Ernie Jackson story

After graduating from Duke in 1964, I eventually found myself in Seattle as a young lawyer, not earning very much. Duke news was hard to find and I was traveling around the northwest for work so missed what little there was. In 1971, I realized that Mike McGee's Blue Devils were scheduled to play 9th-ranked Stanford on The Farm. So I scraped together enough money to fly down for the game.

Tudor's article, linked on the first page, reminded me of the final score. He neglected to mention that Ernie Jackson, as a DB, won the game by running an interception back for a TD. The game was tied 3-3 for the most part and it looked like no one could move the ball. Finally, Jackson stepped in front of a Don Bunce pass and took off with it. His run through the traffic was a thing of beauty; once clear, there was no one on the field who had a chance.

Reading Tudor's article reminded me of how little I was aware of Jackson's exploits during his time at Duke. Most of that was due to distance. No newspaper on the west coast covered ACC anything. At the same time, McGee was struggling with limits imposed by the administration upon the football program. In fact, I don't think most of us were aware of the impact those limits were having. Sure, Tom Harp was a mistake, but Mike? ... No way. Yet Mike's 1971 6-5 record would become a high water mark.

So thank you Ernie, for providing greatness at a time when football excellence was being devalued under our (my) unseeing eyes. I enjoyed that day immensely. I regret that the administration was for those years unable to see the benefit of what you and others like you could provide to the Duke community. Hopefully, we are now out of that wilderness.

Unlike Jim3K, a friend of mine and I listened to that game on the radio (Add Penfield on the mike?). When Ernie Jackson returned the interception for the only TD of the game, we raised such a ruckus that my bud's Dad threatened to make us cut off the radio.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

lives near a number of big white buildings
    Nice to read Tudor's article and the recollections above.

Ernie was a very talented, exciting and determined player. And a most interesting person.

Anyone know what he's up to now?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    So thank you Ernie, for providing greatness at a time when football excellence was being devalued under our (my) unseeing eyes. I enjoyed that day immensely. I regret that the administration was for those years unable to see the benefit of what you and others like you could provide to the Duke community. Hopefully, we are now out of that wilderness.
    Nice article and thanks Jim for another perspective.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Yeah, I remember listening to that game. One of the few great moments of Duke football in that era.
    The folks in Palo Alto remembered that game for a while too. So what's Ernie Jackson doing now?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    Yeah, I remember listening to that game. One of the few great moments of Duke football in that era.
    The folks in Palo Alto remembered that game for a while too. So what's Ernie Jackson doing now?
    According to IMDB, he's an actor and a stuntman / stunt coordinator. I didn't think it could be the same guy, but he's listed as playing himself on Monday Night Football.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0413505/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Ernie Jackson deserves praise and recognition

When I was University Archivist some African American students with money from Student Life came looking for information about past students to write up in a educational brochure to be distributed on campus. I noticed that all the athletes on their initial list were basketball players. I pointed out the considerable success that Ernie Jackson experienced under difficult circumstances. They were not interested in any football player! I urged the story of his thrilling exploits upon them but unfortunately they still had no interest in football, a sad example of the low estate of the program in the eyes of students. Admittedly they were shortsighted from several perspectives. I later heard when the publication came out that Jackson was understandably miffed. Praise and recognition are long overdue.

Ernie Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    After graduating from Duke in 1964, I eventually found myself in Seattle as a young lawyer, not earning very much. Duke news was hard to find and I was traveling around the northwest for work so missed what little there was. In 1971, I realized that Mike McGee's Blue Devils were scheduled to play 9th-ranked Stanford on The Farm. So I scraped together enough money to fly down for the game.

Tudor's article, linked on the first page, reminded me of the final score. He neglected to mention that Ernie Jackson, as a DB, won the game by running an interception back for a TD. The game was tied 3-3 for the most part and it looked like no one could move the ball. Finally, Jackson stepped in front of a Don Bunce pass and took off with it. His run through the traffic was a thing of beauty; once clear, there was no one on the field who had a chance.

Reading Tudor's article reminded me of how little I was aware of Jackson's exploits during his time at Duke. Most of that was due to distance. No newspaper on the west coast covered ACC anything. At the same time, McGee was struggling with limits imposed by the administration upon the football program. In fact, I don't think most of us were aware of the impact those limits were having. Sure, Tom Harp was a mistake, but Mike? ... No way. Yet Mike's 1971 6-5 record would become a high water mark.

Ernie was in my House (It was a time when the frats were really not an option for blacks). I remember him as a friendly, down-to-earth guy who was a lot of fun to joke around with. I also have vivid memories of him throwing his shoe at the TV during a few of Jesse Helms' nightly editorials.
    By the way, after playing on the same intramural B'Ball team for a couple years, I can attest that he was one heck of an athlete.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    Ernie was in my House (It was a time when the frats were really not an option for blacks). I remember him as a friendly, down-to-earth guy who was a lot of fun to joke around with. I also have vivid memories of him throwing his shoe at the TV during a few of Jesse Helms' nightly editorials.
    By the way, after playing on the same intramural B'Ball team for a couple years, I can attest that he was one heck of an athlete.

Jim
    For those youngin's on the board who only knew of Jesse Helms as the late ultra-conservative Senator from North carolina, before he entered politics he did editorial (ultra-conservative) commentary on WRAL-TV in Raleigh back in the 1960's and early 70's (then he ran for the Senate).

Ernie Jackson graduated the year before I got to Duke, but his exploits were legendary. As for Mike McGee as a coach, his teams were around .500 each season, which in retrospect meant his mediocrity was the good old days for me (until Coach Cut!)
    Last edited by OZZIE4DUKE; 08-07-2011 at 11:09 PM.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    For those youngin's on the board who only knew of Jesse Helms as the late ultra-conservative Senator from North carolina, before he entered politics he did editorial (ultra-conservative) commentary on WRAL-TV in Raleigh back in the 1960's and early 70's (then he ran for the Senate).

Ernie Jackson graduated the year before I got to Duke, but his exploits were legendary. As for Mike McGee as a coach, his teams were around .500 each season, which in retrospect meant his mediocrity was the good old days for me (until Coach Cut!)
    In retrospect, Mike McGee was able to cobble together some decent seasons by using mirrors and Ernie Jackson. Maybe he was fired because he won too much. Duke got rid of the next coach who won a few as well, Red Wilson.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

ernie

Of course, Ernie is one of just two consensus first-team All-Americans to play for Duke in the two-platoon era (since 1964 ... Clarkston Hines was the other).

He was also part of the greatest defensive backfield in Duke history. He was in the same class with safety Rich Searl -- a three-time first-team All-ACC player and safety Mike Davies, who led the ACC in interceptions one year. The corner opposite Ernie was one year younger -- Bill Hanenberg, a two-time first-team All-ACC performer and the best run-support corner I've ever seen.

Tudor's article has one mistake. When QB Dennis Satyshur was hurt late in the season, Searl -- not Jackson -- replaced him at QB. Jackson did replace banged up Steve Jones at tailback midway through the season, rushing for 181 yards in 17 carries in his debut against Navy.

Tudor is right that injuries devastated that team. Steve Jones, arguably Duke's greatest running back in the modern era, was hurt in a traiffic accident before the Stanford game. Placekocker Dave Wright, whose three field goals beat Florida and who kicked a 51-yarder at Stanford, was hurt in practice the next week (Mike McGee insisted that his kickers work on the scout team as position players ... Wright, a soccer player, was hurt playing wide receiver). Duke went into the Clemson game -- which was supposed to be in Durham, but was moved to Norfolk, Va., for the Oyster Bowl -- without its star TB or PK. The game was played on a muddy high school field (two high school games were played on it in a downpour the night before -- the field was a quagmire. Duke moved the ball all day and have at least five drives inside the 20 ... but without Wright to convert them into FGs, went scoreless.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

Tudor is right that injuries devastated that team. Steve Jones, arguably Duke's greatest running back in the modern era, was hurt in a traiffic accident before the Stanford game. Placekocker Dave Wright, whose three field goals beat Florida and who kicked a 51-yarder at Stanford, was hurt in practice the next week (Mike McGee insisted that his kickers work on the scout team as position players ... Wright, a soccer player, was hurt playing wide receiver). Duke went into the Clemson game -- which was supposed to be in Durham, but was moved to Norfolk, Va., for the Oyster Bowl -- without its star TB or PK. The game was played on a muddy high school field (two high school games were played on it in a downpour the night before -- the field was a quagmire. Duke moved the ball all day and have at least five drives inside the 20 ... but without Wright to convert them into FGs, went scoreless.
    That's about the time I started following Duke football. I had decided to accept Duke's Early Decision admission offer (one of three I had, but that's another story... ) and noticed that Duke was ranked in the top 20 in the football polls and undefeated. I had never followed college sports until that time - I was a pro sports fan, having grown up in NY and now living in Ft. Lauderdale and following my newly adopted Don Shula led Dolphins (except when they played my Jets, at least that first year.) Anyway, as soon as I started following the polls for Duke, they started losing and dropped out, although I had no details and never really gave it a thought at the time. It's nice to back fill some of the details.

I did get to watch Steve Jone his senior year, my freshman year, when our offense was Jones to the right, Jones up the middle, Jones to the left, Jones punts. Repeat.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

My first sports hero.

Being 7 years old in 1971, I don't remember many specifics, but I do remember loving watching Ernie Jackson play. He was the first player I recall noticing as being so electric. I was glued to the games because you never knew when he would make a great play, so you had to watch every moment. He was my first sports hero. Hard to believe it has been 40 years. Thanks, Ernie!

Also, it's interesting to hear that Ol' Jesse made him so angry. I can remember my dad yelling at the TV at the end of every news cast. I learned some of my best curse words then. High quality Marine curse words from my favorite Jarhead!
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil