Page 18 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I'm not sure when K began recruiting Kyrie, but it's not like Kyrie was unknown before his senior season. In the RSCI summer 2009 rankings (for the 2010 class), Kyrie was ranked #4 overall, albeit the 2nd highest ranked PG behind #3 Knight.
    I have a college basketball magazine right here that i got when Kyrie was a junior (rising senior) and Kyrie was barely in the top 100 and Knight was ranked number 1 with Selby ranked number 2.

From Watzone

Mark Watson ‏ @BlueDevilNation
    Shabazz on Duke: "They definitely helped themselves in the recruiting process. I feel extremely comfortable with (Coach K)."

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I have a college basketball magazine right here that i got when Kyrie was a junior (rising senior) and Kyrie was barely in the top 100 and Knight was ranked number 1 with Selby ranked number 2.
    What was the date on that magazine? Because by September 2009, Kyrie was top 6 overall (2nd best PG) in all the major recruiting services except Rivals (where he was 9th and 3rd).

I may have been underestimating kyrie's stock when we started recruiting him. Fair enough. I still contend though that he might not have been the #1 pick had he gone to a different school. A lot of people seem to think that these elite talents just roll out of bed and perform at they level they do, and that coaching is irrelevant, and I disagree.

Awesome quote to hear regarding Shabazz. Sounds like we're very much in the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I do recall Kyrie being ranked very low compared to where he wound up. It seems like recruiting rankings get updated about twice a year, usually during the midst of the high school season and again after the summer circuit. I'm not sure when Kyrie started moving up, but I do recall he was consensus top 10 (if not top 5) after the summer.

http://highschoolhoop.com/recruiting...ise-superstar/
    http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1082083.html

Duke started recruiting Kyrie long before the summer going into his Senior year, which is when he really just blew up. If I am remembering correctly, we got on board the preceding fall when he was just starting at St. Pat's. There was a lot of buzz about Kyrie, but he was definitely not as highly thought of at the time. I feel like he was more of a late teens to mid 20's type recruit. I wish recruiting services would store their old rankings, but I can't find any pre-Summer '09 rankings of Kyrie to back me up. This is all just from my memory.

Mark Your Calendars

It appears we have an exact date and time of his announcment LINK

April 11th at 9am PST - which would be high noon in Durham.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    It appears we have an exact date and time of his announcment LINK

April 11th at 9am PST - which would be high noon in Durham.
    Hmmmm....forgive me while I think out loud.

So, if he set an announcement date, does that mean he has already decided on his school?

If he has, 3 weeks is a long time in this "media" age.

Is this going to be the NCAA's worst kept secret?

Ok, thinking process is over...I will never understand the teenage mind.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post

So, if he set an announcement date, does that mean he has already decided on his school?

April 10th is the NCAA Early Entry “Withdrawal” Deadline and April 11 is the first day of the Spring Signing period.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post

Well, there is actually one scenario in which this makes perfect sense. The NCAA deadline for athletes to withdraw from the NBA draft if they want to preserve their eligibility is April 10. Let's imagine Shabazz knows what his first choice is, assuming a given player at that school decides to enter the draft (or, perhaps but less likely, decides to stay in school). And he knows what his second choice is if that doesn't happen. Then he would be ready to announce on April 11, but possibly not before then.
    Oops, I see roywhite beat me to this.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Well, there is actually one scenario in which this makes perfect sense. The NCAA deadline for athletes to withdraw from the NBA draft if they want to preserve their eligibility is April 10. Let's imagine Shabazz knows what his first choice is, assuming a given player at that school decides to enter the draft (or, perhaps but less likely, decides to stay in school). And he knows what his second choice is if that doesn't happen. Then he would be ready to announce on April 11, but possibly not before then.
    Oops, I see roywhite beat me to this.
    Thank you (and Roy)! I was aware of the deadline; I'm just analytical, so this stuff is fun for me. Trying to pick the minds' of teenagers is something I do on a daily basis as a special education teacher of 13-14 year olds. They never cease to amaze me!

For the most part, we would assume that we would know most of the entries by that date. I really only follow Duke guys, and I can't remember if anyone waited until the last possible day to declare. Perhaps someone knows that info better than me.

In any case, this date is what a lot of posters had speculated before. Just seems odd that they would announce an announcement day 3 weeks in advance. (And yes, I know we've seen stranger things! )

I mean, there are certain times when a player doesn't even know the school he's going to choose the day of the announcement a la Terrence Jones who said he basically just picked a hat (Washington, but then Calipari convinced him otherwise...). So, it makes sense that Shabazz is setting himself a deadline to make a choice without having already made the decision, but I'm sure he has some leanings right now. Hope we hear good news! Seems like he's kept it pretty close to the vest thus far.

I just saw that Kidd-Gilchrist from Kentucky announced that he is leaving for the NBA after this season. I wasn't surprised by this, but I thought the timing was a little odd - it's rare that a guy announces while his team is still playing. And then I got to wondering, is it possible that his teammates and coach already knew he was leaving and he made an official announcement solely for the purpose of helping Kentucky with their incoming recruits? Like maybe Shabazz? Ugh, I hope not...

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I just saw that Kidd-Gilchrist from Kentucky announced that he is leaving for the NBA after this season. I wasn't surprised by this, but I thought the timing was a little odd - it's rare that a guy announces while his team is still playing. And then I got to wondering, is it possible that his teammates and coach already knew he was leaving and he made an official announcement solely for the purpose of helping Kentucky with their incoming recruits? Like maybe Shabazz? Ugh, I hope not...

Remember that story that came out a few years ago where I think it was Cousins' mom that came out and said she was dissapointed in Calipari because she felt he pushed DeMarcus to declare for the draft? I agree though that the timing was quite odd. Maybe Calipari does push his players to declare for the draft considering MKG was quoted as saying he would not be a one-and-done.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    The report on ESPN was "sources saying" that MKG was declaring - not that he himself announced. I thought it was poor form for Chad Ford to run the news that "sources" say he is leaving while Kentucky is still alive in the tournament (and, for that matter, poor form on the part of the sources for leaking the news while the tourney is still going).
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Sources say...

MKG also just tweeted he hadn't made his decision yet...I think Chad Forde was a little quick on the draw with that one.

At this point, I see no reason for him to NOT go pro, just as I thought it was wise for Cousins to go as well. Not sure Cal "forcing" players out is a bad idea. Why risk another year of play at the college level when you can do what you have always dreamed of and get paid to do it.

If you are a writer for the Chronicle and a mentor pushes you to take a once in a lifetime opportunity as a journalist with a major media group after your freshman year (whether this is realistic or not is irrelevant), you take it. Jay Bilas made a similar point recently, that if someone leaves college early to follow their passion it isn't frowned upon...unless that passion and dream is to play in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by 2008grad View Post
    MKG also just tweeted he hadn't made his decision yet...I think Chad Forde was a little quick on the draw with that one.

At this point, I see no reason for him to NOT go pro, just as I thought it was wise for Cousins to go as well. Not sure Cal "forcing" players out is a bad idea. Why risk another year of play at the college level when you can do what you have always dreamed of and get paid to do it.

If you are a writer for the Chronicle and a mentor pushes you to take a once in a lifetime opportunity as a journalist with a major media group after your freshman year (whether this is realistic or not is irrelevant), you take it. Jay Bilas made a similar point recently, that if someone leaves college early to follow their passion it isn't frowned upon...unless that passion and dream is to play in the NBA.
    It actually worked out okay for Bill Gates, too, though who knows what people said at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 2008grad View Post

While it may appear to be honarable on Cal's part to push players out to take advantage of incredibel opportunities, I think it's also serves Cal's best interest for MKG to leave. Afterall, the chances of getting Shabazz most likely reduces if MKG stays. Since the foundation of his program is based on one and done players, ti would mess everything up if players like MKG were to stay for an additional season or two with respect to future one and done talents Cal recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    While it may appear to be honarable on Cal's part to push players out to take advantage of incredibel opportunities, I think it's also serves Cal's best interest for MKG to leave. Afterall, the chances of getting Shabazz most likely reduces if MKG stays. Since the foundation of his program is based on one and done players, ti would mess everything up if players like MKG were to stay for an additional season or two with respect to future one and done talents Cal recruits.
    I am in no way a Calipari fan or apologist, but one of the reasons for their success this season (and the primary reason why most pundits pick them to win it all) is the fact that he has some sophs and a senior leader in the form of Darius Miller on the roster this year. Knowing what I've read about Cal, I'm sure he can make a compelling argument to a recruit of the need for both MKG and Shabazz and I don't agree that "it would mess everything up" if MKG stayed. Obviously, the way Cal runs his program is enticing to one-and-doners, but I don't think it's at the expense of encouraging kids to leave if they want to stay.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    Just to clarify, at this point it helps Cal's chances to have a story "leak out" that indicates that MKG is likely to go pro. Whether he ultimately leaves, at this point, is almost secondary. MKG hasn't said anything yet, to my knowledge. But if 'bazz and company get the perception that he's likely gone, well then, that accomplishes what Cal wants -- enticing SM's interest. If MKG surprises and stays, say if KY loses in the NCAAT, well then nothing is ultimately lost for Cal... (as with most schools, having the super vet stay is at least as good as landing the super recruit).