Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

FWIW

Just an opinion..

It's really an unknown, but if Shabazz is only interested in being a one and done and he thinks that Kentucky is just a springboard to the NBA,
    and he doesn't feel a need to further develop his skills in the best possible enviornment, then Kentucky might be his choice.
    Someone mentiond that if Duke was his choice, why wait.. A lot of merit in this thought.

For various personal reasons, my opinion is different.

He came from a HS program, not unlike Duke, strong emphasis on the student/athlete foundation.
    When he worked out with JWill, he said in effect he wanted to get better, I believe he gets the fact, that he can develop better as a person and a player under Coach K.
    I don't believe that Kyrie's experience or Austins development will be lost in his decision.

I believe he is thoughtful enough to know he has the opportunity to develop under legendary tutelage, that he will gain not only basketball skills but the life skills he needs for his ultimate transition.

He obviously is waiting till the last minute to see the complete landscape, I would like to believe his values will rule out in the end.

This is the short version,for these an other reasons I think we may have an edge in his decision.

As always this opinion and 5 bucks will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
    Let's go DUKE !!!

One thing I would place money on after seeing Shabazz play against the supposed best graduating high schoolers is that if he came to Duke there would no longer be a need to fill any empty seats. He is so exciting and talented I believe people (students included) would be again competing to get into Cameron. I know the crowds got a lot better from the Miami game on but all games IMO would be as enthusiastic as the ones after Austin's shot put a dagger in the Hearts of the heel supporters. Hope he choses to play in Durham. Go Devils!

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    also, i don't think bate means what you think it means.
    Don't you think this was just a spelling error/typo (bate for bait), not a usage error? Just sayin'.

The ESPN writeup shows that he is an amazing kid. That he had turrets and overcame it well enough to play on this level with nothing more than pure willpower is a testament to how special he is. I hope we get him for a lot of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    The ESPN writeup shows that he is an amazing kid. That he had turrets and overcame it well enough to play on this level with nothing more than pure willpower is a testament to how special he is. I hope we get him for a lot of reasons.
    Yes, that does explain why he is great at tower defense games...

I don't know, folks. I think if UK wins it all, it further legitimizes Calipari's approach/system in the eyes of many high-level recruits, no matter what WE think. Therefore, if UK wins and Davis, MKG, and Jones all go pro, I think Bazz goes to UK (and maybe Noel, as well). In one sense, it's kind of a no-brainer. Win a national championship AND be a lottery pick? Pretty enticing.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    I don't know, folks. I think if UK wins it all, it further legitimizes Calipari's approach/system in the eyes of many high-level recruits, no matter what WE think. Therefore, if UK wins and Davis, MKG, and Jones all go pro, I think Bazz goes to UK (and maybe Noel, as well). In one sense, it's kind of a no-brainer. Win a national championship AND be a lottery pick? Pretty enticing.
    shabazz muhammad ‏ @phenom15balla Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Watching the UK game go catssss!!!!

i totally agree....even if winning the natty is not really guaranteed, it certainly makes a case for a greater possibility...

ugh...come on Kansas....ROCK CHALK...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Yes, that does explain why he is great at tower defense games...
    You made me inhale my coffee and start to choke. Tsk tsk.

Never use winning as a gauge because on the other hand you have schools like NC State, Arizona, and Michigan who have landed big time recruits without winning much at all recently. Go figure...

But what you're saying is pretty much what Duke is selling Shabazz as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mapleleafdevil View Post
    shabazz muhammad ‏ @phenom15balla Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Watching the UK game go catssss!!!!
    is this a sign? doesn't look good for us/ucla

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    is this a sign? doesn't look good for us/ucla
    Doubt it. Now rooting for LOUISVILLE might have been something to talk about.

Even I was rooting for Kentucky by the end of the game. Doron Lamb was amazingly up and down and you still felt like they would find a way. They just always had an answer. Literally everyone on that team pulled their weight in a business like manner - even the reserves. It was pretty amazing and confident basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Never use winning as a gauge
    My man, winning is what drives much of American culture. Sad but true. And, yes, I know you're speaking in a recruiting context, but it's the same story there, to a degree.

Just look at what's happening in sports these days. The formation of super-conferences, the Miami Heat (or Clippers/Knicks/Nets) syndrome and the current UK lovefest. We can all deride Calipari and his approach, but it's hard to argue with results (lottery/national exposure/potential championships). The guy could potentially be in the running for national championships EVERY YEAR, to a degree that we (or UNC, or whoever) can't quite match.

It's wonderful and terrible to contemplate. I gotta admit, I LOVE watching UK.

bump.....

still hoping that Shabazz brings his "talents" to duke....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

My man, winning is what drives much of American culture. Sad but true. And, yes, I know you're speaking in a recruiting context, but it's the same story there, to a degree.

Just look at what's happening in sports these days. The formation of super-conferences, the Miami Heat (or Clippers/Knicks/Nets) syndrome and the current UK lovefest. We can all deride Calipari and his approach, but it's hard to argue with results (lottery/national exposure/potential championships). The guy could potentially be in the running for national championships EVERY YEAR, to a degree that we (or UNC, or whoever) can't quite match.

It's wonderful and terrible to contemplate. I gotta admit, I LOVE watching UK.
    I'm not a Calipari fan, nor very partial to the Big Blue horde of obsessed fans, but I like the basketball that this year's team is playing.

But who's to say their team next year will be fun to watch? They'll have a major rebuilding (call it re-loading) task, though likely with 3 or more of the top 10 incoming freshmen.
    So they'll be good, but different. I didn't like the Wall/Cousins version of the Wildcats, so there's no guarantee next year's team will be a pleasure to watch just from a basketball standpoint.

Need to keep history in mind

The guy (Calipari) could potentially be in the running for national championships EVERY YEAR, to a degree that we (or UNC, or whoever) can't quite match.
    How easy it is to forget Duke's own history. From 1986 until 1994 Coach K had figured out how to get to the Final Four in all but two years. So before we view Calipari's "system" at UK as untouchable by other programs let's give it some time. A lot can change in just a few years once other coaches also figure out how to deal with kids that want to play for one year and then go to the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    How easy it is to forget Duke's own history. From 1986 until 1994 Coach K had figured out how to get to the Final Four in all but two years. So before we view Calipari's "system" at UK as untouchable by other programs let's give it some time. A lot can change in just a few years once other coaches also figure out how to deal with kids that want to play for one year and then go to the NBA.
    Luck also plays an important factor, quite frankly. "The Shot" was amazing, but I hardly call that a reliable strategy for making the Final Four every year =). Luck has abandoned Duke at other times. It wouldn't take much to make '86, '94, '99, and even '04 championship seasons while '91, '92, '10 were seasons of what-could've-been.

Also, let's not forget that Terrance Jones plays a big role in why this UK team is in the title game. His freshman season was JUST unimpressive enough that he didn't make the leap. Without Jones, they'd be a little thin upfront and might not even be in the Title Game.

Finally, one year the incoming recruits really might go elsewhere, or at least go elsewhere in large enough numbers to leave the Cats really shorthanded. Let's say Jones made the leap last year and one of MKG and Davis went elsewhere. Something similar happening in the future is far from a remote possibility. UK would be an entirely different team.

Come to think of it, Jones was THIS close to ending up at Washington. If that had happened, last year's team would probably not have made the Final Four and this year's team would probably have had a tougher time getting there, as well.

My man, winning is what drives much of American culture. Sad but true.
    To compete, pursue and achieve excellence in athletics or any other endeavor is a great thing, not a sad thing, provided people compete fairly and with good sportsmanship and grace.

Maybe we're saying the same thing, that there is absolutely nothing wrong or sad with striving to win, so long as it is done THE RIGHT WAY.

This approach in some sports where those controlling the activities, for example, refuse to keep score and reward only participation with no recognition for performing well makes me want to throw up. There is nothing wrong with competing and winning.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Or how, when we lost Brand, Maggette, and Avery to the NBA we instantly reloaded with J-Dubs, Mikey D, and Boozer. And when they left, we instantly brought in 6 more recruits, including JJ and Shelden, with Luol Deng (best HS player not named LeBron) and Kris Humphries ready to come in 2004. And the #2 player (Livingston) in 2005. That was a pretty obscene run of talent we kept loading up with, and you never would have thought after the 2004 loss to UConn that we wouldn't sniff the Final Four again until 2010.

Just goes to show that everything in college bball is cyclical. Kentucky will always be a force on the basketball scene, but I'm hard-pressed to believe this wrinkle will be a seismic shift...

Quote Originally Posted by turnandburn55 View Post
    Or how, when we lost Brand, Maggette, and Avery to the NBA we instantly reloaded with J-Dubs, Mikey D, and Boozer. And when they left, we instantly brought in 6 more recruits, including JJ and Shelden, with Luol Deng (best HS player not named LeBron) and Kris Humphries ready to come in 2004. And the #2 player (Livingston) in 2005. That was a pretty obscene run of talent we kept loading up with, and you never would have thought after the 2004 loss to UConn that we wouldn't sniff the Final Four again until 2010.
    But neither of those guys came to Duke. It's almost like claiming that we should include Barnes and John Wall as ours simply cuz we recruited them right up to the end. Still, your overall point is valid, we recruited a great amount of talent throughout that time.