Page 13 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Airowe has stated, on another forum, that it appears that the Kentucky staff may have been the ones to have brought this to the attention of the NCAA. Why they would do this is anyones speculation.
    Apparently that Enos Kanter'player thing stuck in someones craw.
    This is the recruiting equivalent of a err... uhm.. I'll go with "clock-block"

It says something about UK's confidence in landing him.
    It sets them up to use a double standard argument of "How come they can get away with it and we cant?"

I smell Poythress type shenanigans all over this... I think we are too far in on this one to let it go because of this. This cant be the 1st time in the history of the world this kind of thing has happened. If the Miami the dude has to "payback travel costs" and all is forgiven; why wouldn't that be the situation here as a worst case?

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    Maybe. But there are just so many worse things going on out there. Some athletes are rumored to be pulling in hundreds of thousands of dollars. Some kids go on inexplicable shopping sprees and deck themselves out in "gifted" jewelry. Some kids are even doing drugs and abusing their own teammates, both mentally and physically. And Shabazz Muhammad is guilty of... going to see a college campus? With a little financial help from a family friend? Which they also reported openly, before the fact? I see nothing "shady" here.
    I don't disagree that this is probably a minor incident which will probably only require Bazz to repay the family friend for the travel expenses (if even that) but the circumstances of not one but to financial advisers financially assisting a probably lottery pick is a red flag that the ncaa probably should investigate (at least given the current rules). My response was to the post prior to mine that was ranting about the $&(@(^@ ncaa. I don't have a problem with the investigation, it seems warranted. I'll wait until the verdict is handed down before I start blaming the ncaa.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post

It sets them up to use a double standard argument of "How come they can get away with it and we cant?"

I smell Poythress type shenanigans all over this... I think we are too far in on this one to let it go because of this. This cant be the 1st time in the history of the world this kind of thing has happened. If the Miami the dude has to "payback travel costs" and all is forgiven; why wouldn't that be the situation here as a worst case?
    What kind of shenanigans went on with Poythress? I don't remember hearing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    What kind of shenanigans went on with Poythress? I don't remember hearing anything.
    There was some talk of an inappropriate phone call between Duke and Alex. It turned out to be nothing but some felt that the hint of impropriety was enough to push Alex and Duke apart.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    Allegedly UK leaked this nugget about contact in a "dead period" so Duke would back off recruiting this guy.
    It was an NCAA grey area and Duke backed off recruiting him taking the high road. Ultimately he signed/commuted to UK.

Here is more background.

There was some talk of an inappropriate phone call between Duke and Alex. It turned out to be nothing but some felt that the hint of impropriety was enough to push Alex and Duke apart.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I was thinking that KY had pulled something but that make sense.

Allegedly UK leaked this nugget about contact in a "dead period" so Duke would back off recruiting this guy.
    It was an NCAA grey area and Duke backed off recruiting him taking the high road. Ultimately he signed/commuted to UK.

Here is more background.
    I didn't recall the allegation that UK was the source of that leak in the poythress case. Is that true? Wow, if this is all true, that dude is relentless in finding new ways to be slimey...

It turned out to be nothing but some felt that the hint of impropriety was enough to push Alex and Duke apart.
    I trust the staff to be all over this to make sure there is nothing in appropriate.
    Shelden Williams had an incident in HS prior to his enrolling at Duke and and the Staff stood by him.
    So I have no doubt that if this is smoke and mirrors posturing; we will keep pursuing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    The reporting of it is only popping up now. Right before Shabazz's visit to Tobacco Road.
    And right after his visit to KU in which by some accounts, it appeared that he and his dad came away very impressed with the KU program. This appararent "leak" or reporting of information can not only affect Shabazz's recuritment by Duke, but also by programs like KU and UCLA because of the Addidas ties and implications. That said, I am confident that Duke will continue to do their own investigation and research into Bazz's recrutiment (like they do for any recruitment); and any decisions that meke in regards to recruiting Bazz will be based upon their own fact-gathering. I personally respect and appreciate that Bazz and his family have been completely honest and forthright with all of this; and they do appear to be trying to hide anything. Through what's been reported, they've demonstrated a willingness to take ownership and responsibiity of anything that would be deemed wrong or inappropriate (although they believe they haven't done anything wrong). I hope Duke ends up sticking with Bazz because while he may be focused on creating his "brand" for the NBA, I think he will embrace his time at whichever school he decides to attend just like Kyrie did.

Another issue or point should be made in regards to the "possible" reporting of this information to the NCAA by a program like Kentucky, it could be a way for a "shady" program imo like Kentucky to get back at the NCAA by putting the squeeze on them for the NCAA ruling Kentucky's recurit from last year ineligible. And if Bazz ends up going to another school like Duke and he is ruled eligible to play, Kentucky could then come back whining and complainng about be treated unfairly and picked on by the NCAA (and a favorable biased towards programs like Duke) by rulling their kid ineligible for taking improper financial benefits while allowing this other kid, who in their minds did the same thing, to play for a program like Duke (eventhough that Kentucky kid was proven to have been a paid professional athlete in Turkey for basketball, which is far different from what the supposed financial benefits Bazz received).

You beat me to it...Exactly, either way, it could be construed as a strategic tactic by a program like Kentucky. If ti scares the other teams away from him, they they look good in that recrut's eyes (and future recruits) by sticking by him thru thick and thin; and if they don't get him and he is ruled eligible, then Kentucky will think they have ammunitiion to use against the NCAA.

Here is more background.
    To be fair, Didn't Duke back off his recruitment because he wanted to be a perimeter 3 instead of a 4 (which is what Duke wanted him to be)? Duke already had overlap at the 3 position with MG and Alex; and they also chose to focus on recrutitng Mitch who was a similar but considered a better player at the time than Alex.

It seems to me that, from the initial reports, this is close to a non-issue with the worst-case scenario being the family paying back a few hundred bucks in travel expenses. I'm not so sure about the grand conspiracy regarding 'Bazz and Calipari, either, because if I were a recruit I'd be incredibly peeved if a program tried to draw a cloud of suspicion over me based on something that was done above-board with the NCAA. That would not make me want to go to that school and would absolutely confirm that the coach does not have my own best interests at heart. Even if such a shady tactic works in keeping Duke and UNC away, I fail to see how it would steer him toward Lexington. Am I missing something?

You know

If we are throwing out the possibility that these leaks may be some kind of smear campaign, then I am sure that the thought has also occurred to Shabazz and his family. They're not stupid.

If that is what is happening, well, one of these days things will boil over and there will be fried calimari for all to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    To be fair, Didn't Duke back off his recruitment because he wanted to be a perimeter 3 instead of a 4 (which is what Duke wanted him to be)? Duke already had overlap at the 3 position with MG and Alex; and they also chose to focus on recrutitng Mitch who was a similar but considered a better player at the time than Alex.
    That may be very true - but why would another school seek to intentionally stir the pot that way?
    If the reasons you state are absolute, then there was would be no reason for them to resort to such tactics, right?

That may be very true - but why would another school seek to intentionally stir the pot that way?
    If the reasons you state are absolute, then there was would be no reason for them to resort to such tactics, right?
    If the assertion that Calipari was trying to derail the recuritment of Alex to Duke, He would do it regardless because he wouldn't necessrily know that Duke wanted Alex to be a 4 while Alex wanted to be a 3; and that it would become a sticking point for Duke. That said, your conjecture makes a lot of sensoe; but it would wory me if that were true in regards to Duke's recrutiment of Bazz. If K and Duke backed off of Alex out of concern for potentially getting into recruting violations for something as silly as a phone call between tournaments, then wouldn't it potentially deter Duke from continuing to recruit Bazz due to circumstances that are far more serious than what occurred wiht Alex?

Personally, I'd like to think the staff would never allow their decisions to be influenced by potentially shady recruiting tactics.

Worth Noting

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    That is my sneaking suspicion, yes.

If Calipari can taint Shabazz's name, he'll get the blueboods to back off...knowing full well that Kentucky has no problem with pursuing someone with some question marks by their name. Kentucky will then be able to keep the full court press on while others back off, so Kentucky can then say, "We stuck with you when times got tough. No one else did. Come to Kentucky."
    It's worth noting that Gary Parrish shares the by-line on the Muhammad article. At his best, Parrish is an unabashed Calipari cheerleader. At worst, he's an out-and-out mouthpiece.

If UK's fingerprints are on this, it's through Parrish, although it's a little ham handed if true. It's not terribly hard to see the connection if you've followed Parrish on twitter or paid attention to his defenses of Cal in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    If the assertion that Calipari was trying to derail the recuritment of Alex to Duke, He would do it regardless because he wouldn't necessrily know that Duke wanted Alex to be a 4 while Alex wanted to be a 3; and that it would become a sticking point for Duke. That said, your conjecture makes a lot of sensoe; but it would wory me if that were true in regards to Duke's recrutiment of Bazz. If K and Duke backed off of Alex out of concern for potentially getting into recruting violations for something as silly as a phone call between tournaments, then wouldn't it potentially deter Duke from continuing to recruit Bazz due to circumstances that are far more serious than what occurred wiht Alex?

Personally, I'd like to think the staff would never allow their decisions to be influenced by potentially shady recruiting tactics.
    And the 3 vs 4 debate has some ring of plausibility to it as a possibility for backing off AP.

I know when Shelden Williams was in HS he had a bit of cloud coming in to Duke. There were concerns to outsiders. Self included. The staff was able to mete it out and it became a non issue moving forward. If there is anything to it besides BS and smoke - I trust the staff to make the right move with Bazz.

I doubt a rumor/allegation is enuff to bluff the staff in calling it off by itself. They may do it anyway. But it will be for reasons other than this. Bazz may go somewhere else, but it wont be because of this.

I doubt a rumor/allegation is enuff to bluff the staff in calling it off by itself. They may do it anyway. But it will be for reasons other than this. Bazz may go somewhere else, but it wont be because of this.
    You mean that it won't be DUKE'S reason that he may go somewhere else. I doubt, if there is truth to the Kentucky angle, that scaring off K and Roy was ever a realistic hope. The hope would be that Kentucky would be the easiest route for Shabazz to take.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Dingleberry View Post
    If we are throwing out the possibility that these leaks may be some kind of smear campaign, then I am sure that the thought has also occurred to Shabazz and his family. They're not stupid.
    Look at it this way - of all the parties that *could* have leaked this story, Duke is clearly the one least likely to do so, simply because of the timing. So we have that going for us.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I doubt, if there is truth to the Kentucky angle, that scaring off K and Roy was ever a realistic hope.
    But is there truth to the Kentucky angle? Maybe someone can help me out here, but so far I haven't seen anything except unbounded speculation. Personally, I'm gonna go ahead and reserve judgment until I can see some hard evidence. Or even, for that matter, soft evidence.