Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    wow, wake down 22 right now. thought they were firmly in the tourney, but would a 20+ point loss to a "bad" team, change that?
    I think margin of victory is not explicitly considered, so it shouldn't hurt. And Wake has enough good wins to overcome these clunkers down the stretch.

But it's a pretty awful loss, and considering that Aminu has disappeared down the stretch it doesn't bode well for Wake's chances once they get into the tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2...ge-basketball/

Some interesting notes from the all-time ACC Tournament records of the schools:

UNC 84-38 17 titles
    Duke 84-39 17 titles

I have a feeling that Duke will have the better record after this weekend.

On the bottom end:
    Clemson 16-56 0 titles

That's 16 wins in 56 years! Ouch.
    56 tournaments played, okay so the number of losses + the number of titles must equal 56 for ACC charter members which I think both UNC and Duke are. So why does UNC's tally of losses and titles = 55? I don't recall them ever being banned from the tournament (though it must've surely been touch and go with the tournament committee this year) nor has there been a 3rd place game, nor a UNC title vacated.

I think Wake'll still get in but I hope they enjoy being an 11 seed.

aminu has vanished... it's like he has absolutely no interest in playing lately... wonder how this is going to affect his draft stock... i know the nba likes potential, but what about potential apathy?
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Agreed on Aminu, he has almost ZERO assertiveness.

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    That depends upon whether or not you think Miami can beat VT. It may be that all this does is increase the likelihood that we play VT in round 2 (if we're fortunate enough to get by UVa, of course).

So the real question is, would you rather face VT or Wake in Round 2 (with an outside chance at playing Miami)?
    In terms of winning, I think we'd beat Wake more often than VT, especially the way Wake has played lately. In terms of health, I'd rather play VT, although I realize they're not a finesse team.

Wake might have been good for MP1 and MP2, of course.

A friend of mine who went to Wake said he thought they'd lose out and go to the NIT - that was two weeks ago.

Who is Gaudio bringing in next year? Any reason he shouldnt be replaced by an up and comer or a vet coach?

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    A friend of mine who went to Wake said he thought they'd lose out and go to the NIT - that was two weeks ago.

Who is Gaudio bringing in next year? Any reason he shouldnt be replaced by an up and comer or a vet coach?
    He's a second year coach, right, who took over in incredibly difficult circumstances. And Wake's not the easiest place in the ACC to build a team. I'd give him time.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    56 tournaments played, okay so the number of losses + the number of titles must equal 56 for ACC charter members which I think both UNC and Duke are. So why does UNC's tally of losses and titles = 55? I don't recall them ever being banned from the tournament (though it must've surely been touch and go with the tournament committee this year) nor has there been a 3rd place game, nor a UNC title vacated.
    UNC withdrew from the 1961 tournament.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_C...2.80.931961.29

From the wiki history:

In 1960, the Tar Heels were placed on NCAA probation for "improper recruiting entertainment" of basketball prospects—to date, the only time any sport at UNC has been sanctioned by the NCAA. As a result, they were barred from the 1961 NCAA tournament[20] and also withdrew from the 1961 ACC Tournament. Following the season, Chancellor William Aycock forced McGuire to resign. As a replacement, Aycock selected one of McGuire's assistants, Kansas alum Dean Smith.

So Duke-UVA and Va. Tech-Miami

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    He's a second year coach, right, who took over in incredibly difficult circumstances. And Wake's not the easiest place in the ACC to build a team. I'd give him time.
    He probably will be treated fairly by Wellman and the Wake Forest administration, but IMO Dino is not up to the job.

Living in the Winston-Salem area, I do hear some grumbling from Deacon Club folks, but it's not (yet) a full scale hanging party.

I noticed this before about Miami but now it's even more pronounced. Miami has 5 ACC wins (after this) and 4 of them will be against the top 7 ACC teams (the 7 we expect to make the NCAAs). This makes them 4-7 against the top 7 and 1-5 against the bottom 5. Could they be any less helpful to the conference as far as NCAA bids go? It's kind of remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    He probably will be treated fairly by Wellman and the Wake Forest administration, but IMO Dino is not up to the job.

Living in the Winston-Salem area, I do hear some grumbling from Deacon Club folks, but it's not (yet) a full scale hanging party.
    How many years in a row does his team have to quit on him? He probably desrves another year - but they are losing a lot with Aminu to the NBA and Ish/McF/L.D. to graduation. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    I noticed this before about Miami but now it's even more pronounced. Miami has 5 ACC wins (after this) and 4 of them will be against the top 7 ACC teams (the 7 we expect to make the NCAAs). This makes them 4-7 against the top 7 and 1-5 against the bottom 5. Could they be any less helpful to the conference as far as NCAA bids go? It's kind of remarkable.
    Yeah, we really needed a team like Iowa or Depaul in the conference that would just roll over to everybody good. The ACC hasn't really had too many of those recently.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Trend

Lets hope the trend of lower seeds winning in this round stops tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Lets hope the trend of lower seeds winning in this round stops tonight.
    It looks to me that, in the first two games, one team really came ready to play and the other walked through the motion. If that trend continues, GT should trounce.

Wake

Wake doesn't deserve to go to the NCAA. They aren't good. 9-7 in the ACC this year isn't really saying much. Getting smoked by Miami and losing to UNC at home in the final stretch is really, really bad. Tech doesn't deserve to go if they lose to UNC tonight...though I doubt that will happen.

UNC starting lineup

The "young, inexperienced" Heels start two seniors and a junior...

Quote Originally Posted by TNDukeFan View Post
    The "young, inexperienced" Heels start two seniors and a junior...
    Well, everyone else is a freshman or a sophomore. So they are pretty young and inexperienced.

That said, GT is playing like the young, inexperienced team right now. They look tentative and impatient. UNC is making the plays and looking a bit like the team people thought they'd be before the season.

This is gross.

The winner of this Ga. Tech/nc game should be dubbed "Team who underachieved slightly less but still looked pretty bad and lazy doing it."