Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    What is the point of the April 10th NCAA deadline? What happens to a player who declares April 11 - 29th that is different from one who declares before April 10?
    nothing

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    What is the point of the April 10th NCAA deadline? What happens to a player who declares April 11 - 29th that is different from one who declares before April 10?
    The April 10 deadline is the last date that a player who has officially entered the draft can remove his name and still maintain eligibility. Anyone who declares early can un-declare But that deadline has no implications if you wait to declare at all.

The only difference between declaring before April 10 and after April 10th is that declaring before April 10th gives you the opportunity to back out. If you declare after April 10, you have no choice but to go pro.

Quote Originally Posted by mapleleafdevil View Post
    So it looks like the Kentucky class of 2011 is waiting until closer to the draft entry deadline of Apr. 29 to decide whether they are going to be NBA bound.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...Draft_Deadline

So, does Shabazz roll the dice? Not an ideal situation if the players at his position decide to stick around and try to defend their title.
    I suspect he'll just wait until those guys decide. There's nothing forcing him to decide on April 11. If he's really concerned about the situation, he can just hold off on his choice until then.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The April 10 deadline is the last date that a player who has officially entered the draft can remove his name and still maintain eligibility. Anyone who declares early can un-declare But that deadline has no implications if you wait to declare at all.

The only difference between declaring before April 10 and after April 10th is that declaring before April 10th gives you the opportunity to back out. If you declare after April 10, you have no choice but to go pro.
    If there's one thing I would like to see, it would be for the NCAA to allow any player to return at any time as long as he hasn't hired an agent/accepted money/signed a contract.

Not clear on why there's an arbitrary deadline to pull out of the draft. Heck, I'm not sure why a player can't even be drafted and then say "Second round? Really? Screw this, I'm going back to school..."

Quote Originally Posted by turnandburn55 View Post
    If there's one thing I would like to see, it would be for the NCAA to allow any player to return at any time as long as he hasn't hired an agent/accepted money/signed a contract.

Not clear on why there's an arbitrary deadline to pull out of the draft. Heck, I'm not sure why a player can't even be drafted and then say "Second round? Really? Screw this, I'm going back to school..."
    I would imagine that it is an attempt to provide a date at which member schools know their next year roster, even though it does not appear to have that result. Knowing the roster affects recruiting decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesfrommaiden View Post
    First of all I am not worried about UCLA.
    Yeah, I don't know why he'd go to UCLA. Why go to a team where you know you'll be the II'nd best player?

Quote Originally Posted by shoutingncu View Post
    Yeah, I don't know why he'd go to UCLA. Why go to a team where you know you'll be the II'nd best player?
    Wear is that you're saying?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I would imagine that it is an attempt to provide a date at which member schools know their next year roster, even though it does not appear to have that result. Knowing the roster affects recruiting decisions.
    Yup. The coaches roundly complained about the "testing the waters" situation. So the NCAA tried to fix it. Unfortunately, their approach is likely to fall short of the goal. Ultimately, as long as the NCAA deadline isn't until April 29, teams aren't going to know their fates for sure until April 29.

He also has another Top-50 big man coming in (Cauley). If he somehow got all three of those guys, he'd have a rotation of:

Harrow
    Goodwin
    Muhammad
    Poythress
    Noel

Bennett
    Wiltjer

The question would simply be guard depth. The talent would be unquestionable.
    I don't know much about Bennett, but from last summer's RSCI he was ranked #8 while Poythress was #19. So, out of curiosity, why do you have Poythress starting over Bennett? Did Poythress pass him over the course of this season? Is Bennett more of a "3" than a "4"?

Quote Originally Posted by mapleleafdevil View Post
    So, does Shabazz roll the dice? Not an ideal situation if the players at his position decide to stick around and try to defend their title.
    As others have said, it wouldn't be rolling the dice so much as waiting until he has all the information. Nothing says he has to decide in April. Plus, even if nobody left, there would probably still be a starting spot at Kentucky for Shabazz. Even if both Jones and MKG decide to stay (highly unlikely IMO), Shabazz would probably start at the 2 over Lamb.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Yup. The coaches roundly complained about the "testing the waters" situation. So the NCAA tried to fix it. Unfortunately, their approach is likely to fall short of the goal. Ultimately, as long as the NCAA deadline isn't until April 29, teams aren't going to know their fates for sure until April 29.
    The NBA would also like the certainty of having a closed universe of players to scout long before the draft rolls around. They dont want to plan on drafting someone, only to have that player pull out a few days before the draft.

I do think the NBA and NCAA could help kids out more than they do. A lot more. Any help at all would actually be more than many of these kids are currently getting. Lots of coaches are helpful - Calipari to his credit is. But many coaches are selfish and will try to keep kids in school to save their own jobs. There's too many perverse incentives for agents, scouts and coaches to mislead these kids. Often that void gets filled by AAU coaches who turn into wannabe agents or by parents who dont know what they dont know. Information should be easier and more transparent, but it would take collaboration by the NBA and NCAA to do it, not them conspiring to protect their own interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    As others have said, it wouldn't be rolling the dice so much as waiting until he has all the information. Nothing says he has to decide in April. Plus, even if nobody left, there would probably still be a starting spot at Kentucky for Shabazz. Even if both Jones and MKG decide to stay (highly unlikely IMO), Shabazz would probably start at the 2 over Lamb.
    Ok, how scary of a thought is that? I agree that it is very unlikely that either Davis or MKG sick around (let alone both) but inserting Bazz into the current UK lineup would be crazy. The defensive intensity would be off the charts and I wouldn't want to see how another year of physical maturity and strength would effect Davis' offensive abilities.

In the end I think that Davis and MKG definitely go pro and that Lamb and Teague will most likely go as well. If UK signs Noel and Bazz though, I'm not sure we are looking at a much different or less talented team next year. Part of what made them so good this year was that they all bought into the system and played really well as a "team". That aspect can be predicted with future players but from what I've seen, a Noel/Bazz tandem would look very similar to the Davis/MKG tandem that just won the NC.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I don't know much about Bennett, but from last summer's RSCI he was ranked #8 while Poythress was #19. So, out of curiosity, why do you have Poythress starting over Bennett? Did Poythress pass him over the course of this season? Is Bennett more of a "3" than a "4"?
    Actually the opposite. I think Bennett is more "5" than "4." He's an undersized C who is athletic enough to play PF. It could be that Bennett starts at the PF spot over Poythress. But what I saw in the McDonald's game suggested that Poythress was more impressive. He was an explosive athlete that I think would dominate at the PF spot - can face up, can post.

That said, I don't think there'll be an issue of getting all three of Bennett, Noel, and Muhammad. Seems more likely that Bennett will end up going elsewhere. But we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Wear is that you're saying?
    I think you "Drew" the wrong conclusion there.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by shoutingncu View Post
    4th best, surely.

If Shabazz is just waiting to see what the UK players do (which I've seen suggested many times now), I don't even know why I'm holding out hope. IMO, Anthony Davis is in the Kyrie situation: you are the consensus number 1 pick right now, you must go pro now to maximize. I don't think there's a snowball's chance in chapel hill that Davis comes back. It disappoints me, but in this day and age the thought of an elite, young team deciding to try to repeat by coming back to college for one more year is nonexistent. Even if that thought existed amongst UK players not named Davis, once Anthony leaves, their title chances diminish significantly. So I believe we'll see the typical mass exodus from UK, maybe the whole starting five. At this point I'm still hopeful for Shabazz coming to Durham, but things don't seem to be leaning our way. I keep coming back to DBR hoping for the latest tweet from Shabazz that suggests something Dukish, but holding out hope based on these UK kids staying around is gonna be difficult. Give me some good news guys!

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    4th best, surely.
    A guy who is ranked the consensus #1 in his class going somewhere and ending up as the 4th best player on his college team??

Surely, that could not ever happen.

http://rscihoops.com/

For those not spending all day on twitter ;-)

Shabazz just tweeted:
    @phenom15balla: Man signing day is coming up and this decision is getting harder and harder wish I could go to all 3 schools!

Sounds like he really may not have made up his mind yet. Or he is just playing with everybody.

I'd almost rather be dragged along at this point to make me feel like we are still having a legitimate, late in the game shot at guys like Shabazz. LeBron, give the kid a call and tell him to come play for K, you too Kobe. This is really adding nothing and I apologize, it just seems that the best parts of my life revolve around the upcoming decisions of 18 year olds. Priorities right?

Hey Shabazz, come to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I'd almost rather be dragged along at this point to make me feel like we are still having a legitimate, late in the game shot at guys like Shabazz. LeBron, give the kid a call and tell him to come play for K, you too Kobe. This is really adding nothing and I apologize, it just seems that the best parts of my life revolve around the upcoming decisions of 18 year olds. Priorities right?

Hey Shabazz, come to Duke.
    Even if it was permissable and Lebron could get away with it, I'm not sure he would put a plug for Coach K since he apparently has a close relationahip with Calipari. Besides, I'd rather have K continue to talk to Bazz when permissable because I trust and believe in Coach K's recruiting skills.

You speak as if the NCAA is meant to serve the student athlete.