Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Here's an article with some nice quotes from his HS coach:
    "Duke basketball is like Notre Dame football. A lot of people love it and a lot of people hate it," McAloon said. "But for Michael it began and ended with Coach K. I mean he is the U.S. Olympic coach.

"And when Michael finishes his career, rather he plays in the league or overseas, he is going to have a Duke degree. He is going to be set for life."
    http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...-from-top.html

Sounds like he's a great kid and I do love seeing a recruit (or his coach at least) mention specifically how impressive it is that Coach K is also the Olympic coach.

Seems like the coach expects Michael to stay for at least 3-4 years.

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Devil07 View Post
    Here's an article with some nice quotes from his HS coach:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...-from-top.html

Sounds like he's a great kid and I do love seeing a recruit (or his coach at least) mention specifically how impressive it is that Coach K is also the Olympic coach.
    You mean being Olympic coach doesn't hurt recruiting?

Great to have you on board Michael! It will be interesting to see how he progresses his senior year. I think he could be an immediate impact player if he gets stronger this next year. Great job Nate!

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I see from the thread that perhaps Nate James was instrumental in the recruitment. In Addition, from Scout.com he is listed at 6'6" and 180. I wouldn't characterize him as sturdy as one did in the thread. From the clip, he appears to have a nice jump shot. It appears he can play either shooting guard or small forward and would come with the 2011 group. With Singler gone at that time for sure, it will be good to have players in the 6'5" to 6'8" range that can play the 2 or 3 and that can also defend. Good commit for the team, although I would definitely like to hear more from someone who really has seen this kid play.

This commitment could definitely be the beginning of a solid 2011 group.
    For the record, ESPN has him listed at 194 with an updated evaluation in November of this past year. He is also just a junior and appears to have wide shoulders from the youtube clips. Obviously, this is far from an expert analysis, but I'd say that it would seem like he is already nicely sized (hey, he weighs more than Henson, already ) and would easily be able to bulk up, if necessary.

Positive trends

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter the Lab View Post
    Scout has him rated a bit higher.

4th at his position and 14th overall.

Don't look now but the future of Duke Basketball is looking EXTREMELY bright...
    I agree, I really like the developments on Duke's recruiting front for the 2010, and now the start of the 2011, classes. Things are looking really good for Duke right now. Kudos to the coaching staff. Keep up the good work!

Michael Gbinije

I haven't seen much written about Michael Gbinije on this Board (and forgive me if there is a trhead I missed - the mods can combine it), but I'm curious what the DBR recruiting experts think of Gbinije (including how to pronounce his name) and how he'll fit into K's system. I know he's only a junior, but is he likely to be a project? Or someone who can step in and get good minutes as a freshman?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

one never knows but since he's 24th ranked (according to ESPN), hopefully he can step in right away and provide 10-15 quality minutes from the get-go.

One and two.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    It's also one too many, unless someone leaves unexpectedly.
    If we end up needing Cook, I'd expect someone (*cough* Kyrie *cough*) has.

Can't say I know anything about recruiting, but it's always nice to land highly regarded kids. I remember a kid named Mike Dunleavy who, when recruited, was roughly 6'6 or 6'7 and then showed up on campus at 6'9. So you never know exactly how tall they'll be as collegiate athletes, plus he's still just a Jr so he may yet grow some. I also remember Duke recruiting a kid who in a round-about way was from Africa, some kid named Luol Deng. He was pretty good. He also showed up an inch or two taller than he was while being recruited. If Michael turns out to be in the same talent category as either Dun or Deng, well, that'd be sweet.

U learn something everyday. Thank you guys for showng me how to use the search. Never really messed with many of the features up here. I thank you.

"He also showed up an inch or two taller than he was while being recruited"

Yeah. Dennard also grew an inch or two.

Then again, there are the umpteen gazillion players who didn't get taller after entering college. It's not like you can count on it.

Gbinije Gboing off

Gbinije having his way in AAU play. Some scouting Tweets:

EvanDanielscout Michael Gbinije is torching Team Detroit. He's a quiet assassin. Can shoot, sneaky athlete, getting things done...
    BSnowRivals Aaron Thomas was very good in an early morning game for QCP... Now watching Mike Gbinije kill for Takeover

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Gbinije having his way in AAU play. Some scouting Tweets:

Awesome. Get some Mike!!

Mark Watson BlueDevilNation

From Akron Michael Gbinije's #'s were 10 of 13 (0 for 1 3pt FG), 2 for 3 FT 22 points, 2 assists, 6 rebounds ( 2 off), 2 steals, 1 block.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Mark Watson BlueDevilNation

From Akron Michael Gbinije's #'s were 10 of 13 (0 for 1 3pt FG), 2 for 3 FT 22 points, 2 assists, 6 rebounds ( 2 off), 2 steals, 1 block.
    not bad... I'm going to assume that this is perfectly representative of his typical performance every single time he plays, anywhere, and say that I can't wait till he brings his 77% shooting clip to Duke. Of course, he may have to work on that 0% 3 point shot... I mean, even I make those from time to time, cmon kid.

Gbinije sounds like a stud. I can't wait to see how much better he gets by the time he gets to Duke. Sounds like the sky is the limit.

its bizzare that rivals only has him as a 4* and scout has him as a 5*... there is hardly any agreement in these two sites. never know who to trust

love this kid's game though. just smooth. love the fact he can get to the rim and finish with contact as well as stroke the 3!