Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    If a kid is seriously considering UNLV, I can't see him picking Duke.
    He's from Las Vegas. Give the kid a break for liking the hometown team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    And his coach is the UNLV coach's brother. Didn't work out so well for Bruce Weber though...

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    And his coach is the UNLV coach's brother. Didn't work out so well for Bruce Weber though...
    And the PF on his team is a 2012 UNLV commit.

Plus... it is a top 15 team that, aside from its PG, will only lose a SF from it's starting 5, and add a 2011 #11 RSCI beast in Khem Birch and USC transfer Bryce Johnson. Assuming they maintain decent chemistry, they'd be a very real contender with Bazz next year.

Never underestimate the hometown team. A high percentage of transfers end up back with the hometown squad.

Additionally, UNLV has gone very far in restoring their pride and tradition. They've made the tourney an impressive 4 of the last 5 years. And I'm pretty sure that Shabazz would be a break through like no other. Obviously they would give him the keys and he would be their version of a Kyrie. Throw in the tremendous hometown love he's getting and a beat down of UNC - that now has to be TOPPED by Duke - and you now have a foot in the game.

He's quite aware that where he goes will change the college landscape. He even goes as far to say that he's in the driver's seat in his Slam diary.

Just an opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Never underestimate the hometown team. A high percentage of transfers end up back with the hometown squad.

Additionally, UNLV has gone very far in restoring their pride and tradition. They've made the tourney an impressive 4 of the last 5 years. And I'm pretty sure that Shabazz would be a break through like no other. Obviously they would give him the keys and he would be their version of a Kyrie. Throw in the tremendous hometown love he's getting and a beat down of UNC - that now has to be TOPPED by Duke - and you now have a foot in the game.

He's quite aware that where he goes will change the college landscape. He even goes as far to say that he's in the driver's seat in his Slam diary.
    I agree about UNLV restoring pride and tradition and believe D Rice will do it with integrity, and I wish them well!
    For decades I was the "local heretic", just never bought it to that win at any cost mentality, at the expense of the "student"/athletes !

But thats not the reason for this post, I hesitated on posting because I watched the prep games in Mass the other day, I saw Calipari sitting next to WoJo,then K, the JCapel! Wasn't sure if there were other Shabazz interested schools there or not! So I didn't mention anything cause I wasn't paying that close of attention!

On the surface it would appear that he's playing for GRice and going to UNLV (hometown) to play for DRice would be a possible slam dunk! I'm just not convinced!

When JWill was announcing and explained how he worked out Shabazz and he kept asking for more, he wanted to get better, and Shabazz's comments relative to the last visits by Duke and Kentucky and what it meant to him personally!
    I know I'm reading between the lines here, and nothing against UNLV or DRice, I believe he (Shabazz) wants to be on the biggest stage, playing with the best athletes, with the most proven coaching,as possible! I agree he thinks he can have it all, and I'm just not personally convinced he believes UNLV is it!

I have no other information, just this opinion and I thought I would post a link to this article today!
    It goes a long way in helping to define DRice the man and coach, but might show a "bit" of naivete!

It could be one of 3 things, (1) thats his philosophy and he's sticking to it,(2) he thinks UNLV is a lock and doesn't need to be there, (3) he believes there is no chance!!

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/rice-s-fo...137523873.html

I think it really is going to come down to how much he thinks he can gain and how quickly at whichever place he may choose!

Just an opinion!
    Let's go DUKE !!!

If I am not mistaken didn't Harrison Barnes keep his hometown in it? Wasn't his final three: Iowa, Duke and UNC? I think they usually just let the hometown team recruit them because they feel obligated to.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    If I am not mistaken didn't Harrison Barnes keep his hometown in it? Wasn't his final three: Iowa, Duke and UNC? I think they usually just let the hometown team recruit them because they feel obligated to.
    I'm not sure but I do know Harrison is from Ames, which is Iowa State.

Iowa is in Iowa City. Very different places.

His mother worked at Iowa State and they were one of his finalist.

Tell that to Joe Jackson at Memphis or Mitch McGary who just committed to Michigan. I could go on...

Yea, I dont think you can say it's 100% true either way, some big name players stay home others don't just depends on the kid. I haven't got a real good feel for Shabazz yet so I can't say what I think he'll do. What I do know is that UNLV has had a very good year so far and is on it's way up right now. So it's not like saying he'll be playing at a lower level program if he stays home, they could easily be title contenders with him next year IMO.

But is just winning and making a name for himseld what he is looking for? Or is he looking for the program that can develope him the best before he goes off to the NBA, if that is the case I believe he will end up somehwere besides UNLV.

Not that it matters, but Barnes's final three were UNC, Duke, and KU. He kept Iowa St in it to help boost their national rep.

Btw... Shabazz is visiting KU next month. Zero chance he comes to Lawrence to play, but it's always nice to get a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Tell that to Joe Jackson at Memphis or Mitch McGary who just committed to Michigan. I could go on...
    Yes but most kids do not choose to stay home and play (highly rated kids) unless the program nearby is a power house or has a chance at winning. Both those cases there teams have a good shot at a national title (or they thought they would).

Yes but most kids do not choose to stay home and play (highly rated kids) unless the program nearby is a power house or has a chance at winning. Both those cases there teams have a good shot at a national title (or they thought they would).
    A quick perusal of this year's top 30 will show that not only are top recruits picking the home team - they aren't going very far if they don't. Only a few have opted to go cross country. ALL of NC State's commits are from North Carolina - including one Rodney Purvis. Arizona has a sick FOUR in the top 36 - very Fab 5ish - guess who would make it complete?

http://www.masslive.com/hoophallclas...date_shab.html

The kid has got some SERIOUS options. I doubt I could pick...

Quote Originally Posted by TexHawk View Post
    Not that it matters, but Barnes's final three were UNC, Duke, and KU.
    IMHO, HWNSNBM's past, present and future picks were "unc", "unc", and "UNC"....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Relative recruiting info..

A couple of links to curent stories!
    Not sure it will have a major effect on Shabazz's decision, but thought you might be interested,
    Probably isn't national news!!

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012...ead-rivals-an/

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012...nlv-has-built/
    Let's go DUKE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    IMHO, HWNSNBM's past, present and future picks were "unc", "unc", and "UNC"....
    Shouldn't that read: "IMHO, hwnsnbm's past, present and future picks were "unc", "unc", and "UNC"...."?

So if Austin Rivers stays and Shabazz comes then we willl have Rivers and Shabazz on the wings...wow

"HWNSNBM"

I believe that sets a new standard for inside chatter that others can't understand.
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

I thought for sure he was gonna head to UCLA with Parker and Anderson . I just couldn't think of any other reason Anderson would go across country, but that seems to be falling apart a little bit. I dont think UNLV was really on the radar until they started playing well this year and then landed Khem Birch. I really want him to play for Duke but Id much rather him end up at UNLV then to ever have to see him in a Wildcat jersey (either one!)

Duke will give Bazz thair last on campus effort this weekend - http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/02/t...tship-of-bazz/ There will be several visitors including Jefferson, Pinson and Sulaimon. The bottom line is that Duke is still listed by Shabazz and he is looking forward to the visit. I hope the Drazies are ready for the list of visitors is longer.