Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Nate James Appreciation Thread

I have read on several of the recruiting threads that Nate James has been involved in finding several of the recruits that Duke has landed (Gbinije) or is trying to land.

If any of these players are like Nate James on the court Duke fans will be very happy.

(This is not a slight to Wojo or Chris who are also finding good kids, just a thank you to Nate.)

I don't think Nate "found" these kids as plenty of other major schools were competing for his services. I think we should celebrate that he seems to be able to draw these recruits toward Duke in such a convincing manner. Hopefully it isn't just coincidence and he can continue to be a major recruiter for us. Keep up the good work Nate!
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

The phrase 'balls to the wall' was originally conceived to describe Nate James entering any recruit's home smaller than an aircraft hangar.

Thank you, Mr. Badass!

Will be interesting to see how NateDog affects Duke's recruiting going forward as I think he brings a "toughness", "swagger" and "street cred" to the program that has been lacking of late. Also, he brings a "connection point" now to those African-American recruits that has been lacking since Johnny D left. Given the negative impact of how Duke LAX indirectly affected Duke overall and how the program has been stereotyped as being too "white" of late, the impact that NateDog could bring should not be underestimated. I understand that this year's class coming in will be all African-American but the stereotype of the Duke program does exist. I know this is a sensitive subject but one that we cannot pretend doesn't exist. NateDog regardless of skin color is a great representative of the team and the program and looks like he will be a tremendous asset to the program.

On a related matter, what is Carrawell's role in the program and what impact, if any, do those "in the know" feel he will also have on the program relating to those they recruit?

Nate James will only bring the toughest players to Duke.

Any recruit without the utmost courage will simply flee in terror when the Baddest of Badasses enters his home. The thought of practicing and playing in front of Nate James will send all but the bravest and most confident players to their knees in terror. Only those with the heart of a lion will be able to look him in the eye and shake his hand. Do you think "Soft as Charmin" Ed Davis or John "Thin"son would have had the courage or heart to stand in the presence of Nate James? He is the recruiter who will make sure no lilly-livered prima donnas will ever don the Duke uniform.

Real men will die to play for him.

The rest will go to Carolina.

Kudos to Nate. I'm very happy he is on the staff.

I don't think we should underestimate the value of Roy Williams's coaching this year in steering potential recruits to Duke.

Nate James doesn't recruit. He just stands near them until they say yes.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Kudos to Nate. I'm very happy he is on the staff.

I don't think we should underestimate the value of Roy Williams's coaching this year in steering potential recruits to Duke.
    I don't think we should underestimate the Nate James stare as a catalyst for the performance of unc this year.

When Bruce Banner gets mad, he turns into the hulk. When the hulk gets mad he turns into Nate James.

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas. Chuck Norris wears Nate James pajamas.

Nate James CAN believe it's not butter.

Nate James CAN touch MC Hammer.

Seriously, he has been involved in some great recruiting. What an asset!

Is he Coach K's "heir" to taking over this Duke basketball program once Coach K retires?

Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    Is he Coach K's "heir" to taking over this Duke basketball program once Coach K retires?
    Weall appreciate Nate, but I think that's taking it way too far. Chris and Wojo are both titled "associate head coach" where Nate is still working his way up as an "assistant." The former have both worked with the Olympic team and Nate has not yet had that opportunity. I'm not saying that he doesn't have the talent or drive for the job... just that it's way too early to put that kind of title on him.

But... way to make a splash, Nate!

Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    I have to agree this is taking it a bit too far. I have to hope that Johnny Dawkins is still the lead candidate for the job...assuming his performance at Stanford legitimizes it. Don't overlook Amaker, either. He's doing well at Harvard. As premature (i hope) as this conversation is, Wojo or Collins becoming head coach would be disastrous, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDukie View Post
    Will be interesting to see how NateDog affects Duke's recruiting going forward as I think he brings a "toughness", "swagger" and "street cred" to the program that has been lacking of late. Also, he brings a "connection point" now to those African-American recruits that has been lacking since Johnny D left. Given the negative impact of how Duke LAX indirectly affected Duke overall and how the program has been stereotyped as being too "white" of late, the impact that NateDog could bring should not be underestimated. I understand that this year's class coming in will be all African-American but the stereotype of the Duke program does exist. I know this is a sensitive subject but one that we cannot pretend doesn't exist. NateDog regardless of skin color is a great representative of the team and the program and looks like he will be a tremendous asset to the program.

On a related matter, what is Carrawell's role in the program and what impact, if any, do those "in the know" feel he will also have on the program relating to those they recruit?
    Having played alot of street ball in both LA and DC in my younger years, I say excellent and very realistic post!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    I have to agree this is taking it a bit too far. I have to hope that Johnny Dawkins is still the lead candidate for the job...assuming his performance at Stanford legitimizes it. Don't overlook Amaker, either. He's doing well at Harvard. As premature (i hope) as this conversation is, Wojo or Collins becoming head coach would be disastrous, IMO.
    I think after looking at what happened down the road, I think it would be wise, whenever this happens to hire someone with significant head coaching experience. I agree that if it happened sooner rather than later, Johnny Dawkins might be the guy, but there could be as many as 10-12 years until this happens so you never know. Either way, after having the exact same coaching staff for about a decade, I think that Nate James has provided a fresh look for us.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    Don't see Amaker having any shot at being Duke's coach when Coach K retires. Had 1 good year at Seton Hall and then did nothing at Michigan. It could be Dawkins but like you said he has to have success at Stanford. I disagree that Collins and Wojo would be disasters. Replacement talk is still probably 10+ years away and Nate and who knows maybe Carrawell could be established as the successor by then.

Jeff Capel

Coach Capel and Coach Dawkins should be our preferences in that order. Just like Coach Nate is relating to younger and athletic recruits these days, Coach Capel is also bringing in great recruits at OU. He seems to have that same connection with the recruits and they seem to enjoy his company as well. Another 10 years of head coaching at OU will make him better suited to the rigors of ACC.

Wow, the thread sure jumped track to 1(j) quickly...

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    I don't think Nate "found" these kids as plenty of other major schools were competing for his services. I think we should celebrate that he seems to be able to draw these recruits toward Duke in such a convincing manner. Hopefully it isn't just coincidence and he can continue to be a major recruiter for us. Keep up the good work Nate!
    Actually, Nate did find Carrick Felix on a recruiting trip to the College of Southern Idaho to watch one of his teammates. He's been both a great recruiter and talent scout for us so far!

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Don't see Amaker having any shot at being Duke's coach when Coach K retires. Had 1 good year at Seton Hall and then did nothing at Michigan.
    My fellow Tennesseean, there's a reason for that. Michigan's probation was announced just after Amaker was announced there. How was he supposed to recruit with that albatross around his neck? He recruited well at Seton Hall, and by all accounts is doing the same at Harvard.

I'm not saying he should get the nod over Johnny D or anyone else ... just don't count him out.

Note, too - MI hasn't really improved since he left, either.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    My fellow Tennesseean, there's a reason for that. Michigan's probation was announced just after Amaker was announced there. How was he supposed to recruit with that albatross around his neck? He recruited well at Seton Hall, and by all accounts is doing the same at Harvard.

I'm not saying he should get the nod over Johnny D or anyone else ... just don't count him out.

Note, too - MI hasn't really improved since he left, either.
    I factored all of that in when talking about Amaker. Right now I just don't see Amaker taking the reins in 10+ years. And yes Michigan is still terrible.