Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Plus I don't think Calipari enjoyed his last stint in the NBA all that much. On average, sure, being a coach in the NBA is a better and more prestigious job than being a coach in college. But better than being the guy who brought Kentucky its most recent championship? Better than being, just for another example, Coach K? I don't think so--too many hassles, not enough authority.
    Being an NBA coach may not be all that more prestigious, but bringing the NY Knicks their first NBA championship in 40+ years would go waaaay beyond that. That said, I don't think World Wide Wes would want Calipari competing directly against Jay-Z's Brooklyn Nets for the NY market.

APR requirements?

Just wondering, re: Calimari at UK, does the Graduation APR catch up with him at some point? Don't they need a certain % to graduate within 6 years or something like that before losing scholarships and risking tournament bans? I may just not know the current rules, but (if I were right) his 1 and done strategy may only work short term at best, albeit long enough to garner an Championship or two before allowing him to cash in while crippling the school for half a decade. Just wondering about that angle?
    Go Duke!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ikiru36 View Post
    Just wondering, re: Calimari at UK, does the Graduation APR catch up with him at some point? Don't they need a certain % to graduate within 6 years or something like that before losing scholarships and risking tournament bans? I may just not know the current rules, but (if I were right) his 1 and done strategy may only work short term at best, albeit long enough to garner an Championship or two before allowing him to cash in while crippling the school for half a decade. Just wondering about that angle?
    Go Duke!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!
    They don't need to graduate; they just need to be in good academic standing when they leave.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    They don't need to graduate; they just need to be in good academic standing when they leave.
    Ok. I thought that there were 'retention' points in addition to 'eligibility' points, so a team was penalized for each semester within the 4 years after giving a scholarship that the player wasn't enrolled in school, irregardless their most recent academic standing?
    Not at all sure though. These rules often change and can also be difficult to properly interpret.
    It would certainly be good to fully understand the rule though, for UKs sake and our own (given many fans desire that we get 1 and 2 year players ourselves)
    Go Blue Devils!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    In the event you are correct (quite likely), I'm sure that the University of Kentucky is incredibly rigorous in its determination of whether its freshman athletes have retained their good academic standing! (that's a pretty enormous loophole if the institution itself is allowed to make the determination.)

More Shabazz to UCLA Fodder

Taken from the free visitors section of hoopscooponline (so consider the source) dated 4/4/12:
    "We will start with 6'5 Shabazz Muhammad from Las Vegas (Bishop Gorman) NV, who is our #1-ranked senior nationally and has recently told several people that we know that he's going to UCLA."

That was followed by this interesting tidbit, which I will also place in a different Thread: "The race for 6'8 Amile Jefferson from Wynnewood (Friends Central) PA continues to be too close to call. But several people close to the kid think that the #2-ranked senior nationally by the HOOP SCOOP will pick N.C. State over schools like Duke, Villanova, Ohio State, Kentucky, and Temple. So, for our purposes here, we're predicting that Jefferson will pick the Wolfpack. The race also appears to be going right down to the wire for 6'9 Tony Parker from Lithonia (Miller Grove) GA, who currently checks in at #4 on our list of the top seniors nationally, with regards to schools like UCLA, Ohio State, Kansas, Memphis, Duke, and Georgia. However, those in the know think Parker will follow in the footsteps of Muhammad, who will make his college decision one day before Parker is supposed to sign on the dotted line. And, when Parker does sign, the smart money is on the Bruins hitting the daily-double with two more top five-ranked players in this year's recruiting class."

Again, take it for what it's worth. It's the opinion of those running the website, but I certainly don't like it.

Link - http://www.hoopscooponline.com/visit...-visitors.html

Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Taken from the free visitors section of hoopscooponline (so consider the source) dated 4/4/12:
    "We will start with 6'5 Shabazz Muhammad from Las Vegas (Bishop Gorman) NV, who is our #1-ranked senior nationally and has recently told several people that we know that he's going to UCLA."

That was followed by this interesting tidbit, which I will also place in a different Thread: "The race for 6'8 Amile Jefferson from Wynnewood (Friends Central) PA continues to be too close to call. But several people close to the kid think that the #2-ranked senior nationally by the HOOP SCOOP will pick N.C. State over schools like Duke, Villanova, Ohio State, Kentucky, and Temple. So, for our purposes here, we're predicting that Jefferson will pick the Wolfpack. The race also appears to be going right down to the wire for 6'9 Tony Parker from Lithonia (Miller Grove) GA, who currently checks in at #4 on our list of the top seniors nationally, with regards to schools like UCLA, Ohio State, Kansas, Memphis, Duke, and Georgia. However, those in the know think Parker will follow in the footsteps of Muhammad, who will make his college decision one day before Parker is supposed to sign on the dotted line. And, when Parker does sign, the smart money is on the Bruins hitting the daily-double with two more top five-ranked players in this year's recruiting class."

Again, take it for what it's worth. It's the opinion of those running the website, but I certainly don't like it.

Link - http://www.hoopscooponline.com/visit...-visitors.html
    Yea if they have Amile and Tony ranked 2 and 3 in their rankings Im probably not going to put much faith in what they're saying....looks like a 15 yr old put that site together btw

Clark Francis once ranked Ivan Renko as the #1 player in the country. http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/201...nd-4-others/2/

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Clark Francis once ranked Ivan Renko as the #1 player in the country. http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/201...nd-4-others/2/

"Sportswriters soon figured out that Renko was a fabrication, but recruiting services weren’t so savvy. Several included Renko in their rankings, some going as far as to evaluate his playing style."

Hilarious and sad. Evaluate his playing style? What did they say? "Um... he's big and can dribble and put the ball in the hoop. Doesn't speak English very well, and um..."

Perhaps those rankings are just for remaining, uncommitted players? And he doesn't consider Noel a senior due to the reclassification, I'm grasping at straws here.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Perhaps those rankings are just for remaining, uncommitted players? And he doesn't consider Noel a senior due to the reclassification, I'm grasping at straws here.
    Nope, it appears to include committed players. Even among non-committed players, Jefferson wouldn't be #2. He'd be at best #3 or #4 (depending upon if you don't include Noel - whose exclusion makes no sense).

Note though that the list separates 4th year guys from 5th year guys. Even still, Jefferson has no business being ahead of Anderson, Bennett, Purvis, Sulaimon, Goodwin, Poythress, etc.

Note: All of the Cal to NBA posts were move to the "basketball themed game" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    It's 9:23am, but that post just made my day. I love Knight...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

@clintjackson1: Shabazz Muhammad gets one last face to face meeting with Mike Krzyzewski and Steve Wojciechowski on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    @clintjackson1: Shabazz Muhammad gets one last face to face meeting with Mike Krzyzewski and Steve Wojciechowski on Sunday.
    If there's any truth to this, this could be a good thing for Duke. If Shabazz knew Duke wasn't the school, I don't think this meeting would happen. Go Duke

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cbnaylor View Post
    If there's any truth to this, this could be a good thing for Duke. If Shabazz knew Duke wasn't the school, I don't think this meeting would happen. Go Duke
    Unless Ben Howland is riding around Muhammad's neighborhood with a UCLA jersey in his car and waiting for K and Wojo to leave.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Unless Ben Howland is riding around Muhammad's neighborhood with a UCLA jersey in his car and waiting for K and Wojo to leave.
    Well if Shabazz turns out to be HB, I think we will be better off without him. Legacy.

Well,...

Would you turn down a meeting with the coach of the US National Team if you thought you were the best player of your age in teh country?

I agree, it's a good sign, but surely Coach K can get a meeting with anyone these days.

sage

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Would you turn down a meeting with the coach of the US National Team if you thought you were the best player of your age in teh country?

I agree, it's a good sign, but surely Coach K can get a meeting with anyone these days.

sage
    True, but Shabazz comes across as a player who would BS someone's time just to do it.

True, but Shabazz comes across as a player who would BS someone's time just to do it.
    What gives you that impression?