I found thinkgs very predictible until Hurt Locker started winning all those technical awards that I was sure would go to Avatar. At that point, all you had to do was revise your previous Avatar picks and move them to Hurt Locker and there were no surprises at all.

While I am pleased the Academy finally recognized a female director, I find myself disgusted that Cameron did not win. He opened new worlds, literally and figuratively, in Avatar. He took Hollywood where it will go for the next decade or two... and for that he has to watch his ex-wife win the award he should have gotten.

Look at the massive boxoffice take for Alice in Wonderland this weekend-- much of that was fueled by 3D and IMAX ticket sales. Avatar is the film that brought 3D and IMAX to the masses. Everyone in Hollywood will reap the benefits. An industry that had been dying from piracy and other digital robbery suddenly has new life. James Cameron did that and the Academy snubbed him. For shame.

Was his film the best of the year? No. But, his directing -- his mastery of a technicial medium that no one had mastered in quite that way before -- deserved Best Director.

Pity.

I loves Sandra Bullock's heartfelt speech. I thought Martin and Baldwin were funny and hit the right notes. NPH's opening routine was bawdy and funny. I used my DVR masterfully to skip the street dance routine and a few other typical slow points. There seemed to be a lot more talking than usual tonight -- especially those speeches for the Best Actor/Actress nominees... yawn.

Did Up In The Air not win a single award? Wow... how did that happen? This was a strong year for top films -- Basterds and Up In The Air were good enough to win most years.

--Jason "does anyone know if Bigelow and Cameron hate each other or if their divorce was amicable?" Evans