View Poll Results: Who will win the South Region?

Voters
308. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. Duke

271 87.99%
  • 2. Villanova

14 4.55%
  • 3. Baylor

13 4.22%
  • 4. Purdue

0 0%
  • 5. Texas A&M

2 0.65%
  • 6. Notre Dame

1 0.32%
  • 7. Richmond

2 0.65%
  • 8. California

0 0%
  • 9. Louisville

2 0.65%
  • 10. St. Mary's

0 0%
  • 11. Old Dominion

0 0%
  • 12. Utah St.

0 0%
  • 13. Siena

0 0%
  • 14. Sam Houston St.

0 0%
  • 15. Robert Morris / 16. Arkansas Pine Bluff - Winthrop

3 0.97%
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

MBB: South Regional Discussion (Duke #1 seed)

Quote Originally Posted by TNDukeFan View Post
    I'll take your word for it. I make it a point not to click on any Doyel column.

Is it okay if I publish a quotation, roywhite?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    "But now, entering the 2010 NCAA tournament, the time feels right for a major shift. The time feels right for you, I mean. Not for me. But maybe you've noticed that Duke's best players are likeable, even sympathetic figures. And that the Duke coach is an Olympic hero. And that these likeable, sympathetic players and that Olympic hero coach have come together to produce one of the more overachieving seasons in college basketball. "

Same here. You are not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by TNDukeFan View Post
    "But now, entering the 2010 NCAA tournament, the time feels right for a major shift. The time feels right for you, I mean. Not for me. But maybe you've noticed that Duke's best players are likeable, even sympathetic figures. And that the Duke coach is an Olympic hero. And that these likeable, sympathetic players and that Olympic hero coach have come together to produce one of the more overachieving seasons in college basketball. "
    Only Doyle could sound so condescending and Duke-loathing while writing a positive piece about this team. Geez Doyle -- so he didn't want to help you write the book about him... just get over it. Time to grow up.

Aw, come on guys, it's a nice article. He admits his Duke hate, makes fun of himself, and says despite all that this is a good, fun Duke team that is difficult to root against. What's wrong with that?

This is a great article actually. Bravo.

I never click on Doyel columns either, but somehow got led to this one through a tweet of his that appeared on my timeline. Though I can't deal with his attention whore-ishness, this column is about as nice as he's going to be, and all things considered it's very flattering.

If you can take his schtick for what it is (i.e. the front he puts up indicating he could never be nice to Duke), it's a very, very complimentary piece about this year's team that I'm glad I read. And now I can go back to ignoring him.

Epiphany? Great piece by Doyel. It's hard to keep hating such a classy program, players and coach. We finally wore him down.
    Last edited by Verga3; 03-11-2010 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Spelling....it's Doyel, not Doyle. Sorry, Gregg.

i liked it...he is being won over and he's being dragged kicking and screaming...

but he's getting it...

Me too. But I will click on one that is complimentary to Duke. Maybe he will notice that he gets more clicks that way than by being an a$s.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Aw, come on guys, it's a nice article. He admits his Duke hate, makes fun of himself, and says despite all that this is a good, fun Duke team that is difficult to root against. What's wrong with that?
    Here's what wrong with it. I have no problem if a journalist hates Duke, though as a professional that is supposed to be separate what he writes, but I'll give that a pass. If doyel wants to hate Duke, he's free to do so. If he wants to write an article saying it's ok to root for Duke, that's ok too. If he want's to preface that article by saying how much he hates Duke to emphasize his point, that's also good. But where he goes off track is CONSTANTLY reminding us of his Duke hate. It's like he's having second thoughts throughout the article. Many of the compliments he gave were very backhanded. Half of it was an excuse to remind everyone of how long it has been since our last Final Four, National Title, etc. I'm almost surprised there wasn't a picture of Eric Maynor in there somewhere. The Scheyer section basically says that you can root for him because he's not J.J. Redick and makes funny faces. How is that a compliment? The only compliments that seemed sincere were the ones about Coach K, and he already wrote an article about that two years ago, when the Olympics actually happened. If he wasn't going to completely swallow his own Duke hate for a few paragraphs, he should have let someone else write the article.

He's just another schmuck posing as a journalist. I don't care whether he likes Duke or not. I don't read Doyel so I'm definitely not clicking. It's hypocritical enough that I'm contributing to a thread with his name in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    But where he goes off track is CONSTANTLY reminding us of his Duke hate.
    It was obviously his attempt at humor. You may not find it funny, but you should at least be able to recognize the intent.

The Hate Isn't Funny

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    It was obviously his attempt at humor. You may not find it funny, but you should at least be able to recognize the intent.
    There's no humor in a supposedly professional journalist being openly biased against a particular program. How many misleading and cheap-shot, half-truth-filled stories does this guy have to write before y'all get fed up with him and his childish "schtik?" And he has admitted openly in the past that it originates in petty, personal reasons. The only thing funny here is Doyel pretending to be a professional jounalist. I have to imagine his bit has worn thin on even the greatest "haters." He's managed to make himself the joke.

Lest we forget, it is "pros" like Gary Williams and Doyel and Sewart Scott constantly beating that ridiculous drum -- spoiled rich kids, all-white school, getting ALL the calls, worthy of hate/disdain - that serves to legitimize and embolden all of those crackpots who actually believe that crap.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    There's no humor in a supposedly professional journalist being openly biased against a particular program. How many misleading and cheap-shot, half-truth-filled stories does this guy have to write before y'all get fed up with him and his childish "schtik?" And he has admitted openly in the past that it originates in petty, personal reasons. The only thing funny here is Doyel pretending to be a professional jounalist. I have to imagine his bit has worn thin on even the greatest "haters." He's managed to make himself the joke.

Lest we forget, it is "pros" like Gary Williams and Doyel and Sewart Scott constantly beating that ridiculous drum -- spoiled rich kids, all-white school, getting ALL the calls, worthy of hate/disdain - that serves to legitimize and embolden all of those crackpots who actually believe that crap.
    I didn't say I found it funny. I'm saying that was his intent. Lots of people write things, and we don't have to like them, but he's practically apologizing in this article. In the words of the immortal Sergeant Hulka, "Lighten up, Francis."

MBB: South Regional Discussion (Duke #1 Seed)

Please place South regional thoughts here.

Louisville is going to be a terrifying game.

Duke has the easiest draw, if they get by Louisville, then they can go far....

Duke's draw is excellent. They might have the clearest road to the Final 4 of any team. Baylor is the only team that worries me.