't seem to occur to any of the numerous writers in Greensboro to frame an article about that.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    You may recall that Nolan Smith scored 11 of Duke's first 15 points, before going to the bench in the middle of the first half with two fouls.

The day before, against Miami, both Smith and Scheyer had two fouls by the middle of the first half.

Then, there was that bizarre sequence against GT when Lance Thomas picked up three fouls in one possession. I wonder how he felt about that? But somehow, it didn't seem to occur to any of the numerous writers in Greensboro to frame an article about that.
    Jim,
    Thanks for your daily write ups on the tourney. They were great and I enjoyed reading them. Regarding LT, wasn't the 3 fouls on one possession in the Miami game? I thought it was. And the 3rd foul was definitely a charge against the Miami player. LT got jobbed on that one.

I too hate to see the whining about the refs. That is normal from Hewitt though, so don't blame the kids, they likely got it from their coach. Hewitt complained wildly about the 5th foul on Oliver against Zoub's and felt that Zoub's travelled on the play. The replay clearly showed the ref got it right. The pivot foot never moved on the pumpfake. On the ensuing Tech possession, there was a foul and then the Zoub's elbow against Peacock jaw and Hewitt was screaming for a foul call on that as well. I really think Hewitt would have gotten T'd up had it not been the title game..

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

That's YOUR problem, Jim. You confuse facts with myths WAY too often.

Boozer's right about LT. Three fouls in 15 seconds against Miami.

He did have two fouls in one possession against GT.

DVR Alert

ESPNU is re-airing the ACC Title Game, Wednesday June 23rd, at 6:30 p.m. It is an edited, hour and a half version of the game. Relive Andre's first half monster dunk and Scheyer's clutch 3 at the end of the game!