Page 27 of 48 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I'd almost rather be dragged along at this point to make me feel like we are still having a legitimate, late in the game shot at guys like Shabazz. LeBron, give the kid a call and tell him to come play for K, you too Kobe. This is really adding nothing and I apologize, it just seems that the best parts of my life revolve around the upcoming decisions of 18 year olds. Priorities right?

Hey Shabazz, come to Duke.
    Agreed, maybe we could get Kevin Love to call him too. He's played almost as much for Coach K as he has for Howland and I remember hearing either him or someone else talk about the big part Love's time with K and USA basketball played in the leap he's made the past couple years. [Of course this is all hypothetical and in a world with none of the NCAA recruiting rules]

I don't think we can read anything negative into this dragging out. People have made the comment a few times that if he honestly prefers Duke, why hasn't he committed. The other side of that is if actually prefers UCLA or Kentucky, why wouldn't he have committed to one of them. He's probably leaning toward one of the three, but perhaps he really hasn't made a decision. Based on what I've read about Shabazz and heard in his interviews, he seems more Kobe than LeBron and wants to win on both the team and individual levels. The Kentucky model might give him the best chance to win an NCAA title next year, but if he can lead Duke or UCLA to a title he's got the chance to be more than just another one and done. Granted Carmelo Anthony was a year before the one and done rule, but I guarantee in a few years, casual fans are going to remember him taking Syracuse all the way more than any of Calipari's one and dones. And, since Syracuse is out of it, why not use some USA basketball connections and have Melo, the only one and done I can think of to win a national title and to play for Coach K, call up Bazz and tell him about it?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    A guy who is ranked the consensus #1 in his class going somewhere and ending up as the 4th best player on his college team??

Surely, that could not ever happen.
    5th best. McAdoo's ahead of him. [CDu will confirm this....]

Quote Originally Posted by dcdevil2009 View Post
    Agreed, maybe we could get Kevin Love to call him too. He's played almost as much for Coach K as he has for Howland and I remember hearing either him or someone else talk about the big part Love's time with K and USA basketball played in the leap he's made the past couple years. [Of course this is all hypothetical and in a world with none of the NCAA recruiting rules]

I don't think we can read anything negative into this dragging out. People have made the comment a few times that if he honestly prefers Duke, why hasn't he committed. The other side of that is if actually prefers UCLA or Kentucky, why wouldn't he have committed to one of them. He's probably leaning toward one of the three, but perhaps he really hasn't made a decision. Based on what I've read about Shabazz and heard in his interviews, he seems more Kobe than LeBron and wants to win on both the team and individual levels. The Kentucky model might give him the best chance to win an NCAA title next year, but if he can lead Duke or UCLA to a title he's got the chance to be more than just another one and done. Granted Carmelo Anthony was a year before the one and done rule, but I guarantee in a few years, casual fans are going to remember him taking Syracuse all the way more than any of Calipari's one and dones. And, since Syracuse is out of it, why not use some USA basketball connections and have Melo, the only one and done I can think of to win a national title and to play for Coach K, call up Bazz and tell him about it?
    Carmelo won the national title in 2003... The first year of one and done was 2006. Greg Oden and Kevin Durant graduated high school in 2006 but weren't eligible for the NBA draft until 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Carmelo won the national title in 2003... The first year of one and done was 2006. Greg Oden and Kevin Durant graduated high school in 2006 but weren't eligible for the NBA draft until 2007.
    Thanks for the correction. I'd fix it but, I can't edit my post. But regardless of when Melo was at Syracuse in relation to the rule, I don't think Kentucky's win necessarily hurts us with Shabazz if he wants to win and leave his stamp on college basketball. Kentucky might be the safe choice for Shabazz, and even though Duke might be more of a challenge, the upside is that he could win a title at Duke and go down as the first person people remember about college basketball in 2012-2013. Using an NBA analogy, Kentucky would be like LeBron joining the Heat, but Duke is like Durant signing an extension with OKC or D-Rose winning the MVP in Chicago. For those not following the NBA, Chicago and OKC both have better records than Miami.

I think we have a legitimate shot at Bazz

Check out him wearing all this Duke gear http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m52x6...utu.be&t=1m20s

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I think we have a legitimate shot at Bazz

Check out him wearing all this Duke gear http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m52x6...utu.be&t=1m20s
    Keep in mind that this video was posted about 6 months ago. I hope you're right though

Quote Originally Posted by wtm001 View Post
    Keep in mind that this video was posted about 6 months ago. I hope you're right though
    Think about it, man. He is announcing on 4/11...4+1+1 = 6, and 6 months ago he was wearing Duke gear. He's been planning this move since day 1. The writing is on the wall, code deciphered, he's in the bag!

Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles4Eva View Post
    Think about it, man. He is announcing on 4/11...4+1+1 = 6, and 6 months ago he was wearing Duke gear. He's been planning this move since day 1. The writing is on the wall, code deciphered, he's in the bag!
    HE is?

the announcement

I hope that people aren't reading too much into the timing of the announcement -- or the delay before it.

Shabazz -- and several otyher top players -- are holding off their announcements until the big signing day show on ESPN. That's the way of the moefrn worlds -- players like to make a big splash ... remember the Black Falcon and his infamous skype (live on ESPNU) ... remember LeBron and his "I'm taking my talents to South Beach" on a national network.

It's quite possible that Shabazz knows where he's going ... it's just that the rest of us have to wait until April 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    ... it's just that the rest of us have to wait until April 11.
    That's just a week from today. What's the big deal?

How much will people freak out if he changes his mind and decides to wait until April 30?

Is Cal One (championship) and Done?

Well, hopefully this'll happen before April 11th

Frank Isola ‏ @FisolaNYDN
    Lot of NBA people believe John Calipari to the Knicks is already being set into motion.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post

Lot of NBA people believe John Calipari to the Knicks is already being set into motion.
    I would laugh so hard if that were to happen. I would feel for the kids though who signed up to play for him.

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    I would laugh so hard if that were to happen. I would feel for the kids though who signed up to play for him.
    And, if that happens, I heard Laettner is available ;>)) .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Tweet from Jerry Meyer about 15 mins ago...

@3starmeyer Hearing from a couple reliable sources that Shabazz Muhammad will end up at UCLA.

Quote Originally Posted by dcar1985 View Post
    Tweet from Jerry Meyer about 15 mins ago...

@3starmeyer Hearing from a couple reliable sources that Shabazz Muhammad will end up at UCLA.
    I wonder if one of the sources is adidas...

How could someone choose UCLA right now? Unless all of these reports about the program/Howland are false, I can't understand why a big time player would risk going there.

Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    How could someone choose UCLA right now? Unless all of these reports about the program/Howland are false, I can't understand why a big time player would risk going there.
    1. It's LA, which always helps.
    2. I think a lot of the UCLA stuff centered around Reeves Nelson, who is gone.
    3. They have a really good player (Kyle Anderson) who makes everyone around him better with his court vision and passing ability.
    4. They are in the mix for several top prospects this year. Good players like to play with other good players.

what is missing

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post

Haven't seen any announcement of an NCAA investigation into the UK BB program, but if Cal is contemplating a move, something is probably in the works... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    I wouldn't feel too bad for them myself. Those guys are just using the school as a means to an end. Cal would be doing the same thing.

What I will enjoy seeing is the reaction from the Kentucky fans, who will go from worshipping at the altar of Calipari to crucifying him for being a sellout in about 4 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    1. It's LA, which always helps.
    2. I think a lot of the UCLA stuff centered around Reeves Nelson, who is gone.
    3. They have a really good player (Kyle Anderson) who makes everyone around him better with his court vision and passing ability.
    4. They are in the mix for several top prospects this year. Good players like to play with other good players.
    Yeah, I think a lot of the negativity has been a little bit overblown or maybe exagerrated. Bazz would have the chance to basically resurrect that program. Also, a few months ago wasn't there a guy around these boards from the LA area who claimed to be in know that Anderson, Bazz and Parker were basically a package deal and were all going to UCLA? Maybe he wasn't so crazy after all.