Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    Sorry if this has aleady been posted but I thought It was pretty cool:

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...sp?CID=1353429

Money Quote: "I think they have so many pieces in place to win a lot of games next year with Mason Plumlee coming back, along with Rasheed Sulaimon and potentially myself coming in," Muhammad said of Duke. "I don't think they have a real prolific scorer and that is what Coach K is telling me about them.

"That's where they see me able to step in and score for them from a lot of different areas now that Austin Rivers is gone. With the veterans they have coming back, I think we could do a lot of damage."
    Thats the truth. The team is set up for Bazz and a Championship run.

the three

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    I don't think sitting on the bench for a season really counts as a year of experience. Alex is a redshirt Freshman and Michael only played in 19 games averaging less than 6 minutes per. I was incorrect on Mike's year, but my overall point is still valid - there is very little experience to draw from at the 3 with that lineup. None of the three have played a full season of College Basketball other than Mike's very limited contributions in roughly half the games this season.
    Some of you guys are talking like we'll definitely have a three man next year. Maybe ...

But I think that unless Muhammad comes, you see more three guard sets ... Tyler/Cook ar the point for almost 40 minutes with Seth, Andre and Rasheed sharing the two wing spots.

Most of the Duke guys I've been reading this offseason have been seriously underestimating Rasheed's impact. He's going to come close to replacing Austin -- not his scoring, but as an all-around player, his impact will be huge. HE plays more at the 3 than Gbinije or Murphy.

Now, all that changes if Shabazz comes -- he's a true impact freshman. He'll play maximum minutes ... but Rasheed is still a major factor.

I don't think sitting on the bench for a season really counts as a year of experience. Alex is a redshirt Freshman and Michael only played in 19 games averaging less than 6 minutes per. I was incorrect on Mike's year, but my overall point is still valid - there is very little experience to draw from at the 3 with that lineup. None of the three have played a full season of College Basketball other than Mike's very limited contributions in roughly half the games this season.
    There is a full year of practice - a lot more practice time during the season than game time.

In the immortal words of AI, "We're talking about practice ... not a game ... practice."
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

T-Minus 24 Hours

I kind of don't want tomorrow to come because I really don't want him to say no... but this indecision is brutal

Everyone is picking against Duke... could be bad or good.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Sorry, but have to disagree on the logic. Having a full year in the Duke system, working with the strength and conditioning coaches in world class facilities, practicing everyday against top level ACC talent, being coached by arguably the best staff in college ball daily, and in Gbinije's case, playing in real games, even in a limited role, is a huge advantage over someone who is a true freshman. Murphy and Gbinije will be miles ahead of true freshman at their position, who were similarly rated coming out of high school. It's just no comparison at all. Both guys played in all 4 China games, and the 2 exhibition games as well. Contrary to popular belief, players actually develop and improve in practice as well as over the summer.

Then with Shabazz you have the Top rated player in the country who much like Anthony Davis from last year has already shown he will be ready from Day 1. I believe that having a position manned by the Number 1 freshman in the country, backed up by a redshirt freshman rated 15th in his original class in Murphy, and with a player of Gbinije's capability as the 3rd string guy is darn strong. With the versatility of those 3 kids, K could even play all 3 together at times if he chose to.

If Shabazz announces tomorrow that he will be a Blue Devil, Duke climbs to the top of the pre-season ratings right beside Indiana. It will be an amazing offseason for K if that happens. Adding Jefferson would make it even better. Practices will be insane.

I've been kind of reluctant to think much about Shabazz possibly coming to Duke, figuring that it's a lock for Kentucky and the drama is manufactured.

Still, 'Bazz's comments seem genuine; he does a great job of outlining the case for Duke, as I'm sure Coach K has spelled it out well to him. Maybe this goes Duke's way; at this point, I'm at least convinced that the decision is a matter of serious consideration for 'Bazz and his family.

Shabazz sees that choosing Duke would mean a well-defined role with experienced talent around him, a legitimate chance at a championship, and tutelage under the best coach in the country. That's no small enticement.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Some of you guys are talking like we'll definitely have a three man next year. Maybe ...

But I think that unless Muhammad comes, you see more three guard sets ... Tyler/Cook ar the point for almost 40 minutes with Seth, Andre and Rasheed sharing the two wing spots.
    That. Would. Make. Me. Furious.

I seriously might break my TV if we see major minutes with Curry/Thornton at the 2 and Sulaimon at SF, given the roster we have. If you want a lineup that is at a complete disadvantage defensively, athletically and on the boards that minimizes our players' strengths and keeps great talent on the bench, that's a custom-made lineup for you (rhetorical you, rant not directed at you, OF...). IMO, Sheed should never be guarding/rebounding the SF position, and we should never have two 6'1, laterally-challenged guards in at the same time. Simply no excuse for that with next year's lineup.

I, for one, am hoping that K will reevaluate and shake things up after what he saw this season, and what he gets to work with at the Olympics. Like... realllly hoping...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post

I seriously might break my TV if we see major minutes with Curry/Thornton at the 2 and Sulaimon at SF, given the roster we have. If you want a lineup that is at a complete disadvantage defensively, athletically and on the boards that minimizes our players' strengths and keeps great talent on the bench, that's a custom-made lineup for you (rhetorical you, rant not directed at you, OF...). IMO, Sheed should never be guarding/rebounding the SF position, and we should never have two 6'1, laterally-challenged guards in at the same time. Simply no excuse for that with next year's lineup.

I, for one, am hoping that K will reevaluate and shake things up after what he saw this season, and what he gets to work with at the Olympics. Like... realllly hoping...
    Well said!!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

Most of the Duke guys I've been reading this offseason have been seriously underestimating Rasheed's impact. He's going to come close to replacing Austin -- not his scoring, but as an all-around player, his impact will be huge. HE plays more at the 3 than Gbinije or Murphy.
    You can never tell with a Freshman but it seems like people over-estimate their impact more often than they underestimate it. You never know who will show up ready to contribute but whoever plays this year will have to earn their minutes because there probably won't be any red-shirts on this year's squad. I don't think many people predicted that TT would get as much burn as he did the past two years but he earned PT over players that we all thought were better. I expect him to come back improved next year too so how do you keep him on the bench? I think that, unless Good Sheed demonstrates that he is a Kyrie/AR game changing type player, he will be brought along slowly with Seth, Dre, Cook and TT all getting more minutes. if I'm wrong it won't be the first time though.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

I am in the same boat with you. We can just take turns watching road games at each other's house and stock up on remotes and TV's to break . I just cannot see K sitting the bigger wings in favor of the short guards again this coming season. We still managed to have a great regular season, and a decent ACC Tourney without Kelly, but K had to coach his rear off to make that happen. Kelly and the Plums had no rebounding help or defensive help in the paint with other teams 6'7 wings crashing the boards, and we could not force turnovers.

If we wash, rinse, and repeat again this year with the same perimeter guys plus Rasheed, while Murphy and Gbinije sit, it will be frustrating. Now, if Shabazz signs on tomorrow, it will end the debate early!

With him stating that "how comfortable I am with the coach and how well we communicate is going to be the biggest factor in my choice", I like the odds . . . Coach K is nothing if not a superb communicator with pros and college players alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Sorry, but have to disagree on the logic. Having a full year in the Duke system, working with the strength and conditioning coaches in world class facilities, practicing everyday against top level ACC talent, being coached by arguably the best staff in college ball daily, and in Gbinije's case, playing in real games, even in a limited role, is a huge advantage over someone who is a true freshman. Murphy and Gbinije will be miles ahead of true freshman at their position, who were similarly rated coming out of high school. It's just no comparison at all. Both guys played in all 4 China games, and the 2 exhibition games as well. Contrary to popular belief, players actually develop and improve in practice as well as over the summer.

Then with Shabazz you have the Top rated player in the country who much like Anthony Davis from last year has already shown he will be ready from Day 1. I believe that having a position manned by the Number 1 freshman in the country, backed up by a redshirt freshman rated 15th in his original class in Murphy, and with a player of Gbinije's capability as the 3rd string guy is darn strong. With the versatility of those 3 kids, K could even play all 3 together at times if he chose to.

If Shabazz announces tomorrow that he will be a Blue Devil, Duke climbs to the top of the pre-season ratings right beside Indiana. It will be an amazing offseason for K if that happens. Adding Jefferson would make it even better. Practices will be insane.
    I wasn't arguing that Mike and Alex won't have a leg up over other true Freshman; I agree they will. My point was that neither of them (or Shabazz for that matter) have played anything close to starter or reserve minutes for an entire college basketball season, and that concerns me. Alex and Mike may be solid rotation guys, but it is also possible that they won't. Shabazz may be the next Anthony Davis, but he might be the next Shavlik Randolph. Going into a season with three unproven guys at one position is a gamble is all I'm saying. You think it will be fine, and you may be right. Personally, I'd rather have at least one upperclassmen with some experience in the mix, but Shabazz could certainly erase my doubts if he comes and is that good from day one.

Regardless, I am going to enjoy watching a senior heavy team next year...
    "There can BE only one."

Say he chooses Duke

15 minutes before goes on to make his announcement to Duke and Shabazz calls UCLA and UK to tell them he will be attending Duke next year. Does anyone think that Calipari will try to pull the same stunt he did with Terrence Jones or because of Coach K's stature he'll let it go?

Rest easy brother. I don't think we'll be small on the perimeter next season. I don't think Coach K wanted to be small last season, either, because he definitely lamented on a couple of occasions about not having a mid-sized player available to him. Last season was just one of those things. Gbinije was some combination of ill and unready, and Murphy wanted to redshirt (I don't believe it was the coaching staff's idea; I think the Murphys were wary of how big brother Erik wasted his freshman season because he didn't begin college strong enough).

Coach K pretty much built a program on versatile athletic wings. He'll get back to that this season.

Curry, Sheed, Wing (Bazz/Gbinije/Murphy) are the mostly likely starters at the 1 thru 3.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    15 minutes before goes on to make his announcement to Duke and Shabazz calls UCLA and UK to tell them he will be attending Duke next year. Does anyone think that Calipari will try to pull the same stunt he did with Terrence Jones or because of Coach K's stature he'll let it go?
    puling that crap on washington's coach is one thing, pulling it on K is a stink that would create a firestorm that cal might not wan't....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Okay... okay... I'm breathing...

I agree with you, it's just that OF has this annoying habit of not being wrong about anything, ever, so that post was a little unsettling to me.

Anyway, sorry for derailing. Hopefully Bazz actually does "shock the world" tomorrow and renders this whole discussion moot.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    I feel like that exchange would go a little like this:

I feel like that exchange would go a little like this:

That is great. I'll be laughing at this for a long time.

Pump Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Airowe (or anyone else who knows the answer) - Who are the pump brothers, and what is the implication with respect to Bazz?

Adam Rowe ‏ @DukeHoopBlog
    To me, the timing means this is related to Bazz. RT @trigonis30 Adidas has dropped the Pump brothers from their stable of sponsored teams
    Are or were very big in college and high school basketball. Basically they replaced Sonny Vacarero for Adidas. They sponsor an elite AAU team and sponsor charity events. UCLA and Kansas are Adidas schools, also NC State. Coaches etc came to their charity events almost as an obligation.

On their website http://doublepump.com/ you can see some their legends of coaching including Wooden and Knight.

They are twin brothers, seen here with another coach.

DP_32.jpg

SoCal