Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 681 to 700 of 958
  1. #681
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    ..

    Muhammad/Gbinje/Alex - A top talent for sure, but downside is you have 3 freshman at that position.
    Michael Gbinije was a frosh THIS year, so he'll be a sophomore next. Alex will also be a sophomore in class standing, although a frosh in elegibility. Regardless, both will have a year of experience, albeit limited.

    s.i.

  2. #682
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    .. especially if Andre and Dawkins play at the same time

    I think you meant Rasheed, correct?

    Personally, I don't know that the lineup you mention is all that impressive.
    Mason/Marshall - Pretty good starter, but unproven rookie at backup. Big drop off if Mason gets into foul trouble
    Kelly/Hairston/Gbinje - Nice matchup 4, but you lose a lot of rebounding. Hairston/Gbinje very much unproven.
    Muhammad/Gbinje/Alex - A top talent for sure, but downside is you have 3 freshman at that position.
    Curry/Suliamon/Dawkins - Deepest spot on the floor, although Curry and Dawkins have defensive liabilities
    Cook/Thornton/Curry - Decent rotation if Cook is healthy. If not, we're pretty thin.

    So essentially, you have this year's team, but you trade Rivers/Miles for Suliamon/Muhammad. That's an upgrade, and everyone else has another year of experience. However, even with Shabazz I don't think this team is as loaded as UNC or Kentucky was this year. One thing that scares me is that with or without Shabazz, we lose 4 rotation guys at the end of the season. That's a lot of holes to fill, and losing another one-and-done could mean replacing our entire starting 5.

    I'd really like to get another stud in this year's class, be it Shabazz, Parker, or Amile. If Shabazz is a true one-and-done, not sure if I'd rather have Amile or Parker for the longer term.
    Good thing they will not be playing KY and UNC teams from this year. The question is who next year will be the hands down dominant team. Is this Duke team better than Indiana- a KY team that has yet to be formed- a UNC team with a lot of unknowns? Who knows- but every year is different. This Duke team has 4 starters who won 27 games. Murphy will bring a different skill set and some length. Everyone is older and Suliamon has skills. I expect this Duke team will win a lot of games. Although- the following years are going to be interesting unless Duke can recruit some players with size.
    dukelifer

  3. #683
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    On paper, that team can't guard a folding chair (yet).
    Who could guard a folding chair ...

    if Bobby Knight is "coaching" it onto the floor?

  4. #684
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Burlington
    Was K actually the last to get a one on one or did Cal go ala Roy and swoop in as soon as we pulled out?

  5. #685
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    greater New Orleans area

    ubelievable

    Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I don't know if Scheyer scared anyone either, but he was pretty darn effective.
    a bit off track I know, but
    I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone dribble as precisely, deliberately through an opposing D as Scheyer could. You see a few guys a year who can blow by defenders or make that one move that breaks ankles to get them in clean air, but Scheyer was like watching a guy play chess against checkers players at times...methodically breaking down a defense with precision. just amazing. most who weren't scared probably should have been.

  6. #686
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Burlington
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    a bit off track I know, but
    I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone dribble as precisely, deliberately through an opposing D as Scheyer could. You see a few guys a year who can blow by defenders or make that one move that breaks ankles to get them in clean air, but Scheyer was like watching a guy play chess against checkers players at times...methodically breaking down a defense with precision. just amazing. most who weren't scared probably should have been.
    If it wern't for that freak eye injury there's no doubt in my mind Scheyer would be lighting up clutch 3's for the Heat. Possibly even running the point here and there, the guy was a baller but most importantly a WINNER!!

  7. #687
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Durham
    Airowe (or anyone else who knows the answer) - Who are the pump brothers, and what is the implication with respect to Bazz?

    Adam Rowe ‏ @DukeHoopBlog
    To me, the timing means this is related to Bazz. RT @trigonis30 Adidas has dropped the Pump brothers from their stable of sponsored teams

  8. #688
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Burlington
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Airowe (or anyone else who knows the answer) - Who are the pump brothers, and what is the implication with respect to Bazz?

    Adam Rowe ‏ @DukeHoopBlog
    To me, the timing means this is related to Bazz. RT @trigonis30 Adidas has dropped the Pump brothers from their stable of sponsored teams
    This is a bit OT regarding your ? but if you all look at bazz's twitter he's been "retweeting" alot of KU fan's mentions, just a theory although it's a reach.

  9. #689
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Columbus OH 614
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Airowe (or anyone else who knows the answer) - Who are the pump brothers, and what is the implication with respect to Bazz?

    Adam Rowe ‏ @DukeHoopBlog
    To me, the timing means this is related to Bazz. RT @trigonis30 Adidas has dropped the Pump brothers from their stable of sponsored teams
    Some supposed "shady" characters in he AAU, CBB scene tied to Adidas

  10. #690
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Airowe (or anyone else who knows the answer) - Who are the pump brothers, and what is the implication with respect to Bazz?

    Adam Rowe ‏ @DukeHoopBlog
    To me, the timing means this is related to Bazz. RT @trigonis30 Adidas has dropped the Pump brothers from their stable of sponsored teams
    Quote Originally Posted by dcar1985 View Post
    Some supposed "shady" characters in he AAU, CBB scene tied to Adidas
    The Kansas ticket scandal was also orchestrated by the Pump brothers.
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...utickets052610

  11. #691
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Airowe (or anyone else who knows the answer) - Who are the pump brothers, and what is the implication with respect to Bazz?

    Adam Rowe ‏ @DukeHoopBlog
    To me, the timing means this is related to Bazz. RT @trigonis30 Adidas has dropped the Pump brothers from their stable of sponsored teams
    http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...ke-another-hit

    The Pump Brothers were tied to the Kansas ticket scandal - not exactly sure why Adidad dropping the Pumps (who have been under scrutiny for quite some time) would be tied to Bazz....

    anyone?

    s.i.

  12. #692
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Columbus OH 614
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleIrish View Post
    http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...ke-another-hit

    The Pump Brothers were tied to the Kansas ticket scandal - not exactly sure why Adidad dropping the Pumps (who have been under scrutiny for quite some time) would be tied to Bazz....

    anyone?

    s.i.
    Probably the fact that his god father and other individuals close to Bazz are employed by or connected to Adidas...

  13. #693
    The Pump Brothers have been among those parties tied to Adidas who are rumored to be influencing Shabazz to UCLA. While this may or may not be the case, the timing to me is a little odd.

  14. #694
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by ScheyersonFire2010 View Post
    This is a bit OT regarding your ? but if you all look at bazz's twitter he's been "retweeting" alot of KU fan's mentions, just a theory although it's a reach.
    In fairness, he retweeted at least one "Come to Duke" message, also--although it did appear to come from a pretty young lady who also asked her to marry him.

  15. #695
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Burlington
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    In fairness, he retweeted at least one "Come to Duke" message, also--although it did appear to come from a pretty young lady who also asked her to marry him.
    This is true, also to be noted are that around 90% of his retweets dealing with fans of universities seem to be of pretty college female students. I guess who ever lands him will at the very least know Mr. Muhammed flies straight.

  16. #696

    Interesting New Shabazz Interview

    Sorry if this has aleady been posted but I thought It was pretty cool:

    http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...sp?CID=1353429

    Money Quote: "I think they have so many pieces in place to win a lot of games next year with Mason Plumlee coming back, along with Rasheed Sulaimon and potentially myself coming in," Muhammad said of Duke. "I don't think they have a real prolific scorer and that is what Coach K is telling me about them.

    "That's where they see me able to step in and score for them from a lot of different areas now that Austin Rivers is gone. With the veterans they have coming back, I think we could do a lot of damage."

  17. #697
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleIrish View Post
    Michael Gbinije was a frosh THIS year, so he'll be a sophomore next. Alex will also be a sophomore in class standing, although a frosh in elegibility. Regardless, both will have a year of experience, albeit limited.

    s.i.
    I don't think sitting on the bench for a season really counts as a year of experience. Alex is a redshirt Freshman and Michael only played in 19 games averaging less than 6 minutes per. I was incorrect on Mike's year, but my overall point is still valid - there is very little experience to draw from at the 3 with that lineup. None of the three have played a full season of College Basketball other than Mike's very limited contributions in roughly half the games this season.
    "There can BE only one."

  18. #698
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    Sorry if this has aleady been posted but I thought It was pretty cool:

    http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...sp?CID=1353429

    Money Quote: "I think they have so many pieces in place to win a lot of games next year with Mason Plumlee coming back, along with Rasheed Sulaimon and potentially myself coming in," Muhammad said of Duke. "I don't think they have a real prolific scorer and that is what Coach K is telling me about them.

    "That's where they see me able to step in and score for them from a lot of different areas now that Austin Rivers is gone. With the veterans they have coming back, I think we could do a lot of damage."
    Unfortunately, he made similar "if I came" statements about UK and UCLA as well. As much as I'd like to, I wouldn't read anything into this...lest we set ourselves up for too much disappointment.
    T '05
    SOM '10
    DR '16

  19. #699
    He only used the word "we" with Duke :-)

  20. #700
    This quote caught my eye as well:

    "It's going to be a pros-and-cons thing," Muhammad said. "We are going to sit down and really discuss everything about the schools. It's going to be a lot of how comfortable I am with the coach. I think that's the big thing for me. Next year I'm going to have to take on really trying to be a leader, and how comfortable I am with the coach and how well we communicate is going to be the biggest factor in my choice."


    Leadership...Communication...Sounds like he was taking notes during Coach K's visit Sunday.

Similar Threads

  1. Shabazz Muhammad or Tony Parker
    By Duke31122 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 11:17 PM
  2. Shabazz Muhammad will be in Myrtle Beach Dec 26th - 30th
    By Surfsideron in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-22-2011, 09:12 AM
  3. Shabazz Muhammad verbals to Duke?
    By Surfsideron in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-12-2011, 12:40 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-15-2011, 10:36 PM
  5. UCLA/UNC - Committee favored UCLA
    By SoCalDukeFan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-17-2008, 10:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •