Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Doesn't look like whatever team gets him will be settling for jumpshots... dude can get to the hoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Allen View Post
    Some really awesome highlights from his 2010-11 season. This kid is ridiculous!

Shabazz Muhammad Mixtape 2010-11 season
    Has someone checked a birth certificate on Bazz? It looked like a 30 year old playing against 16 year olds . . . which is probably how the opposing team felt. As usual with mixtapes, can't tell too much other than the facts that he is incredibly strong for his age and he is quite the athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by turnandburn55 View Post
    Doesn't look like whatever team gets him will be settling for jumpshots... dude can get to the hoop.
    To me, all I could tell is he can convert when he's around the rim. I didn't see a tremendous handle or first step or post moves or outside shot or anything else. And at 6'6", one thing that's sure is it won't be so easy to have the ball and be in position to convert around the rim. Sure, I'll be thrilled if he comes to Duke, but I can't tell much about him from mixtapes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by turnandburn55 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    To me, all I could tell is he can convert when he's around the rim. I didn't see a tremendous handle or first step or post moves or outside shot or anything else.
    His handle and outside shot are certainly two of his weaknesses. He has a deceptive first step though and is so, so strong for his age.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    His handle and outside shot are certainly two of his weaknesses. He has a deceptive first step though and is so, so strong for his age.
    Cool. Hard to see that stuff from the mixtape, which is why I'd rather rely on accounts from people I trust who have seen him play (like you, Airowe).

Maybe it's because he's a lefty but he looks to me like a little more polished Elliot Williams. Bazz has a smoother offensive game than EWill but the explosiveness and physical build are very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by mo.st.dukie View Post
    Maybe it's because he's a lefty but he looks to me like a little more polished Elliot Williams. Bazz has a smoother offensive game than EWill but the explosiveness and physical build are very similar.
    Again, mixtape may be distorting my analysis, but it seemed to me that Williams was much more of a ball handler and play-maker than Shabazz. Williams was also craftier with his drives, weaving in and out of traffic while Shabazz just overpowers everyone. They seem very different to me. I could see a comparison to Gerald Henderson, though (G needed to develop his handle but his strength and hops were there from the beginning). Again, though, I'll cede the floor to arowe and anyone else who has seen him in person.

Quote Originally Posted by mo.st.dukie View Post
    That's not a bad comparison IMO.

Not to get into the rivalry, but I'm also reminded of a young Jerry Stackhouse.

This is the guy he's most compared to. Bazz may have a better ability to finish around the rim (although that could be contributed to the level of competition) and a bit more athleticism, but not as nice of a shot. He's got some time to work on that though...

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Yes, when I watched the video I was reminded of Stackhouse also. Similar builds.

By all accounts he appears very explosive. But as COYS alluded to, mixtapes don't show you much of their game.

I still feel if Rivers flows to the NBA after one year, Shabazz would be an amazing replacement. Would be great to develop a flow of NBA lottery guards coming through during the remaining years of K's legacy.

However, despite the exciting mixtape, I still feel Tony Parker is the key recruit for 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by darjum View Post
    However, despite the exciting mixtape, I still feel Tony Parker is the key recruit for 2012.
    You are not alone in this sentiment!

Stackhouse

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Then he should not rent beach houses.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    You are not alone in this sentiment!
    I completely agree about Parker, but if that is true then why did K tell Alex that he and Bazz were the "2 guys he really wanted"?

Had Parker not come on at that point or is K not worried about finding a big guy like the rest of us are?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Cool. Hard to see that stuff from the mixtape, which is why I'd rather rely on accounts from people I trust who have seen him play (like you, Airowe).
    Yes, hard to see that stuff from the mixtape. I confess to equal parts amusement and exasperation at the youtube phenomena, whereby someone looks at 30 seconds of highlights and suddenly feels qualified to chart that player's career arc.

Imagine how much time, effort and money Duke could save if they just depended more on mixtapes and didn't actually have to hit the road and see these kids in person. Because, they seem to be so accurate and everything.

While the athleticism is very apparent, so the the complete lack of a right hand. He will certainly be a stud but he needs to work on being more amphibious.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    While the athleticism is very apparent, so the the complete lack of a right hand. He will certainly be a stud but he needs to work on being more amphibious.
    I read that he wants to play club water polo to work on that right hand.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlestonDevil View Post
    I completely agree about Parker, but if that is true then why did K tell Alex that he and Bazz were the "2 guys he really wanted"?

Had Parker not come on at that point or is K not worried about finding a big guy like the rest of us are?
    Alex and Shabazz are great friends. That's probably why.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Yes, hard to see that stuff from the mixtape. I confess to equal parts amusement and exasperation at the youtube phenomena, whereby someone looks at 30 seconds of highlights and suddenly feels qualified to chart that player's career arc.

Imagine how much time, effort and money Duke could save if they just depended more on mixtapes and didn't actually have to hit the road and see these kids in person. Because, they seem to be so accurate and everything.
    Now, now Jim, let the children play in their dream world.

I went to a talk yesterday given by agent whistleblower Josh Luchs -- the guy from this infamous SI article -- which was interesting in a lot of ways. One thing he said is that a several-thousand dollar expense agents incur before the NFL draft is that every single prospect insists on having their own highlight tape, primarily for them to have and watch because it's cool. But he said -- predictably -- teams just threw highlight tapes in the trash when they get them, because they have all the game tape of a player and would obviously want to see everything, not just the player's finest moments.

All that said, I don't see the problem with fans wanting to see mixtapes, especially if they're not in an area of the country where they can make it to the games and make their own judgments. I personally like to get to games to see players in person, and I fully agree there's no basis in going overboard predicting a guy's whole career from a tape, but in terms of getting a handle on what sort of athletic gifts and body type a guy brings to the table, they can suffice. For example... if you can't get pumped watching this tape of Austin Rivers, I mean...

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    I read that he wants to play club water polo to work on that right hand.
    So he’s needs to watch more Derek Fisher?