Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Nice stat line for Gbinije. I'm really drawn to his field goal percentage (49%). That's one of the things that I have really liked about Gbinije every time I see him. GOOD SHOT SELECTION! I just love his pace. Michael always seems under control, sees the court well, and plays at his own pace. I wouldn't compare him to Scheyer, but Scheyer does pop up in my mind with this kid in terms of not being rushed. Hopefully he brings that style of play and awareness to Duke as well.

MG

Watched 3 of Mike G's games at the Peach Jam. He is a real keeper, destined to be a star at Duke. He has great hands, is very quick, and is deadly driving to the basket. He's also a surprisingly good rebounder. Oh, and he plays rather good defense for a high schooler.

The one area that he seemed to struggle with at the PJ is his shooting. By far, most of his points have been scored on tremendous drives to the basket, rebounds, and close in jumpers. As my new Duke friend, Jordan, said, maybe it's depth perception due to the small gyms where the games are played. If MG's shooting can improve, he will give the prince a run for his money as to the best 6' 6-7" swing player in NC

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Watched 3 of Mike G's games at the Peach Jam. He is a real keeper, destined to be a star at Duke. He has great hands, is very quick, and is deadly driving to the basket. He's also a surprisingly good rebounder. Oh, and he plays rather good defense for a high schooler.

The one area that he seemed to struggle with at the PJ is his shooting. By far, most of his points have been scored on tremendous drives to the basket, rebounds, and close in jumpers. As my new Duke friend, Jordan, said, maybe it's depth perception due to the small gyms where the games are played. If MG's shooting can improve, he will give the prince a run for his money as to the best 6' 6-7" swing player in NC
    Not sure about the Harrison Barnes statement but the arrival of Mike should make the departure of Kyle a lot easier on us.

The one area that he seemed to struggle with at the PJ is his shooting. By far, most of his points have been scored on tremendous drives to the basket, rebounds, and close in jumpers.
    It's great to hear that he is able to produce going to the basket. I assume that means his ballhandling has been strong? So far in highlights his ability to create his own shot has been the question mark, as his jumper has looked ACC-ready pretty much throughout (see 3:15 mark of earlier youtube video for a particularly nice one). He and Andre will make a deadly wing tandem.

Gbinje is featured in the new Slam Magazine. This kid is blowing up right before our eyes!!

Quote Originally Posted by sdotbarbee View Post
    Gbinije: 17.6PPG, 5.4RPG, 1.6APG, 1.6 STL, 1.4 BLK, 49%FG, 79% FT, 1.8 TO
    Peach Jam stats.
    And his team won every game and won the championship. Seems to understand the team concept very well.

Michael Gbinije (2011), 6-6, 177, SF
    Benedictine (Richmond, VA)
    Committed to Duke. Gbinije is effective in nearly every aspect on the court: shooting, slashing, passing, defense, etc. Because of that, he’s the ultimate stat-sheet filler. Best part is that Gbinije is a winner.

This an excerpt from his profile on highschoolhoop.I truly cannot wait for this kid.He will be a great addition to the team.

More Highlights`

Second part of Michael's AAU highlights ( there's also a little bit of Gbinije(Duke) vs. Gilchrist(UK)).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i6S6mKtGv4

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    Second part of Michael's AAU highlights ( there's also a little bit of Gbinije(Duke) vs. Gilchrist(UK)).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i6S6mKtGv4

Nice clip! I am very impressed with his ability to get to the rim, and he appears to be a great finisher too! Its funny that Gilchrist has to call for a ball screen every time to get around him.

Sorry :(

Not to be a Debby Downer but is he not a poor man's Andre Dawkin's? What in his skill set will separate him from Andre? I know Andre will be a junior when he comes on campus but I just don't see how Mike fits in. Let's be realistic, AAU does not play much D so to say that Gilchrist can't guard him might be a stretch. Someone straighten me out please.

BTW....I am always happy to pick up another recruit I just want to know where/how Mike fits in.

Quote Originally Posted by Azdukefan View Post
    Not to be a Debby Downer but is he not a poor man's Andre Dawkin's? What in his skill set will separate him from Andre? I know Andre will be a junior when he comes on campus but I just don't see how Mike fits in. Let's be realistic, AAU does not play much D so to say that Gilchrist can't guard him might be a stretch. Someone straighten me out please.

BTW....I am always happy to pick up another recruit I just want to know where/how Mike fits in.
    Mike has a good 3 inches on Dawkins and, therefore, will most likely play Small Forward. While Andre is, hands down, the better shooter, Mike has better handle and relies on that much more to to either drive to the basket or drive just inside the arch and hit a sweet jump shot.

I really don't know how Gbinije wouldn't fit with this Duke team. His first year, he will really be the only small forward on the team (with Andre and Josh sure to get minutes there) but Mike could most definitely get solid minutes off the bench at the 3.

So - Sr years, Mike will likely start, if not, get big minutes at the 3 and could potentially play a big part for this team so I really don't understand why you are so worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Azdukefan View Post
    Not to be a Debby Downer but is he not a poor man's Andre Dawkin's?
    Mike Gbinije has flown a bit under the radar due to his early commitment. The casual observer isn't aware of how high he is ranked. Currently:

Scout: #21
    Rivals: #31
    ESPN: #25

Gbinije is a very high quality recruit and Duke is extremely fortunate to have him aboard!
    Bob Green

The players are totally different.

Dawkins: 6'3" shooter with range and hops,limited handles,limited lateral quickness.

Gbinje: 6'8" swingman with jack of all trades master of none type skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post

Dawkins: 6'3" shooter with range and hops,limited handles,limited lateral quickness.

Where did you see him listed at 6'8"? I have never seen him listed as that tall. Consensus seems to be 6'6".

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ichael-gbinije

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...-Gbinije-73310

http://northcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s...=1&nid=3583211

http://bluedevilinsider.wordpress.co...mmits-to-duke/

Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post

Dawkins is officially listed at 6'4" and Gbinije is I believe generally considered to be about 6'6", so perhaps there is not so much difference between them as you contend. A two inch difference is worlds away from a five inch difference.

Nonetheless, as you suggest there is plenty of room on the team for both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Dawkins is officially listed at 6'4" and Gbinije is I believe generally considered to be about 6'6", so perhaps there is not so much difference between them as you contend. A two inch difference is worlds away from a five inch difference.

Nonetheless, as you suggest there is plenty of room on the team for both of them.
    This ^ is more along the lines of what I thought. Nothing I have heard has swayed me to believe the two have such different skill sets. However, I am very excited to have MG. I will still say that if PT comes to Dawkins/Gbinije, AD will get the nod. I guess we will just to wait and see. Thanks for the perspectives!

I have seen Gjinje listed at 6'7" to 6'8". But you might be right about the 6'6" thing. Athletes tend to be shorter than listed.This is very annoying as a basketball fan...

Any info on Gbinije?

I had heard a bunch of reports that Coach K had gone to see Tony Parker in Georgia on Tuesday night and that he would then go to one of Michael Gbinije's games on Wednesday night, did he end up watching Michael's game? And does anyone know how Michael did in that game?

Scant information

I live in Richmond, so I checked this morning's paper to see what I could find for you. They only have a very limited boxscore - Gbinijae for 26 with one three pointer.
    An undeafeated Benedictine beat a 5-2 Christ Church team. I was unaware that it was in K's plans to visit - I might have tried to get there.